6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
pilot03

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by pilot03 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm

This makes me sad. I, like many of you started this whole endeavor wayyyyy back in WMC in 2006 or so, and 12 years later there still has not been a solution that compares to what MS offered way back then. I've had several cable card/software fill ins of some sort for the better part of 10 years, always kept a WMC box in the background btw because it just worked. But even then, there was a 6 tuner solution with one cablecard that worked, I had one. Yes it was buggy, and it required consistent maintenance, but it worked. I started with ceton products and migrated to a HD Homerun prime about 4 or 5 years ago but it required me to purchase two boxes and have 2 cablecards all of which cost me more upfront and more ongoing because of additional monthly cable box fees. Any notion that the community of cable card users are now being impatient, completely misses the fact that the community has been stuck in this overall development cycle for so long that the window for the success and/or practicality of such a device is rapidly disappearing due to streaming and other cable company hardware/software development. Most of the things I discuss above ARE NOT SILICONDUST'S FAULT and are completely out of SD control, I fully understand that. However, announcing that a product will be delivered mid-summer this year and it being mid Oct with no info to follow is disappointing to a community that has been waiting for at least 5 years for such a product. People are not impatient at this point, we are tired. Tired of hoping that the wait will finally be over only to be disappointed yet again. To even get a year of release and have it stick at this point would be an improvement.

Please excuse my rant as it is not meant to offend, I'm just get frustrated with people who claim that others are whining and complaining when this has been a very long wait.

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:15 am

Really hoping the new 6-tuner prime is available soon (at least by Black Friday). I own (2) HDHomerun prime 3-tuners currently, but only using (1) of them due to Comcast wanting to charge me an additional $9.95/month for an extra cable card. Total money grab, so I returned the additional cable card. The fall has all the good shows returning, so I'm "tuner starved" at the moment which leads to a not so happy wife. :)

The discussion of 100M vs 1G nic on the new tuner is confusing. The current 3-tuner price in Gig-E (1G), so I would imagine the new 6-tuner would be the same speed at 1G and not a downgrade to 100M. I'm 100% positive my current 3-tuner HDHomerun prime devices are connected to my home network at 1G.

- Mark

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm

MarkHofmann wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:15 am
Really hoping the new 6-tuner prime is available soon (at least by Black Friday). I own (2) HDHomerun prime 3-tuners currently, but only using (1) of them due to Comcast wanting to charge me an additional $9.95/month for an extra cable card. Total money grab, so I returned the additional cable card. The fall has all the good shows returning, so I'm "tuner starved" at the moment which leads to a not so happy wife. :)

The discussion of 100M vs 1G nic on the new tuner is confusing. The current 3-tuner price in Gig-E (1G), so I would imagine the new 6-tuner would be the same speed at 1G and not a downgrade to 100M. I'm 100% positive my current 3-tuner HDHomerun prime devices are connected to my home network at 1G.

- Mark
Comcast in my area has the 1st cablecard for free and then only $1.50 for the 2nd. I get a customer owned equipment credit of $2.50 for each cablecard so I pay out a total of $1.50 for both cards but get $5.00 in credit at the end of the month. (Assuming you do not keep any of their boxers on your account)

The important pierce seems to be how you answer their question about your setup and DVR..... I told them I only have 1 DVR (HDHOMERUN Record instance only runs once on my PC) so the 2nd cable card is only $1.50. If you tell them you have 2 tuners/DVR then they will want to charge you the $9.95 for the 2nd card.

This puts you on Comcast's plan for "****" which also gives you free HD service. I understand that all non-**** plans charge separately for HD service. I am not sure if it is like this for all Comcast areas but it is for mine here in Atlanta.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm

elabra wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm
MarkHofmann wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:15 am

- Mark
Comcast in my area has the 1st cablecard for free and then only $1.50 for the 2nd. I get a customer owned equipment credit of $2.50 for each cablecard so I pay out a total of $1.50 for both cards but get $5.00 in credit at the end of the month. (Assuming you do not keep any of their boxers on your account)

The important pierce seems to be how you answer their question about your setup and DVR..... I told them I only have 1 DVR (HDHOMERUN Record instance only runs once on my PC) so the 2nd cable card is only $1.50. If you tell them you have 2 tuners/DVR then they will want to charge you the $9.95 for the 2nd card.

This puts you on Comcast's plan for "****" which also gives you free HD service. I understand that all non-**** plans charge separately for HD service. I am not sure if it is like this for all Comcast areas but it is for mine here in Atlanta.
I can confirm that is the same in Seattle.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:59 am

elabra wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm
This puts you on Comcast's plan for "****" which also gives you free HD service.
While there are a few areas which actually have an HD Programming Fee (which is about subscribed channels), most of Comcast has a HD Technology Fee (similar sounding, but different) which all it does is enable the HDMI port on the STB. You can still get HD via component out (although not digital HD). ****'s have never (TTBOMK) used the CableCARD enablement to disable the HDMI if you do not pay the HD Technology Fee (so some people think you are getting "free" HD, when this is all about enabling the HDMI display port). The SiliconDust Prime passes along the channels you are subscribed to, and the display device (your PC, TV, dongle, app, whatever) would also allow you to use HDMI (HD tech).

btw, most of the newer Comcast bundles in most locations now include the HD Technology Fee as part of the packages, so it has become something of a no-op when choosing your rendering options. I suspect as much as anything else that was a reflection that most their new X1 (branded) boxes are HDMI out (and no longer include component ports), and they really really want to get X1 boxes in front of everyone (to prepare for their transitions) and stop handing out older devices (although those who want component or rf ntsc or firewire can still get those if they insist).

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF, 1326963D

Post by uconnctfan33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 am

pilot03 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm
This makes me sad. I, like many of you started this whole endeavor wayyyyy back in WMC in 2006 or so, and 12 years later there still has not been a solution that compares to what MS offered way back then. I've had several cable card/software fill ins of some sort for the better part of 10 years, always kept a WMC box in the background btw because it just worked. But even then, there was a 6 tuner solution with one cablecard that worked, I had one. Yes it was buggy, and it required consistent maintenance, but it worked. I started with ceton products and migrated to a HD Homerun prime about 4 or 5 years ago but it required me to purchase two boxes and have 2 cablecards all of which cost me more upfront and more ongoing because of additional monthly cable box fees. Any notion that the community of cable card users are now being impatient, completely misses the fact that the community has been stuck in this overall development cycle for so long that the window for the success and/or practicality of such a device is rapidly disappearing due to streaming and other cable company hardware/software development. Most of the things I discuss above ARE NOT SILICONDUST'S FAULT and are completely out of SD control, I fully understand that. However, announcing that a product will be delivered mid-summer this year and it being mid Oct with no info to follow is disappointing to a community that has been waiting for at least 5 years for such a product. People are not impatient at this point, we are tired. Tired of hoping that the wait will finally be over only to be disappointed yet again. To even get a year of release and have it stick at this point would be an improvement.

Please excuse my rant as it is not meant to offend, I'm just get frustrated with people who claim that others are whining and complaining when this has been a very long wait.
I completely agree with you. I wish there was more communication about the Prime6. I myself am frustrated just like you. Last time I asked NateB, a little over a week ago, it wasn't even in production yet. So my opinion is the Mid 2018 release date that was mentioned at CES is looking like a Mid 2019 release date.

I am also having issues with just have 3 tuners, I've tried to use a quatro and my location didn't allow me to receive any OTA channels. If I add another 3 tuner prime it'll cost $9.95 for another cable card a month, which is out of the question.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 am

A retail price was released back in July of $199. The addition of merchandising web page and a finished retail box is nice. SD post suggests they are waiting on production still. But the web page release is suggesting the parts issue may be resolved and now waiting on production run time?

zachh1020

Post by zachh1020 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 pm

My **** flatlined in July and I have been waiting around for this to be available, because I really do not want to buy another ****. But being almost Nov and no official word or potentional release date other than "mid 2018", which is long past, it's looking more and more like **** will, unfortunately get a repeat customer.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:13 am

zachh1020 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 pm
It's looking more and more like **** will, unfortunately get a repeat customer.
I am not going to suggest buying a new T device, but if you make that choice, I seem to recall others saying that if you contact them, they will sometimes be willing to offer a slight discount in order to keep you as a customer (just like other companies (*cough* SD *cough*) will reportedly sometimes do so for some of their devices that fail outside of warrantee). It never hurts to ask.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 am

zachh1020 wrote:
My **** flatlined in July and I have been waiting around for this to be available, because I really do not want to buy another ****. But being almost Nov and no official word or potentional release date other than "mid 2018", which is long past, it's looking more and more like **** will, unfortunately get a repeat customer.
When you say "flatlined" what do you mean? If it's just the hard drive those are easy to replace.

You might want to check over at the **** Community Forum and ask about it over.
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... -forums.29

zachh1020

Post by zachh1020 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Keenan wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 am
zachh1020 wrote:
When you say "flatlined" what do you mean? If it's just the hard drive those are easy to replace.

You might want to check over at the **** Community Forum and ask about it over.
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... -forums.29
The HDMI failed on it.

AWill456931

Post by AWill456931 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:46 am

Jumping in on this overall discussion.

We are looking seriously at jumping on the Prime 6, if it happens "soon" I know this product has been promised for a long long time, this whole soon thing, are we thinking 2018 or is it a longer horizon?

We are looking at signing a Verizon FIOS contract and I want this to work if we do, but since we at the moment can't even get the old 3 tuner model the whole thing is up in the air.

Side question, anyone in the DC metro area that have been using FIOS and the HDHomerun Prime? Any experiences good or bad?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:07 am

AWill456931 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:46 am
Jumping in on this overall discussion.

We are looking seriously at jumping on the Prime 6, if it happens "soon" I know this product has been promised for a long long time, this whole soon thing, are we thinking 2018 or is it a longer horizon?

We are looking at signing a Verizon FIOS contract and I want this to work if we do, but since we at the moment can't even get the old 3 tuner model the whole thing is up in the air.

Side question, anyone in the DC metro area that have been using FIOS and the HDHomerun Prime? Any experiences good or bad?
Have you looked at Premium TV being offered by Silicondust ?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:17 am

I'm reasonably sure when the Prime 6 comes out, there will be a limited supply of them to go around and my guess is they may even do a pre-order but that is simply a guess.
Either way, all we are hearing now are crickets!

AWill456931

Post by AWill456931 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:07 am
Have you looked at Premium TV being offered by Silicondust ?
Yes I have, alas in our current location we do not get a strong enough OTA signal for the premium add-on would be a solid solution, otherwise it is a great solution.

At the moment we have a basic internet connection and are using PS Vue, which is ok, but the reduced internet rate is about to expire at which point it will be better hit the cord for 2 years until we hopefully buy a house :) and can get decent OTA signals again.