not soon???

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
DodgersFan

Re: not soon???

Postby DodgersFan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 pm

As long as there are blackout rules for sport teams, there will remain one major reason why TV Streaming services just don’t cut it.

I was going to get a Prime 3 but by the time I was ready SD stopped selling them :( I’ve been monitoring the Prime 6 landing page for some time but right now I’m growing more and more concerned with that product.

At the very least, there should be a mailing list we can subscribe to to know when it is finally released!

DodgersFan

Postby DodgersFan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:06 pm

This is a case study on how to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.
:lol:

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:23 pm

The PRIME 6 hasn't entered production yet.

Nick
Based on the above coupled with the fact that 3 tuner primes are no longer available...I purchased a used 3 tuner prime on Ebay for <$50.

If my Prime dies, I want to be able to replace it ASAP. We are dependent on a cable card solution...in order to circumvent Comcast STB fees. DRM recording is paramount on our wish list...but even without, the loss of our single Prime would be costly. The anticipated cost of a 6 tuner Prime was feasible for us...but only if DRM recording became available.

As there have been no updates re: DRM recording, I felt compelled to ensure that we could at least maintain our “status quo” for the near future.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 am

Since the 6-tuner and DRM are inexplicably tied together and the 6-tuner is not in production and it's now October 10th....

Nick is telling us that no DRM recording or 6-tuner in 2018.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am

The PRIME 6 hasn't entered production yet.

Nick
Based on the above coupled with the fact that 3 tuner primes are no longer available...I purchased a used 3 tuner prime on Ebay for <$50.

If my Prime dies, I want to be able to replace it ASAP. We are dependent on a cable card solution...in order to circumvent Comcast STB fees. DRM recording is paramount on our wish list...but even without, the loss of our single Prime would be costly. The anticipated cost of a 6 tuner Prime was feasible for us...but only if DRM recording became available.

As there have been no updates re: DRM recording, I felt compelled to ensure that we could at least maintain our “status quo” for the near future.
I am sticking with the 2 Primes I have but if they fail and no 6 tuner is available I am done with Silicon Dust DVR.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am

After more thought, I think it's apparent what's going on.

They're tying the 6-tuner to DRM recording because if they can't deliver DRM recording on any platform, they can never charge for it as that was a promise they made. The yearly fees wouldn't start until they delivered full functionality with protected content recording.

If they can't charge, they can never make money on it.

They really should give the users a choice rather than pull the plug on it if that were the case.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am

Really sounds to me like if they don't get approval, they're going to exit this space and push their PremiumTV.

They realized they were late to the game in a changing space and decided to bail.

Something really doesn't smell right here.
This is not going to happen. We remain dedicated to producing the Prime 6. As nice as PremiumTV is, it is not a replacement for those who genuinely want cable tv. It is a supplement for those happy with cordcutting who want to expand their line-up with a few extra channels. We consider those two different categories, and our goal is to be dominant in both the cordcutting category and the Prime's cordshaving category. It is unfortunate that the Prime 6 is taking longer than we might have liked, but we are continuing working to produce it.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am

At the very least, there should be a mailing list we can subscribe to to know when it is finally released!
There is a mailing list. It's our standard mailing list. https://www.silicondust.com/contact/

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Postby Keenan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am

The page with the Subscribe button that doesn't appear to be working?

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am

... and our goal is to be dominant in both the cordcutting category and the Prime's cordshaving category.
A side point here, to be "dominant" SD really should consider fixing some of the more blatant bugs it has in its current software (viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69842). Just a suggestion.

Gary

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:49 am

Really sounds to me like if they don't get approval, they're going to exit this space and push their PremiumTV.

They realized they were late to the game in a changing space and decided to bail.

This is not going to happen. We remain dedicated to producing the Prime 6. As nice as PremiumTV is, it is not a replacement for those who genuinely want cable tv. It is a supplement for those happy with cordcutting who want to expand their line-up with a few extra channels. We consider those two different categories, and our goal is to be dominant in both the cordcutting category and the Prime's cordshaving category. It is unfortunate that the Prime 6 is taking longer than we might have liked, but we are continuing working to produce it.
With the delay on the Prime 6 is DRM recording still tied to the release of the new Prime or is it possible DRM recording will be available prior to the Prime 6?

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Postby Bobstr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Wow, just wow. The 6 tuner is not in production and 3 tuner is no longer available.

So if my hardware dies, I'm not SOL and will have to move to another solution. If that happens, guess what? I'm never coming back.

This is a case study on how to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.
Nice bait and switch bait us with the 6 tuner switch to PremiumTV.
They're either clueless when it comes to business or they're only willing to commit to the 6-tuner Prime dependent on approval of recordable protected content. Otherwise, why tie the release of the hardware to that feature? Why would you let your supply chain dry up something you you keep telling us is still a priority and a key product? Really sounds to me like if they don't get approval, they're going to exit this space and push their PremiumTV.

Let's not act like this scenario is something out of the ordinary for a corporation to do. It's something that happens so regularly in the tech world that it's not unusual at all.

Is there something nefarious going on? Not likely. There usually isn't with most tech companies.
Is there a case of bad timing, or a timing that changed because of an unexpected delay? No serious company is going to provide the level of detail that you're asking for - 1) because a statement thought to be true when the company makes it can be considered a SEC violation if they don't do it exactly correctly, or if they end up wrong due to conditions they didn't foresee when they make the statement. 2) because you folks who're complaining about not hearing anything further would scream bloody murder if they did make a statement that turned out to be wrong because of conditions they didn't know about when they told you. 3) very few companies - tech or otherwise - says much of anything about products other than when they announce it and when they finally deliver that product to the retail chain.

Will the 6 tuner Prime come out 'soon'? Probably. Will it be tied to ability to record DRM? Seems so. Why did they tie the two together? We'll likely never be told (which isn't unusual for any tech company), and the reasons may or may not be easily identified once they do deliver the product.

(no, I'm not associated with SD in any way other than being a consumer and purchaser of 2 of the 3 tuner Primes and the DVR software)

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

With the delay on the Prime 6 is DRM recording still tied to the release of the new Prime or is it possible DRM recording will be available prior to the Prime 6?
It's possible this is a situation where I'm too new to the org to know the answer? I've never heard of this tying DRM recording to Prime 6. As I understand it, those are on different development tracks, so there's no reason one would delay the other. Then again, I'm not personally intimately involved with either thing, so take my knowledge for the grain of salt that it is. Maybe they are tied, and I just haven't been told about it yet? That's possible. It's all far enough out that we haven't gotten to my part of dealing with it yet.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

It's possible this is a situation where I'm too new to the org to know the answer? I've never heard of this tying DRM recording to Prime 6. As I understand it, those are on different development tracks, so there's no reason one would delay the other. Then again, I'm not personally intimately involved with either thing, so take my knowledge for the grain of salt that it is. Maybe they are tied, and I just haven't been told about it yet? That's possible. It's all far enough out that we haven't gotten to my part of dealing with it yet.
Nickk has mentioned the connection between the two a few times and it was mentioned in the interview with Lon.

Sorahl

Postby Sorahl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Return to “Future Product Discussion”