6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
go45cvi

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Postby go45cvi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:49 pm

With Microsoft killing off wmc and ceton out of the picture there was no reason to develop a six tuner unit. Just keep selling the threes until cablecards eol. Better to spend the resources trying to develop a dvr application and now a streaming service.
They can't buy the parts to keep making the 3-tuner so they have to make a new model. Might as well make it 6 tuners.
Yeah, Id say it was a reactive move when they realized (back in 2017) the three would have to be discontinued soon. I don't think it was or is a high priority given the fact they don't have stock of either now. Provided the supply chain is in place, I don't get why a six tuner should be any more difficult to get to market, ceton did it five years ago . Although I get tired of waiting, I understand the business decision. They stand to make far more money from premium than the shrinking cc user base.

tsimitpo

Postby tsimitpo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:45 pm

With Microsoft killing off wmc and ceton out of the picture there was no reason to develop a six tuner unit. Just keep selling the threes until cablecards eol. Better to spend the resources trying to develop a dvr application and now a streaming service.
WMC is/was the best Windows DVR interface, but there are others alive and well. Additionally, SD's streaming service is far from satisfying what most cable customers have become accustomed to in terms of number of channels and picture quality.

Rickt1962

Postby Rickt1962 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:51 am

WMC is/was the best Windows DVR interface, but there are others alive and well. Additionally, SD's streaming service is far from satisfying what most cable customers have become accustomed to in terms of number of channels and picture quality.
WMC is not dead it has life till January 2020 and it will still work after that using EPG123 for channel guide data

AWill456931

Postby AWill456931 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:29 pm

According to the Prime 6 homepage it is not intended for use with HDHomeRun Premium Service......... ;)

Sorry had to do it HDHomeRun, It's April 1st after all ;)

freway01

Postby freway01 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Only 274 days left

Return to “Future Product Discussion”