Recording DRM

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Recording DRM

Post by NedS »

TOMMYRAY71 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 am It's been what, 3 years since DRM recoding is coming out- so it's dead, right?
No, that is entirely incorrect. The feature is still being worked on.

nighthawk2k1

Post by nighthawk2k1 »

Yeah. I'm thinking it's been more than five years since this feature was announced, and I can't help but feel that SD is going to pull a Ceton on everyone at some point. If SD was serious about this they would have had a full working replacement for Media Center in the pipeline around 2018. Keeping the company alive by stringing along customers with promises of a full DVR implementation with DRM capability is not cool. If the DRM costs are too much and there's not enough market interest to compensate just abandon ship and come clean to everyone. Don't keep people hanging on with new conditions and benchmarks that never produce. Bottom line is that no one has produced a robust, secure, and versatile solution for HTPCs since WMC was euthanized. And I certainly will never download a modded old version of WMC from an untrusted site just to run it on Win 10. It's also BS that Microsoft contended that people only used WMC to play DVDs. I never knew anyone who even went near WMC unless they had building an HTPC in mind.

infobits

Post by infobits »

nighthawk2k1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:57 am Yeah. I'm thinking it's been more than five years since this feature was announced, and I can't help but feel that SD is going to pull a Ceton on everyone at some point. If SD was serious about this they would have had a full working replacement for Media Center in the pipeline around 2018. Keeping the company alive by stringing along customers with promises of a full DVR implementation with DRM capability is not cool. If the DRM costs are too much and there's not enough market interest to compensate just abandon ship and come clean to everyone. Don't keep people hanging on with new conditions and benchmarks that never produce. Bottom line is that no one has produced a robust, secure, and versatile solution for HTPCs since WMC was euthanized. And I certainly will never download a modded old version of WMC from an untrusted site just to run it on Win 10. It's also BS that Microsoft contended that people only used WMC to play DVDs. I never knew anyone who even went near WMC unless they had building an HTPC in mind.
You know what, my sentiments exactly. Like a sucker, I had recently paid $35 for the DVR service and found out it does not allow recording of the DRM protected channels. What a disappointment. It does no better than my Plex Media Server DVR which does all the same things basically as this useless $35 HDHomeRun DVR service does. So disappointed. I thought it would be better. Can't cancel and get your money refunded either. So my $35 loss. Definitely not renewing this subscription service unless they come clean and allow the DRM recording capability touted so long ago!

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Even if CableLabs approves DRM support on more platforms and apps, you still won't be able to use it with software like Plex or Kodi because Open Source software won't pass CableLabs certification.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

kyl416 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:04 pm Even if CableLabs approves DRM support on more platforms and apps, you still won't be able to use it with software like Plex or Kodi because Open Source software won't pass CableLabs certification.
I would be fine if they made the capabilities to only their Scribe and Servio units. at least it is something

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

infobits wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 pm You know what, my sentiments exactly. Like a sucker, I had recently paid $35 for the DVR service and found out it does not allow recording of the DRM protected channels. What a disappointment. It does no better than my Plex Media Server DVR which does all the same things basically as this useless $35 HDHomeRun DVR service does. So disappointed. I thought it would be better. Can't cancel and get your money refunded either. So my $35 loss. Definitely not renewing this subscription service unless they come clean and allow the DRM recording capability touted so long ago!
SD will refund your DVR subscription within 30 days of purchase. If you haven't waited too long, email support from the address you purchased from and ask for a refund.

Cuvis

Post by Cuvis »

My local Cox franchise just DRM locked every channel I have except for OTAs, so unless this feature comes out very soon, looks like my HDHomeRun journey is coming to an end. Thanks for the ride.

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Why don't you just use Verimatrix Multi-DRM to allow you to decrypt the CableCARD output and then re-encrypt using their key servers so you stay within the DRM rules? They even support 4K content. You may have to charge everyone to be able to afford it, but perhaps you can get a per user license with a one-time fee.

tecman4

Post by tecman4 »

I hate to keep asking but, I was wondering if this is getting close to being released?
I am unable to use this as a DVR without DRM as most channels have DRM.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

If my cable company starts using DRM, then I'll also have to abandon ship. They do use DRM on HBO and the like, but I can get that by using an HBO app (though it really sucks I can't record things for later viewing). I'm just not sure where I'd go, since I use Kodi now for all our TV and movie viewing.

tecman4

Post by tecman4 »

Any update on DRM?
Is this ever going to happen?