Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
yourpalfranc

Re: Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

Post by yourpalfranc »

I used this product which I found on Amazon. It didn't work as perfectly as I'd hoped. I was attempting to mount my new Quatro 4K AND my old Quatro which I intend to utilize for its additional tuners. The two Quatros fit nicely on this product, but I didn't find a way to use the included velcro straps as they were intended. I did, however, use common zip ties to mount the two Quatros and they're now held quite securely on the wall of my electronics closet. You might search around Amazon for something that might work better for you. I hope this is helpful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JV ... UTF8&psc=1

CBme

Re: Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

Post by CBme »

Bud Melman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:10 pm I would love to get one of these today. I already set up my ClearStream 4MAX antenna in attic, so I'm dying to see how it works. I know not many markets are using ATSC 3.0 yet, but I think by the end of 2021, there will be quite a few.
That said, I have two questions before I pull the trigger.
1. Does SiliconDust ever have a sale on these things? I would hate to buy it today, only to have it be on sale next week.
2. Is the HDHR5-4K somewhat future proof? Again, I would hate to buy it today, only to have a new model come out next month.
Anyone know?
I'm not in a real hurry to purchase the HDHR5-4K as I still have my Cable TV, ATSC 3.0 is not up and running yet in my area, and I don't plan on cutting the cord yet, although I would like to do it soon.
Thanks
1. It just started shipping a few months ago off the kickstarter campaign. If there is ever a sale it isn't going to be now and it isn't likely to be anything that would be worth waiting for as it isn't a
2. Again, just came out and is the first of any ATSC 3.0 consumer products besides a few TV. There is not such a thing as "future proof" technology in all aspects but this has two ATSC 3.0 tuners based on the locked broadcast standard so they should continue to do what they were designed to do for as long as ATSC 3.0 is broadcast. Any future product will likely just have 4 3.0 tuners.

As others have noted, read the ATSC 3.0 forum and you can decided for yourself. However given the quetions, I would say if you were going to buy a Quattro, then buying a 4k would be fine. If you are only looking at buying this for the ATSC 3.0 (that your market doesn't even have), then no, you don't have it, there may be may 3.0 tuner options by the time your market does have it.

The only reason to buy one of these to use the 3.0 tuner currently is because you want to be a beta tester and are ok with all the possible problems that entails. This product is the first consumer 3.0 tuner and these broadcasts are their first attempt at the new technology. The stations and SiliconDust are still figuring out, making notable changes rapidly, and it will likely be many months until everything is fully 'stabilized'. Even when that happens there is the huge issue that anything relying on FFMpeg (Plex, Emby, VLC, etc) and many (most?) existing hardware devices don't support AC-4 audio (and many devices may never be enabled). There are currently no real difference between the 1.0 and 3.0 broadcasts image quality and there are no markets broadcasting anything in 4k and there are no eta's from any stations in any markets as to whether it might be months or years before there are.