6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Post Reply
Jimmersd
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm

So when will this be available?

rrussis82
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Jimmersd wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
So when will this be available?
Before Jan 1 2020 as they state coming in 2019

Jimmersd
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Jimmersd wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
So when will this be available?
Before Jan 1 2020 as they state coming in 2019
Snerk

Sorahl
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Sorahl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm

it will be here when it is ready to be released...
I will say EVERYTIME one of these announcement emails come out and I see silicondust in the subject my heart does a bit of a flutter

john

Ken.F
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC
Location: West Rockhill, PA

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Ken.F » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Jimmersd wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
So when will this be available?
Before Jan 1 2020 as they state coming in 2019
LOL. DRM recording has been "coming soon" since 2015. On April 10th 2018 nickk was asked when DRM would be released. He said (direct quote):
"It will be released in conjunction with the HDHR5-6CC this year (2018)."

I understand unexpected delays happen. I want the Prime 6 and DRM recording to be released as much as anybody but there's no point in asking them to guess when it will be out. They won't know for sure when it will be ready until it is ready. I have full confidence SD can get it done. Will it be in the next six months? I hope so, but I'm not making any major purchase decisions until DRM recording and playback is working in my home.

Beerman
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Beerman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 am

But is DRM holding up Prime 6 or is Prime 6 holding up DRM? Inquiring minds want to know.

rrussis82
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by rrussis82 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am

Beerman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 am
But is DRM holding up Prime 6 or is Prime 6 holding up DRM? Inquiring minds want to know.
I would assume because they both have to pass cablelabs certification and that they are not dependent on each other, but it would be cheaper and better to have them both tested at the same time. hence why one will be released when the other is.

simas
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by simas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 am

DRM recording of cable content is the key. silence is discouraging.

shspvr
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by shspvr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Beerman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 am
But is DRM holding up Prime 6 or is Prime 6 holding up DRM? Inquiring minds want to know.
:lol: that good one.

mcewinter
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3
Location: Chicago

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am

Ken.F wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 am
rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Jimmersd wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
So when will this be available?
Before Jan 1 2020 as they state coming in 2019
LOL. DRM recording has been "coming soon" since 2015. On April 10th 2018 nickk was asked when DRM would be released. He said (direct quote):
"It will be released in conjunction with the HDHR5-6CC this year (2018)."

I understand unexpected delays happen. I want the Prime 6 and DRM recording to be released as much as anybody but there's no point in asking them to guess when it will be out. They won't know for sure when it will be ready until it is ready. I have full confidence SD can get it done. Will it be in the next six months? I hope so, but I'm not making any major purchase decisions until DRM recording and playback is working in my home.
The question that really needs answering is if they are actively/currently working on DRM/Prime 6.

jeffddntdt
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 am

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by jeffddntdt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:16 am

The last that was heard is that they were waiting for certification. They would send it off and then they would have an issue with the software. And that software change would require another change in the software. When the cycle ends who knows.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am
The question that really needs answering is if they are actively/currently working on DRM/Prime 6.
The answer is yes, to both.

mcewinter
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3
Location: Chicago

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am
The question that really needs answering is if they are actively/currently working on DRM/Prime 6.
The answer is yes, to both.
Is it priority #1? I'm not sure how else to ask in such a way that your answer doesn't sound diplomatic. It's likely I would have received the same answer had I asked the same question over the last few years.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by NedS » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 am

mcewinter wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm
NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am
The question that really needs answering is if they are actively/currently working on DRM/Prime 6.
The answer is yes, to both.
Is it priority #1? I'm not sure how else to ask in such a way that your answer doesn't sound diplomatic. It's likely I would have received the same answer had I asked the same question over the last few years.
It's whatever needs to be done to get a release by the end of 2019. If that means dangling developers over tanks with sharks in them to motivate them, or more likely, something reasonable, then so be it.

Plus, rumor has it that our CEO is getting a new cable provider that has most of the channels DRM restricted, so what better motivation than having the head of the company wait with us, really wanting DRM-recording support ;)

(I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Of course, the CEO and everyone else has been dedicated to getting DRM working and the PRIME 6 released, regardless of if it affects them personally or not.)

mcewinter
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3
Location: Chicago

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:14 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 am
mcewinter wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm
NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm


The answer is yes, to both.
Is it priority #1? I'm not sure how else to ask in such a way that your answer doesn't sound diplomatic. It's likely I would have received the same answer had I asked the same question over the last few years.
It's whatever needs to be done to get a release by the end of 2019. If that means dangling developers over tanks with sharks in them to motivate them, or more likely, something reasonable, then so be it.

Plus, rumor has it that our CEO is getting a new cable provider that has most of the channels DRM restricted, so what better motivation than having the head of the company wait with us, really wanting DRM-recording support ;)

(I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Of course, the CEO and everyone else has been dedicated to getting DRM working and the PRIME 6 released, regardless of if it affects them personally or not.)
Great answer!! thank you!!!

Post Reply