When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
nickk
Silicondust

Re: When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 am

If a "standard" guide with a schedule is in the works for the new UI I would love to see it. If not, I'll probably go with Plex or Emby. I will be testing HDHomeRun Premium so compatibility with that is a must.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]
Okay, that's all I needed to hear, I'll cancel my subscription to the HDHomeRun DVR service.
Hi daChurchPcGuy,

To clarify, JeffRand doesn't work for or represent Silicondust.

We are working to add useful features and improve the user experience so customers want to use the HDHomeRun DVR every day. You will start to see regular updates and improvements once the internal architecture upgrade release is out.

Nick

smithkt

Postby smithkt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 am

Okay, that's all I needed to hear, I'll cancel my subscription to the HDHomeRun DVR service.
Hi daChurchPcGuy,

We are working to add useful features and improve the user experience so customers want to use the HDHomeRun DVR every day. You will start to see regular updates and improvements once the internal architecture upgrade release is out.

Nick
Any updates on when that architectural upgrade will be released?

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi daChurchPcGuy,

Nick
So, will there be a schedule type guide coming? That would be enough for me to wait a bit before committing to a DVR solution. So long as it doesn't take too long to arrive.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:47 pm

So, will there be a schedule type guide coming? That would be enough for me to wait a bit before committing to a DVR solution. So long as it doesn't take too long to arrive.
There has been no indication that SD plans on offering a grid guide of any sort.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:35 am

There has been no indication that SD plans on offering a grid guide of any sort.
RockandRoller70, kudos, you are the poster person for diplomacy. IIRC some at SD have seemed to be openly hostile to the need for guide or the value of a guide, or the willingness to even discuss a guide. Nate has indicated earlier in this thread that SD is open to discussing the guide sometime in the future. But it seems to me that Nate is new and may not be up to speed on the sore point that a guide discussion seems to be to some at SD. At least this is how I felt after reading some of the forum messages, hopefully I'm wrong and its just a poor choice of words on SD's part or my understanding of the intent.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Nope, pretty much everyone is on board with at least looking at ways to integrate a full guide. I've even given a short presentation on how something like that might look within our existing UI. Right now the challenge would be designing and coding something up that get the thumbs up. Just more time and people.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Nope, pretty much everyone is on board with at least looking at ways to integrate a full guide. I've even given a short presentation on how something like that might look within our existing UI. Right now the challenge would be designing and coding something up that get the thumbs up. Just more time and people.
Good to hear, I stand temporarily corrected.

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:49 pm

I've decided to move to emby for the time being. It has a good guide, I can customize parts of the UI, and it takes considerably less CPU power on the server side.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I've decided to move to emby for the time being. It has a good guide, I can customize parts of the UI, and it takes considerably less CPU power on the server side.
Emby takes considerably less power than HDHR does on the server side? Are you sure? HDHR runs fine on a cheap low power NAS.
Last edited by GetMatt on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Not sure about that because Emby sometimes transcodes and remuxes the files. The HDHomerun DVR streams the file as it is.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:01 am

For the two and a half years I've been here, there has never been a single inkling from anyone at SD that a grid guide could or would be considered.

And this goes directly against some of the statements made by Ted Head that were understood to mean implementing a guide would effect their cost structure (i.e. one price no matter how many clients).

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm

For the two and a half years I've been here, there has never been a single inkling from anyone at SD that a grid guide could or would be considered.

And this goes directly against some of the statements made by Ted Head that were understood to mean implementing a guide would effect their cost structure (i.e. one price no matter how many clients).
Not only that, but it was reiterated time and again that the slice guide and "Discovery" tab was THE way of the future as far as TV viewing and guides were concerned, regardless of what the users demanded. In short, a grid-based guide would never find its way into SD software, because that was the past and SD's interface was the future.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Not only that, but it was reiterated time and again that the slice guide and "Discovery" tab was THE way of the future as far as TV viewing and guides were concerned, regardless of what the users demanded. In short, a grid-based guide would never find its way into SD software, because that was the past and SD's interface was the future.
What is funny is PLEX thought the same thing but they had to eventually give in and provide grid guide.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Well, I guess we'll see what happens. :)

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Emby takes considerably less power than HDHR does on the server side? Are you sure? HDHR runs fine on a cheap low power NAS.
Sorry, I guess I should have made it more clear.

HDHR DVR does not provide a traditional guide. (Traditional guide like DirecTV, Comcast, etc.) My comparison was between Plex and Emby. I ran both on the same machine. I tried an HDHR Extend and a Quatro in both configurations. No matter what I did Plex consumed far more resources than Emby.

I am REALLY pleased with the HDHR hardware although I didn't see a substantial difference in performance between the Extend and Quatro. When I say that I mean overall performance: server, LAN, client. I'm running a decent i5 with 16GB RAM as a server, Gigabit hardwired LAN with QoS switches, Amazon Fire TV 4K sticks. All of it brand new, except for a couple pieces of the LAN.

I've pulled the Extend out of the setup and will probably get another Quatro if I like the HDHR Premium service. I understand it takes out a tuner when you watch/record a Premium channel. I RARELY watch live TV, I can't stand commercials. I record everything I can.
Last edited by daChurchPcGuy on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”