Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by nateb » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:30 pm

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:02 pm
nateb wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:55 pm
the old Prime will likely handle DRM recording exactly the same as the 6 tuner does.
Likely?

:roll:
I'm not a dev. I don't make definite statements that I can't 100% back up.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:14 pm

nateb wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 pm
If everyone is asking for the Prime 6, we're going to assume they want the Prime 6.
You heard it here first folks. SD never fails to amaze. They tie the Prime 6 to DRM and are now telling us that people don't really seem to want DRM.

You can't make this stuff up.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:14 pm
nateb wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 pm
If everyone is asking for the Prime 6, we're going to assume they want the Prime 6.
You heard it here first folks. SD never fails to amaze. They tie the Prime 6 to DRM and are now telling us that people don't really seem to want DRM.

You can't make this stuff up.
I haven't actually made any statement about DRM, though I do enjoy people putting words into my mouth. There have been many other threads that are specific to DRM that make it clear that people want it as well. I'm just wondering why people who evidently care more about DRM than Prime 6 didn't latch onto those threads. Heck, there are two of those threads just a few rows down from this one.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:13 am

nateb wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm
I haven't actually made any statement about DRM, though I do enjoy people putting words into my mouth. There have been many other threads that are specific to DRM that make it clear that people want it as well. I'm just wondering why people who evidently care more about DRM than Prime 6 didn't latch onto those threads. Heck, there are two of those threads just a few rows down from this one.
I was responding to DRM because it was brought up in this thread by someone else. But, again, SD is the one that inexplicably tied the PRIME 6 to DRM so it's very relevant to discuss in this thread anyhow.

jeffddntdt

Post by jeffddntdt » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:43 am

If I remember correctly, one of the big selling points about the Prime 6 was that it could handle DRM. I also assume along with hardware issues, part of the delay is getting DRM certification. My understanding is production has gone something like, find hardware-develop- get certification, and now hardware not available. Start again.

From what I get from all this is some people need it to handle DRM or it's worthless (Spectrum people). On the other hand, I being on Comcast don't need to worry about DRM (forgive me if I'm wrong, Cable companies screw us last because Im out west). I want the 6 tuner so I need fewer cablecards, because they almost charge the same for the card as the box. Prime for DVR-ing and comcast app for live tv.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:13 am
nateb wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm
I was responding to DRM because it was brought up in this thread by someone else. But, again, SD is the one that inexplicably tied the PRIME 6 to DRM so it's very relevant to discuss in this thread anyhow.
DRM-recording support is independent from the specific hardware being used, and DRM support will be available for all existing PRIME users and future PRIME 6 users. DRM-recording support is only about recording and playing back the DRM content. The original PRIME is already able to send DRM-channel video to the recording software/device, so it isn't a factor when it comes to supporting the recording portion of the equation.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm

jeffddntdt wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:43 am
If I remember correctly, one of the big selling points about the Prime 6 was that it could handle DRM. I also assume along with hardware issues, part of the delay is getting DRM certification. My understanding is production has gone something like, find hardware-develop- get certification, and now hardware not available. Start again.

From what I get from all this is some people need it to handle DRM or it's worthless (Spectrum people). On the other hand, I being on Comcast don't need to worry about DRM (forgive me if I'm wrong, Cable companies screw us last because Im out west). I want the 6 tuner so I need fewer cablecards, because they almost charge the same for the card as the box. Prime for DVR-ing and comcast app for live tv.
When it comes to the tuner, there is no specific DRM certification. There's just CableCARD certification, which includes DRM-restricted channels. The original PRIME has the same certification, which is why you can use the original PRIME with Windows Media Center to make DRM recordings, and why the HDHomeRun app can do live DRM-channel playback.

Stellarspace

Post by Stellarspace » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:13 pm

NedS wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm
jeffddntdt wrote:

When it comes to the tuner, there is no specific DRM certification. There's just CableCARD certification, which includes DRM-restricted channels. The original PRIME has the same certification, which is why you can use the original PRIME with Windows Media Center to make DRM recordings, and why the HDHomeRun app can do live DRM-channel playback.
When will DRM content viewing be available on macOS and tvOS?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Stellarspace wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:13 pm
NedS wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm
jeffddntdt wrote:

When will DRM content viewing be available on macOS and tvOS?
I'm willing to bet that tvOS has similar protection systems as normal iOS, so once we have an app for tvOS then it shouldn't be an issue to support DRM (in theory).

MacOS is a different story. There is no practical way to secure/protect the video on MacOS, and it doesn't have the options we have in iOS. There is hope that Apple will continue to bridge the gaps between iOS and MacOS and make some of those secure path APIs available on the desktop.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:42 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Dare I ask if the current work on the UI has influence on the timeline of the Prime 6?
Not really. One uses react libraries and web development, the other is mostly engineering and cablecard stuff. Even things like DRM would be handled by a different developer who works on the playback code (and other core things).
[removed by moderator]

urbnsr

Post by urbnsr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am

I came here today hoping to find a Christmas present of Prime 6 available for sale.

Bummer!
;-)

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:47 am

I would promote it coming out in 2022 ! So if it comes out before that you look like hero's !!! :lol:

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:13 pm

DRM channels for me...they are the premium things i don't care about and cost an arm and a leg more per month.
I mean, basic cable is over $100 these days. TO get the normal well watched channels, u pay $160+...add on HBO, Showtime, Startz, Adult, dedicated sports pakcages...ura $250 a month. U can now get acces to those same channels and programs VOD for a fraction of that per month via online streaming.

I just wanted more tuners for my current setup...so that i don't have to be as picky as to having to stagnate recording repeats at different times, or conflicts for my live tv watching times and have things fail due to no tuner available. and not have to pay more per month for additional cable cards. Now i can now get a cable card at comcast as they switched to their Stream box things called Flex. it is Free to u if u have cable AND internet package...i refuse to get their horse apples internet.

O well....more a reason that is pushing cable tv hold outs like me to just go streaming. Even that is becoming more into the home DVR world, as TVE access is a thing.

comet48

Post by comet48 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm

[MOD EDIT: removed FUD - NS]

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 pm

comet48 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm
[MOD EDIT: removed FUD - NS]
Holy cow! I hadn't realized that it still being offered as a product on the website.

It even mentions:
PDF downloads

PRIME6 Flyer coming 2019
Quick Start Guide coming 2019

That go nowhere, not to mention it's 2020!