FM radio

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
sdust

FM radio

Post by sdust »

Is there a way analog FM radio reception be added to the product? Preferably with RDS info.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: FM radio

Post by kyl416 »

In order to support FM they would need a chip capable of demodulating analog signals, and something to transcode the analog FM audio to a digital audio codec before it can be sent over your network in a MPEG transport stream.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

First thought - don't most FM stations already stream online?

sdust

Post by sdust »

People listen to radios in their cars. Not too many options for a decent home FM tuner. Could be a great selling point for a development edition.

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

I keep an older PC alive solely to hold a Hauppage PCI tuner card so I can record a couple shows from FM. I understand why SD wouldn't offer an FM tuner. An API into the SD DVR for audio only recording would sure be nice, I'll bring the tuner.

jasondeanny
Device ID: 132570C3, 10800737

Post by jasondeanny »

nickk wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm First thought - don't most FM stations already stream online?
They stream “TV” too but that doesn’t stop you from a great broadcasting product.

I’d vote not only for analog FM but HD Radio as well.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

jasondeanny wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:24 pm
nickk wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm First thought - don't most FM stations already stream online?
They stream “TV” too but that doesn’t stop you from a great broadcasting product.

I’d vote not only for analog FM but HD Radio as well.
As previously stated in another topic, HD Radio is a proprietary "standard". It is owned and licensed by DTS. While there exist reverse engineered implementations (mostly for use with RTL-SDR/GNU Radio), I am not sure if such an implementation would work in a commercial product.

And since SD has expressed no interest in producing a product with an FM demodulator, I highly doubt HD Radio would make the cut list, either.

sdust

Post by sdust »

Maybe SD could state if not having FM is a software or a hardware problem. The accuracy of speculations I usually hear on this board is close to 0% ;)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

sdust wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 pm Maybe SD could state if not having FM is a software or a hardware problem. The accuracy of speculations I usually hear on this board is close to 0% ;)
The hardware needed to support FM radio (or HD radio) is not related to the hardware that supports digital TV. Not even the analog tuner section is related.

Is the goal simply to listen to the radio? I think most FM stations are available to listen to online via a web browser for free.

sdust

Post by sdust »

nickk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:51 pm
sdust wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 pm Maybe SD could state if not having FM is a software or a hardware problem. The accuracy of speculations I usually hear on this board is close to 0% ;)
The hardware needed to support FM radio (or HD radio) is not related to the hardware that supports digital TV. Not even the analog tuner section is related.
If the radio allows extracting raw data(not sure why it wouldn't) it can be decoded in software. The bandwidth of an FM station is only 0.2MHz so it can be decoded for a few percent of CPU time on a modern hardware. You could also ask your hardware supplier to add FM to the tuner. Maybe putting a kickstarter project to gauge the support for it wouldn't be such a bad idea?
Is the goal simply to listen to the radio? I think most FM stations are available to listen to online via a web browser for free.
That's not very consumer friendly ;)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

sdust wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am If the radio allows extracting raw data(not sure why it wouldn't) it can be decoded in software.
It does not.

The raw sample data for demodulating TV is in the Gbps range which is why TV tuners don't output raw sample data.

I think I am still missing the use case... are you looking to do something with radio other than listen live?

sdust

Post by sdust »

nickk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 pm
sdust wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am If the radio allows extracting raw data(not sure why it wouldn't) it can be decoded in software.
It does not.

The raw sample data for demodulating TV is in the Gbps range which is why TV tuners don't output raw sample data.

I think I am still missing the use case... are you looking to do something with radio other than listen live?
That'd be a good start.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I'm with nickk here, I'm not sure how there could be any expectation for a device that is exclusively designed/advertised to demodulate Digital TV signals can be expected to demodulate FM Radio signals. While the tuner component of the HDHomeRun device may very well be able to access the required frequency range for this, demodulation of Analog FM Radio, Hybrid Digital (HD) Radio, or Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) data into something that a client application could natively consume is so vastly different this just doesn't make any sense to me.

FWIW, I also see no valid use case for your inquiry; HDHomeRun deals with TV signal demodulation and consumption. Radio signal demodulation/consumption is an entirely different beast; HDHomeRun devices have never been advertised as something that could, even in theory, provide something like raw I/Q samples that a client could demodulate on it's own in software. Having a device that can "see" a frequency range is significantly different than a device that can actually "use" that frequency range for something.

I personally suggest you look into an "RTL-SDR" based solution that also supports TV via HDHomeRun to add FM Radio to your repartee; to my knowledge no perfect solution exists but Kodi may get you close :)

sdust

Post by sdust »

4 VHF tuners, unable to listen to FM radio ;)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

sdust wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:46 am 4 VHF tuners, unable to listen to FM radio ;)
And your TV has a VHF tuner ;)

As noted above, the hardware needed to support FM radio (or HD radio) is not related to the hardware that supports digital TV.