Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Re: ces 2019

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 pm

@GammaDev

Could not have sad it better myself.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Well how the heck do you advertise a Prime 6 tuner at last years CES fail to deliver it and run out of Prime 3 that sure is some poor planning.
Maybe it was poor planning (before my time). That still doesn't mean the Prime 6's release date has anything to do with these other products.

What some tech blogger says doesn't suddenly become fact. Maybe they got the wrong impression from their conversation or drew their own conclusions, or who knows what, but there's no way that anyone from SiliconDust told them that the Prime 6 was delayed because of other products. I can imagine they kept being bombarded by "where's the Prime 6" questions, and they were constantly trying to steer the conversations back to the new products they just released.

Ahem:
https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8?t=1066
"some of the things that got in front of it are now done and passed and we can now reshift that focus".

..... It's obvious to everyone that SiliconDust has limited resources and the Prime6 got put on the backburner, so stop acting like we're crazy or stupid for thinking that when your CEO just confirmed that reality.
Totally agree. Stop beating around the bush and sugar coating things. We can handle the facts.

dmbmke
Device ID: 10421A53, 1071527A

Postby dmbmke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 pm

I wish they would spin off the software side of the business and just focus on excellent hardware. The software side of things seems perpetually off the rails.

The employees that are in these forums seem to be frustrated with their customers, who are equally frustrated with the absolutely glacial pace of development on myriad projects (UI, DRM, Prime 6, Prium lineup).

The CEO certainly seems to feel the need to increase revenue stability since Premium TV “got ahead” of DRM and Prime 6. I’m sure he’s hoping SD will get scooped up by someone and he’ll walk away with a tidy sum. Meanwhile, we continue to wait for a UI that isn’t out of the 90s.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Meanwhile, we continue to wait for a UI that isn’t out of the 90s.
I have AV equipment I still use from the 90s... specifically Sony and Pioneer laser disc players.

The Sony mid-90's UI consisted of a solid light blue background with white text and a fixed character width font.

Ti Vo Series 1 released about 1999 if I remember correctly (got mine with a 14GB HDD in 2000). Simple white font, a few icons, and two-lines with round end caps for selection. It did have some neat background animations and the be-buup sounds were fun for the first week.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am

I have AV equipment I still use from the 90s... specifically Sony and Pioneer laser disc players.

The Sony mid-90's UI consisted of a solid light blue background with white text and a fixed character width font.

Ti Vo Series 1 released about 1999 if I remember correctly (got mine with a 14GB HDD in 2000). Simple white font, a few icons, and two-lines with round end caps for selection. It did have some neat background animations and the be-buup sounds were fun for the first week.
Bully for you, Nick.

When will I be able to use a mouse to delete an episode on my Mac? It’s been about 6 months now. Or is the mouse too new-fangled for you?

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am

I'd rather see you guys embrace comments on the UI. It needs work, to say the least.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

When will I be able to use a mouse to delete an episode on my Mac? It’s been about 6 months now. Or is the mouse too new-fangled for you?
It's ahead of schedule, 2021 is your year.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am

I'd rather see you guys embrace comments on the UI. It needs work, to say the least.
We do and have, repeatedly, embraced comments about the UI. We have long lists of UI requests that we're considering how to incorporate. This has been an ongoing conversation for literal months. I think injecting a tiny bit of humor into the conversation probably isn't going to end the world.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am

We do and have, repeatedly, embraced comments about the UI. We have long lists of UI requests that we're considering how to incorporate. This has been an ongoing conversation for literal months. I think injecting a tiny bit of humor into the conversation probably isn't going to end the world.
I don't disagree. The humor was lost on me, I guess.

I do like that you guys opened a place to discuss things more casually though. That's a step in embracing your fanbase beyond tech issues.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:16 am

I was starting to think Nick was all business and no play. Good to hear something different from him.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Nick, being able to use my mouse to delete is not a feature. It’s core functionality. I shouldn’t have to request you fix your error in timely manner. It should be standard procedure.

After six months, your attempt at humor falls quite flat.

If your current app doesn’t support a basic function like clicking a button to delete an episode and requires a total redesign from the ground up which you can’t deliver after six months, then you have failed at developing the app.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Well how the heck do you advertise a Prime 6 tuner at last years CES fail to deliver it and run out of Prime 3 that sure is some poor planning.
Maybe it was poor planning (before my time). That still doesn't mean the Prime 6's release date has anything to do with these other products.

What some tech blogger says doesn't suddenly become fact. Maybe they got the wrong impression from their conversation or drew their own conclusions, or who knows what, but there's no way that anyone from SiliconDust told them that the Prime 6 was delayed because of other products. I can imagine they kept being bombarded by "where's the Prime 6" questions, and they were constantly trying to steer the conversations back to the new products they just released.

Ahem:
https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8?t=1066
"some of the things that got in front of it are now done and passed and we can now reshift that focus".

Ned, as one tech professional to another, if you really are tech support, stick to tech support and leave community management to someone else. If you are actually community management (someone who deals with non-tech customer complaints and moderates forums) kindly take the attitude down a notch. It doesn't help SiliconDust when a representative acts like its customer are crazy or being unreasonable about wanting information about products that are six months late (at least because the DVR DRM has been "soon" for over three years). It's obvious to everyone that SiliconDust has limited resources and the Prime6 got put on the backburner, so stop acting like we're crazy or stupid for thinking that when your CEO just confirmed that reality.
My apologies for my unprofessional comments. It's frustrating for me because a lot of the accusations aren't accurate, from my perspective, but they're honestly not unreasonable from your perspective. We can keep saying "believe us", but it's hard for the community to do that when we don't provide any details. Providing a vague reassurance can be worse than saying nothing at all.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Saying nothing at all isn't working so well either. We're told UI is coming... then nothing. We're told Prime 6 is coming... then nothing.

We're told DRM is tied to Prime 6, but never given a reason. Why hold DRM back when people have been waiting for years for it? If it's ready to be certified, get it certified. You owe your customers this.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 am

Is holding DRM certification back and tying it to the Prime 6 to save $$$?

Return to “Future Product Discussion”