6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jmcguire525

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by jmcguire525 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:28 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm
that's still the only information I have and am allowed to say about the PRIME 6's progress.

I'm confused about your choice of words here, are you suggesting that you have other information that you aren't allowed to share?

If there is a hold-up with cablelabs or anywhere else in the pipeline, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and announce that and change the "coming in 2019" message now, rather than continuing to anger customers with unrealistic expectations?

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:52 am

jmcguire525 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:28 am
I'm confused about your choice of words here, are you suggesting that you have other information that you aren't allowed to share?
Well it's rather obvious
jmcguire525 wrote:
If there is a hold-up with cablelabs or anywhere else in the pipeline, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and announce that and change the "coming in 2019" message now, rather than continuing to anger customers with unrealistic expectations?
Anger customers ? more like anger little children if ask me with no patient what so ever after all Rome wasn't build in day.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am

jmcguire525 wrote:
NedS wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm
that's still the only information I have and am allowed to say about the PRIME 6's progress.

I'm an employee, and there's always information that I'm not allowed to share. Even positive information, because there are plans about when to announce things or other features/parts that need to be set up first. Regarding the PRIME 6, I don't have any special or detailed information. I work from home, answering support e-mails, occasionally helping out on the forum, and improving our online documentation (those developers never want to write the manual). I get little tidbits here and there, and I have my own guesses about various things (the HDHomeRun line of smoked turkey meat and organic cheese, it makes perfect sense!), but for the most part I'm with you guys, bugging the bosses every so often with "are we there yet?".

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 pm

NedS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am
(the HDHomeRun line of smoked turkey meat and organic cheese, it makes perfect sense!),
Ack! That was a secret for the holidays! Every black friday customer would get one pound of smoked turkey breast! Now the secret is out!

:)

... j/k to be clear

tekinabox

Post by tekinabox » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Browsing the Servio "Setup Guide" https://www.silicondust.com/wordpress/w ... r-2019.pdf DTD April 2019. It shows images of the new Prime 6 and its "Setup procedure" (not the cable card pairing process so it may not be the actual Prime 6 "Set up Guide") then directs you to go to HDHR setup landing page for cable card activation.

Interestingly enough, this quick setup guide has yet to make it onto the Prime 6 landing page (the links redirect you to the landing page).

Plus it looks like they are incorporating it pretty seamlessly into their website (it is literally linked all over the place) and updated images and the like.

So, at least we are assured it is getting closer.

Side note:
The Servio product seems to only target people who either don't have an always on computer or want a low power network HDD specifically for their DVR setup. I guess it could also be for people who want a nice little stack of HDHR devices. I really hope HDHR tested their products in a literal product stack for cooling because they look soo stackable.

WJKramer

Post by WJKramer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi there. I was eagerly awaiting the release of the P6 when announced a long time ago. I kinda gave up waiting and eventually cut the cord and moved on to a TV streaming service. These services have since increased in pricing so much that it became cheaper to return to cable. Last month I fired up my old P3 and cable card...which I never returned. After figuring out the Comcast had switched to 720p @60fps in my area while I was away, causing much confusion on my part on why I couldn't get 1080p like before, I forgot how wonderful this little device is. I revisited the SD website today to check out the P6. Holy cow! This thing still isn't out yet?!? It's been like 2 years! Anyways you guys have gave me a lot to read over and unfortunately it's not looking to good for the P6. Super happy I hung on to the P3! Cheers!

mayorville

Post by mayorville » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 pm

The thing was announced last year and in multiple threads, the response from staff is "end of 2019". How much patience is people supposed to have? While we still have a little over 2 more months, I'm not getting any warm and fuzzies. I want to get a couple of these so I can return some cable cards and get back some money, since Comcast charges $7.50 for each card.
shspvr wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:52 am
jmcguire525 wrote:
Well it's rather obvious
jmcguire525 wrote:
Anger customers ? more like anger little children if ask me with no patient what so ever after all Rome wasn't build in day.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 am

mayorville wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 pm
The thing was announced last year and in multiple threads, the response from staff is "end of 2019". How much patience is people supposed to have? While we still have a little over 2 more months, I'm not getting any warm and fuzzies. I want to get a couple of these so I can return some cable cards and get back some money, since Comcast charges $7.50 for each card.
That just it, it not end of 2019 mayorville and don't really see any announced last this year.

mikesalz

Post by mikesalz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 am

shspvr - The Prime 6 was announced 2 years ago, and was originally promised to hit the market in mid 2018. Here is an article to refresh your memory: https://zatznotfunny.com/2018-01/silico ... cablecard/

After TWO years, it's pretty safe to say that nobody in this thread is being impatient.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am

mikesalz wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 am
shspvr - The Prime 6 was announced 2 years ago, and was originally promised to hit the market in mid 2018. Here is an article to refresh your memory: https://zatznotfunny.com/2018-01/silico ... cablecard/

After TWO years, it's pretty safe to say that nobody in this thread is being impatient.
So it wasn't here on this forum nor on SD own web site they only made only announced not official product release as it in time to buy right now.
Your not only one out there that is waiting, as all we can do it keep our fingers cross and hope they can get everything ready by year before Dec 31, 2019 but I'm sure many are hoping before the christmas holiday start which means they got be ready for shipping by no later then Dec 16, 2019 maybe even sooner who know only time will tell.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm

shspvr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am
So it wasn't here on this forum nor on SD own web site they only made only announced not official product release as it in time to buy right now.
Your not only one out there that is waiting, as all we can do it keep our fingers cross and hope they can get everything ready by year before Dec 31, 2019 but I'm sure many are hoping before the christmas holiday start which means they got be ready for shipping by no later then Dec 16, 2019 maybe even sooner who know only time will tell.
Are you not reading along? The PRIME 6 is not happening in 2019.

NedS said "I don't blame anyone for not holding their breath about the 2019 internal deadline, but that's still the only information I have and am allowed to say about the PRIME 6's progress."

This is the biggest problem I have with SD. They're not truthful enough with their customers. They know they're not going to deliver, but they won't come out and say it because they want to string everybody along, as long as they can, because as long as they don't say it's delayed again, nobody can call them on it until 1/1/2020.

So no PRIME 6 and no recording of protected channels either until 2020 at the earliest and I'm not holding my breath on that. It will be 5 years since the Kickstarter and they haven't delivered the key deliverable. Why should anyone think if it hasn't happened in 5 YEARS that it's actually going to happen?

I'm surprised people cut them as much slack as they do around here, to be honest.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 pm

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm
Are you not reading along? The PRIME 6 is not happening in 2019.

NedS said "I don't blame anyone for not holding their breath about the 2019 internal deadline, but that's still the only information I have and am allowed to say about the PRIME 6's progress."

This is the biggest problem I have with SD. They're not truthful enough with their customers. They know they're not going to deliver, but they won't come out and say it because they want to string everybody along, as long as they can, because as long as they don't say it's delayed again, nobody can call them on it until 1/1/2020.

So no PRIME 6 and no recording of protected channels either until 2020 at the earliest and I'm not holding my breath on that. It will be 5 years since the Kickstarter and they haven't delivered the key deliverable. Why should anyone think if it hasn't happened in 5 YEARS that it's actually going to happen?

I'm surprised people cut them as much slack as they do around here, to be honest.
There only hope we got if they can't deliver there still not a darn thing you or any body else do about it so all your whine is not going change the outcome one bit, just keep your fingers cross and let hope they can a miracle before then 2020 end story, As a lot can happen in next few months or not at all.
Keep in mind many Cable TV providers are all ready lose out to OTA Cordcutter and TV Streamer services everyday it only matter of time and you just kiss you Cable Card Tuner good bye
Last edited by shspvr on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

heyted

Post by heyted » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:56 am

According to Cord Cutters News on Oct 24th: "Today Comcast announced their 3rd quarter 2019 earnings report that showed they lost 224,000 TV subscribers. During the earnings call, Comcast executives were very quick to dismiss these numbers as a senior Comcast executive said if TV customers are not profitable, they plan to push them over to the internet only."

In related news, Ned commented yesterday on a Reddit post titled ____ or ____ as a DVR to Replace Comcast Equipment: "...it's certainly not out of the question to be shipping [PRIME 6] units before December 31st, 2019, technically meeting that 2019 deadline."

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Really would like to have the Prime 6 as i could use double the tuners on my current prime with one cable card, as i often run into all tuners in use, or software messes up and locks tuners.
I wasn't aware of this "new" model until a few months ago....but yea, 2yrs and nothing yet i read.....booo.. Dont like how it does not seem to have LEDs to indicate tuner status.

Many are saying that major cable companies are loosing customers to streaming services....this is true. so much so, they them selves now offer a streaming only service, IF and ONLY , for their Internet customers it seems though. I have Xfinity/Comcast for CATV only. I have tried their Bundles before, scam, the price they quote is not true, each time we tried, the bill was 3x what they said. Also, even on promotion, after time up, its too expensive. I refuse to get internet from them, as i can get 1gig Fiber for cheaper and it is both up and down 1gig...Comcrap offer about 1gig down, but, only 10meg up!!! that is crazy stupid.

Recently, after calling into Comcast to bug them to get on a promo (do that every year), I actually got a very nice and knowledgeable rep.
She said that cable cards are no longer being given out in many areas, including my own. They have been phasing them out for the last year.
Current users can still use them, but support for them in the future is not guaranteed.
And the rep did know what a HDHomeRun was and was familiar with such devices.
So, unless my current cable card starts acting up, it the only one I can have, so cant get a new one....

I have been trying out streaming services...YouTube TV i like the best.....but, i called it years ago...the cost of those services, are slowing getting hiked up, same as cable has been over the years. Now, with the "cord cutter" as competition, CATV companies have to be more aggressive with prices.
Streaming services are very locked down and limited in what u can do with them, with no control over how long DVR or VOD acces will remain for a show. Same as CATV cable box like the X1)
With a Plex or Emby or HDHR DVR setup...and a Cable Card tuner, it is SO much more practical and powerful with the ability to have normal mp4 files of any show or channel, no DRM or other restrictions. The shows I care about, i just set DVR and watch the files later on my PC, to skip commercials and parts i don't care about...saves me so much time. Or watch things at a increased speed. Also, to save shows to my own local file collections. Seeking is much faster on PC with MPC than on any DVR box.

I don't feel giving that up...just to save around $30 or so a month, and having to subscribe to multiple streaming services to get the same about of network acces, seems to make it cost more to cut the cord......and have far less functionality.

Whenever the Prime 6 comes out...doubt it will be easy to get anyway....will probably sell out so fast, then have to wait god knows how long until they stock more....

replayreb

Post by replayreb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Uh oh. They removed the "Coming 2019" graphic from the product page and this popped up...

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

PRIME 6
To our customers and anxious fans of the HDHomeRun PRIME model and the upcoming 6 tuner version HDHomeRun PRIME6

When we launched the original PRIME 3-tuner model, there were years of development, testing, tweaking and certifications. No one knew of this because it was just released, and the units are still working today ("HDHomeRun devices just work").

We are still very excited as we plan and develop the updated generation, adding full CableCARD support of 6 simultaneous programs. We had been premature on a few occasions in announcing this product creating expectations from our fans (and the occasional dramatic naysayers).

There have been chipsets that were sold off and killed in the middle of our dev (twice). And delays due to normal development that many don't know nor deem relevant beyond "just give me my PRIME!" and we respect and love that passion.

I want to assure all of our customers and fans that we are still deep in development of the upcoming PRIME6 and we will announce only when the time is right and when we are in mass production. There will be no casual updates or dart board dates to appease the masses. A lot goes into developing new hardware, and as I have said before, "if this one was easy, everyone would have one on the market."

All of us at Silicondust want an HDHomeRun PRIME6 in our homes as much as our supporters. Keep watch and sign up for our mailing list, or follow us on social media so that you'll be the first to know when we are ready to release more information.

Sincerely,

Theodore Head
CEO/President