prime 6 vs prime 3?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
squirrellydw

Re: prime 6 vs prime 3?

Postby squirrellydw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 pm

I don’t use the DVR part of it but the app for Apple TV works great and they recently released a version for Firetv.

Beefy_Box

Postby Beefy_Box » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm

I am definitely one of the many anxiously waiting for the Prime 6.
Beta Testers need?
Do you have a waiting list?
Please SiliconDust can we get an update?

rmalbers

Postby rmalbers » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

You know, part of me thinks we'll never see it but then again, if SD wasn't going to do a prime 6, I would think they would have restarted production of the prime 3.

pstemper

Postby pstemper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Unless, of course, they want to be VERY serious about "cutting the cord." The Prime model is the only one left that still relies on the cable company.. ;)

Paul

squirrellydw

Postby squirrellydw » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm

More news on the 8th?
Last edited by squirrellydw on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

replayreb

Postby replayreb » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Seeing as how that press release is dated December 4, 2019 we are in for a long wait lol

pstemper

Postby pstemper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

January 8th?? If you look at the release about the Prime 6, it is dated January 8, 2018. So, it was ANNOUNCED LAST year. The article also says "The PRIME 6 is due for release mid 2018 and will be available for the US market only." I am pretty sure MID 2018 is already passed. ;)

rmalbers

Postby rmalbers » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm

That Jan 8 thing got a double look out of me to the first time I saw it, and then saw the year!

Kendog52361

Postby Kendog52361 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Silicondust had an interview with Digital Media Zone, and one of the topics/articles to come out of that was where was the Prime 6?

Here is the Article:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/

Basically, to summarize, the two new products that were announced earlier this week took up the time/replaced the Prime 6 in delivery. They are apparently pretty confident that, barring any unforeseen obstacles, the Prime 6 will be released this year. They don't have a timeline, yet, since they also still need it to go through Cable Labs Certification.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Silicondust had an interview with Digital Media Zone, and one of the topics/articles to come out of that was where was the Prime 6?

Here is the Article:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/

Basically, to summarize, the two new products that were announced earlier this week took up the time/replaced the Prime 6 in delivery. They are apparently pretty confident that, barring any unforeseen obstacles, the Prime 6 will be released this year. They don't have a timeline, yet, since they also still need it to go through Cable Labs Certification.
Neither of those product announcements sounds all that interesting when compared to the 6 tuner Prime. There’s also some value in sticking to announced release plans. The 6 tuner Prime feels like it’s been in the pipeline for a LONG time now and it’s more than a bit surprising to hear that it hasn’t gone through CableLabs certification yet, given that it was supposed to ship in 2018.

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF

Postby uconnctfan33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:31 am

Its really sad and frustrating that all of us Cablecard users who don't have any way to use the OTA products are left in the dust with no information at all. As much as I love the original Prime and the company, it really has me and i'm sure others, questioning if we want to stay with their products. :(

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 am

Its really sad and frustrating that all of us Cablecard users who don't have any way to use the OTA products are left in the dust with no information at all. As much as I love the original Prime and the company, it really has me and i'm sure others, questioning if we want to stay with their products. :(
Our only other option would be to switch to cable company provided DVRs or ****, neither of which is an attractive option to me. I currently have 3 of the old Primes, but would love to replace them with the new 6 tuner Prime to add some tuners to my system. I could replace the 3 old Primes with 2 new Primes, gain 3 tuners, and drop the cost of 1 CableCard per month. Yes, I know there's a "minor" flaw in the math given the cost of the new tuners being higher than the resale value of the old tuners :).

It would also be nice in some ways to switch to SD's DVR software to finally be able to switch away from Windows Media Center, but the DRM situation means it really isn't an option. Last time I checked, it sounded like it still wasn't really in a state where I'd be comfortable replacing WMC with it.

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF

Postby uconnctfan33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:58 am

I’ve been wanting to add more tuners but can’t see getting another prime. I’ve been patiently waiting for the Prime 6, but now that it’s been over a year, my patience is running thin, like many others. For each cable card in my area it’s $8 a month. To have more then one doesn’t make it worth having my own equipment. I’m in need of more tuners and I’ve tried getting the Quattro for OTA. After trying many antennas my location doesn’t give me anything except ION and PBS. Both of which I do not need. I am hoping by the end of the CES event they’ll have some update on a potential release date.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 am

I am hoping by the end of the CES event they’ll have some update on a potential release date.
I doubt we're going to get any updates beyond what was posted several posts above this one in the link to the article on The Digital Media Zone. Clearly the 6 tuner Prime isn't their top priority, presumably because they decided the other products would sell better and/or generate more profit for the company (CableLabs certification is a relatively expensive process).

DrSmith

Postby DrSmith » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 am

Isn't it possible that CableLabs has simply stopped approving new CableCard end user, mass market devices? They would never announce this, or make it public policy, but it might be what the Cable Cos really want. They'll just string SD along for years, never quite allowing the Prime6 to be approved. Yes, I realize this could be a conspiracy theory, but seems worth considering at this point

Return to “Future Product Discussion”