6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
speedingcheetah

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:05 pm

i dont expect this product anytime soon..not for years or at all...clearly shown by their removal of advertising and a "back to the drawing board" type notice
And that others should consider other alternatives...
Last edited by speedingcheetah on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 am

And... if SD was transparent and forthcoming all along, people would be much more understanding.

But that statement is very self-serving. It was already acknowledged by SD personnel that the Prime 6 was "put on hold" when they were working on Premium TV and other projects.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:46 am

well that sucks that it is delayed again, but sounds like it not in their control so it is what it is.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 am

This is the main reason I decided to go with Channels DVR at least they offer TV Everywhere which has most of the channels I watch it is like having another Prime with unlimited tuners.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:03 am

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 am
And... if SD was transparent and forthcoming all along, people would be much more understanding.

But that statement is very self-serving. It was already acknowledged by SD personnel that the Prime 6 was "put on hold" when they were working on Premium TV and other projects.
That because of mounting pressure by all of us.
As components that were sold off or they could have been jack-up the price way to high or could have ready stop production on that part before they where able secure a mass buy contract to start mass production which usually happen after all development is said and done with all involved parties give it a green light.
If I recall right wasn't that the reason same why the three tuner model is no longer being sold by SD and my guest it had to do with Qualcomm which I'm sure they good reason for it if only SD was the only one buy them old parts.
Hopefully they make a come back with Premium TV service but I not going to get my hope's on that one I just have stick to Analog Capture Recording and OTA.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Off-topic posts have been removed. Please direct discussion of the Channels DVR and its features to their forums, https://community.getchannels.com/.

Captainmal

Post by Captainmal » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:52 am

Jason and Ned,

I'm still excited for the prime 6. The prime 3 serves we well right now but I see need for a 6 in the future. That being said has SD considered a Kickstarter campaign? I know it sounds wierd especially at this point but maybe it would be the way to go. Hear me out. It would allow SD to clearly see exactly how much demand there is for the device. And since SD would collect the money up front they would be able to buy the chipsets they need in mass (with discount? Not sure how SD orders chipsets now). And since the chipsets are already purchased the devices could be finished and shipped. And if a chipsets goes off market then you can work behind the scenes on a new one when working threw existing stock. That way all parties should be happy. The only ones left to complain will be the "My gen 1 has xx chipsets and the gen 2 has yy chipsets which is better."

Please pass this idea along.

Thanks for your time.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 am

Captainmal wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:52 am
Jason and Ned,

I'm still excited for the prime 6. The prime 3 serves we well right now but I see need for a 6 in the future. That being said has SD considered a Kickstarter campaign? I know it sounds wierd especially at this point but maybe it would be the way to go. Hear me out. It would allow SD to clearly see exactly how much demand there is for the device. And since SD would collect the money up front they would be able to buy the chipsets they need in mass (with discount? Not sure how SD orders chipsets now). And since the chipsets are already purchased the devices could be finished and shipped. And if a chipsets goes off market then you can work behind the scenes on a new one when working threw existing stock. That way all parties should be happy. The only ones left to complain will be the "My gen 1 has xx chipsets and the gen 2 has yy chipsets which is better."

Thanks for your time.
Wasnt this product initially crowd funded years ago?
Thought i read posts on here saying so...

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:10 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 am
Captainmal wrote:
Jason and Ned,

Thanks for your time.
Wasnt this product initially crowd funded years ago?
Thought i read posts on here saying so...
Yes there was a Kickstarter campaign but that was for DVR server software not hardware

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:21 pm

I see your post but that's really outside the bounds of what we can comment on in support.

jmcguire525

Post by jmcguire525 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Captainmal wrote:
That being said has SD considered a Kickstarter campaign?
You want a company that is notorious for missing launch dates to do another kickstarter? Please tell me you are new here.

zimberto

Post by zimberto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 am

At this point I think we can stop waiting for the 6-tuner model and make other plans instead. If you want 6 cable TV tuners then buy two used 3-tuner models. Of course, if you have Comcast you'll be paying $10/month for that extra cable card but c'est la vie. As time goes on I think supporting cable TV tuners will become an increasingly less profitable venture, and this will not be helped by cable providers dragging their heels on any implementation. Not having you use their cable box is a big loss of control and insight into your viewing habits. When I look at my own viewing habits I realize that I see is precious little worth watching on cable and so am actively looking for streaming alternatives for when my cable contract ends. And I'm old school!

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am

jmcguire525 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm
You want a company that is notorious for missing launch dates to do another kickstarter? Please tell me you are new here.
It's going on 5 years. It's more than "missing launch dates", it's failing to deliver. When you take people's money ahead of time, you have added responsibility.

And they refuse to explain why it's necessary to tie recording protected content to the Prime 6. There's no reason to do that. It's simply a delay tactic. If I'm wrong, explain it.

It seems unethical to hold back the key feature you took people's money for, without explanation.

If recording protected content is doable, then RELEASE IT.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am
And they refuse to explain why it's necessary to tie recording protected content to the Prime 6. There's no reason to do that. It's simply a delay tactic. If I'm wrong, explain it.
Did you ever hear of Digital Millennium Copyright Act and RIAA and MPPA then the FCC Rule and Local channel and all other big players which start out as open channel end up becoming protected content

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 pm

shspvr wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am
Did you ever hear of Digital Millennium Copyright Act and RIAA and MPPA then the FCC Rule and Local channel and all other big players which start out as open channel end up becoming protected content
You're confused.