When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

Postby ACraigo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am

... then provide something for us to believe in other than, "Trust us it'll be ok."
That's where Plex is, but users stopped trusting Plex LONG ago. SD doesn't want to be like Plex. SD wants to be more like Emby. <--- the guys poised to take Plex's lunch money...

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am

It was great of Nick to let us know about the UI update but then it 'disappeared'. There were tweets about it, write ups about it online but it appears no one in this forum has seen it. As they were mentioned many months ago as being close, I can understand why many are frustrated.
Add to that the fact that there are no more Prime devices for sale and no idea when the Prime 6 will be out (or a restock of the original Prime) and it is easy it wonder what's going on. It has been a very long time and patience is wearing thin with many.

I'm asked before for a timeline of what we can expect per quarter.......not a guarantee but what SD wants to happen and when it is expected to happen but I can understand why this has not been shared.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 am

I'm asked before for a timeline of what we can expect per quarter.......not a guarantee but what SD wants to happen and when it is expected to happen but I can understand why this has not been shared.
Honestly, I'd love to provide something like this, but doing so is the worst thing a group producing something can possibly do. If I could go back and time and suggest not putting a release date on anything, I'd do so. Heck, in my ideal world, the majority of people still wouldn't know that development on a Prime 6 exists. The reason I'd love to provide it is because it means we have magical powers, as the only way to assure a release date in hardware from more than a quarter out is with literal magic powers. With software it's marginally easier, but that's literally only because a group can put out the buggiest piece of junk on the planet and say, "Look, a release."

The reason I don't want future projects out there is because all it does is upset everyone. In hardware and software development, something slipping by 6 months or more is really, really common. I was part of a raspberry pi case sale, and THAT slipped something like 4 months. And it was literally just a piece of metal with some painted plastic.

When we say what we're working on, the tenor of that statement will gradually change over time, and people will grow to depend on it. "You said you were working on this, so I put off this purchase, and now I've been putting off this purchase for 9 months. YOU OWE ME."

I'm not in charge of announcements, but when I have the opportunity to provide input, I'm always going to push for not announcing anything new until things are within a week or two. Or heck, when they're done and ready to ship tomorrow would also be fine.

I have no objection to making that announcement in the forum first. Though there are various rules around press releases that require a forum announcement to coincide pretty closely with public news.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am

Nate, I definitely see your points and can say I agree with much of what was said and thank you for that. So, was the update announcement a mistake? Was it rolled out to anyone at all?
I guess now that the cat's out the bag, it's too late but it sure caused unneeded confusion for many.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Oh, no, update announcement still fits my 2 week window theory. We're trying very hard to get it going this week (again, save for android because of fire tv).

My main concern at this point is whether we've successfully set expectations. The new UI really isn't that different visually right now. All of the work to this point, with some limited exceptions, is to get to a point where we have a framework that we can quickly and easily upgrade, which means entirely new everything underneath, but from a visual perspective it'll look the same. And there will certainly be more bugs to start, because it's effectively an entirely new app.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Oh, no, update announcement still fits my 2 week window theory. We're trying very hard to get it going this week (again, save for android because of fire tv).

My main concern at this point is whether we've successfully set expectations. The new UI really isn't that different visually right now. All of the work to this point, with some limited exceptions, is to get to a point where we have a framework that we can quickly and easily upgrade, which means entirely new everything underneath, but from a visual perspective it'll look the same. And there will certainly be more bugs to start, because it's effectively an entirely new app.
Nate, What would be good to know are some facts.

For example, lets say you have made a list of possible UI improvements. Common sense indicates that some of those are already decided as will do, some are may do, and some are likely will never do. What I would like to see is the list of what is likely to be considered as part of the first few rounds of improvements (does not include may do, or never do).

Put another way, what UI improvements does SD consider first up? Don't need a schedule. Don't need a promise of which ones will be released first or any type of priority. But which improvements does SD agree as needed regardless of time frame or sequence?

Now some of these improvements may be considered for different reasons. For example, some may be dead simple to do and its just easier to get them out of the way. Some may be more complex, but are highly wanted by the users base or SD. So they may be on the list because they will take a long time, or because they are high priority to SD or users.

So for these agreed improvements it would be nice to know roughly why they are on the initial list.

Thanks,

Neil

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Here's the list of already dones:
  • New means of browsing discover more efficiently
  • redone padding
  • a settings page that's easily accessible
  • easier access to search on slice
  • we added a clock (no one was asking for this, but we had some extra space and it took like 3 seconds)
These are all done. They were picked first primarily because they were either low hanging fruit or (in the case of Discover) the old way was just that bad. Most of them were done or partially done before I even started.

Right now we have a list of user-requested features for the future, but at present we aren't spending a lot of time focusing on them, because everyone involved is handling bug fixes. But what I have done is created a private github repo and pulled everything from that thread you made, neil, and created individual tickets for every feature. I then went to several related threads and pulled tickets there too. I think total, after adjusting and combining some features and requests where it made sense to, we've got 33 open tickets. A few of those are bugs or regressions, but most are user requests and features.

Once we've gotten to the point where all platforms work equally well on the current feature set, we'll begin ranking requests. For example, the thing you ranked first on your list is first on mine as well, but could take more time to develop and code. I've already begin wire-framing and visualizing that particular request though, because I think it's that important. If there is any more low hanging and important fruit, we may attack that first or at the same time, but if all of this development is really focused around giving more control to the user, your first item is the obvious no-brainer to really start focusing on asap.

I'd love to give you more info, but frankly there's not much more to give. At the moment, it's all hands on deck for bug fixing.

edit: And I should probably say we've not thrown any ideas out. When we can, we'll re-examine a guide. We've already spent some time talking about it and how it could theoretically work into the flow of the app. This is absolutely not a promise that it'll happen, but we're at least talking about it.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 pm

[*] we added a clock (no one was asking for this, but we had some extra space and it took like 3 seconds)
I have been for 2 years :D

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 pm

[*] we added a clock (no one was asking for this, but we had some extra space and it took like 3 seconds)
I have been for 2 years :D
Me too …. :lol:

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 am

but thanks for adding a clock... :D

dialitup

Postby dialitup » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 am

A clock is a great idea. I've had many moments where I could've used one, and was always disappointed there wasn't one - but, never actually asked for one to be added.

smassey22180

Postby smassey22180 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:47 am

+1 on the clock! That is one of the many WMC features that I still try to use and get disappointed it is not there. Ultimate TV, ****, WMC all seemed to use the same basic UI and functionality. I do wish SD would just copy what most of use have been using for the past 20 years. All I want are the features on the TV ribbon of WMC.

ZacMan
Device ID: 10115FF2, 1033A485, 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Postby ZacMan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 am

The clock is one of the biggest missing items for me along with the previous channel option. Can't wait for the new UI. :lol:

cncb

Postby cncb » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:21 am

We're trying very hard to get it going this week (again, save for android because of fire tv).
It stinks that (it sounds like) us Android TV users will have to do without because of the Fire TV.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am

We're trying very hard to get it going this week (again, save for android because of fire tv).
It stinks that (it sounds like) us Android TV users will have to do without because of the Fire TV.
If that is the case, I'll do my best to keep ongoing updates about Fire TV. The issue is a performance one. For some reason roughly similar hardware on Fire TV performs substantially worse than hardware on regular Android. Last night we may have had a mini-breakthrough in narrowing down the cause. Will know more once engineeering has had some coffee or red bull or whatever.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”