Recording DRM

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jec6613

Re: Recording DRM

Post by jec6613 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pm

I've been a HDHomeRun user for quite some time now, using the dual tuner model and Prime almost since inception, and over the last 6-12 months the DRM recording issue is becoming critical.

Currently, I run MCE 8.1 to record shows, and DVR is only working on one set now after the XBox 360 extenders got broken in an RDP security update (my MCE is domain joined). The hardware is effectively state of the art and way overkill for what it does, but here's the gotcha: 8.1 has been in extended support for 2 years now, and every single patch cycle more things get broken. And, over the last year or so, many of those patches have been critical to install for security fixes - from nVidia security patches to 8.1 patches, and the fact of the matter is MCE just isn't tested against the patches anymore, so recording breaks every 2-4 months and I have to dig and fix it. And that's not including the guide data debacle last month.

Yes, I have the skills to sort out what's broken for now, but for how much longer will that be the case? How many other users have already jumped ship from Silicondust products? The app isn't great, but it's at least in a usable position now (even if I'm not happy about being internet-bound), but where is that DRM DVR feature?

I get it, you can't tell me much if anything about timelines and Cable Labs is a pain to deal with, but I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus here saying that this is the feature that I need to keep me from jumping ship (which I don't want to do, it's a pretty big pain), and as soon as it's available if it's in time I will almost immediately purchase a Servio and 6-channel tuner (once that's available, anyway) to take advantage of it. Because as it stands, within the next 6-12 months MCE will finally be unsustainable and if DRM recording isn't working on SD by then, I'm left to jump to **** or similar.