Post by shspvr » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 am
mcewinter wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm
NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm

The answer is yes, to both.
Is it priority #1? I'm not sure how else to ask in such a way that your answer doesn't sound diplomatic. It's likely I would have received the same answer had I asked the same question over the last few years.
It's whatever needs to be done to get a release by the end of 2019. If that means dangling developers over tanks with sharks in them to motivate them, or more likely, something reasonable, then so be it.

Plus, rumor has it that our CEO is getting a new cable provider that has most of the channels DRM restricted, so what better motivation than having the head of the company wait with us, really wanting DRM-recording support ;)

(I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Of course, the CEO and everyone else has been dedicated to getting DRM working and the PRIME 6 released, regardless of if it affects them personally or not.)
LoL what ever happen to Sweet, Pizza and Energy Drinks

Lone Browncoat

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by Lone Browncoat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm strictly OTA and know how get around DRM.
Geek since 1980.
Not so concerned about the number of tuners* but the hassles of having to re-map the channels when they do shift from their current positions because the repack of available high VHF and UHF carrier frequencies is already happening.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mb ... ,last#last

Then getting co-ordinated with Schedules Direct, http://schedulesdirect.org/ and whatever PVR software you're using, my choice is the Cliff Watson EPG Project http://schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

Joined up here in the hunt for ATSC 3.0 hardware that may be coming out, in the future, as other related sites.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php etc.etc.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home- ... st55822868

[off-topic comment removed by moderator] The Pay-TV stuff as well, my main concern is the live news, as the PVR computer and the HTPC
are set and any disruption to the stations and I won't get my wake-up, dinner-time, or late evening news.

I have two modest HDHR4s two-tuner models, currently one MDP-130 tuner and use KMPlayer or Pot Player on the other machines, you have a strange UCP here, no place for avatars or their slogans, couldn't put more than one character in the sig file box. I suppose I'll get used to it.

mcewinter wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:14 am
NedS wrote:
mcewinter wrote:

Is it priority #1? I'm not sure how else to ask in such a way that your answer doesn't sound diplomatic. It's likely I would have received the same answer had I asked the same question over the last few years.
It's whatever needs to be done to get a release by the end of 2019. If that means dangling developers over tanks with sharks in them to motivate them, or more likely, something reasonable, then so be it.

Plus, rumor has it that our CEO is getting a new cable provider that has most of the channels DRM restricted, so what better motivation than having the head of the company wait with us, really wanting DRM-recording support ;)

(I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Of course, the CEO and everyone else has been dedicated to getting DRM working and the PRIME 6 released, regardless of if it affects them personally or not.).0
Great answer!! thank you!!!

replayreb

Post by replayreb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 am

The website changed yesterday...
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

Old
New

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am

I've a question for SD: Will the Prime 6 require one or two tuning adapters?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 am

One for the version being talked about in this thread.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for the info.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am

leerandall wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am
I've a question for SD: Will the Prime 6 require one or two tuning adapters?
If I recall right 6 is the maximum number per-tuning adapters just like with old Ceton InfiniTV 6 devcie

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm

A far as the TA is concerned, most cisco's can do 8 with most firmware used these days, but most cablecards are limited to 6 streams (a 900 series cisco card (PKM908) can do 8 if one were to have an 8 tuner device)

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 am

NedS wrote:
mcewinter wrote:
NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm

The answer is yes, to both.

(I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Of course, the CEO and everyone else has been dedicated to getting DRM working and the PRIME 6 released, regardless of if it affects them personally or not.)
haha Have been banking on Ted's needs since he announced them at CES via Lon. As I remember he has a proto P6. Unfortunately it is not as easy to track certification of the P6 as the original was, and that was not easy. Cablelabs has improved security and removed some links I had found in the past. But I expect that SD will be able to navigate the certification in a timely manner [hopefully already in process just in case it needs adjustments]. Worry mostly about them finding the right chips with a supply stream for 3 years on all and coordinating the manufacturing time with their delivery. Hopefully the success of the Servio models and the obvious desire to do another run will not interfere with projected run time for P6.

kudos to SD team on selling out the production run basically in the pre order. The market has spoken and you guys won. Hope you find all the parts needed for another one that might take you into xmas. The Servio OTA tuners is as much of a plug and play all in one device as it can get IMO and what could be simpler than the 2TB recorder. All good additions to the family of tuners and now an accessory! Good marketing of the DVR with purchase and hope to see a strong subscription capture over time.

tekinabox

Post by tekinabox » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm

It would be awesome this came out before Nov 2019. The updated Nvidia shield is rumored to be released at that time, and my shittastic smart TVs "need" an upgrade.

It would be inconvenient if I "need" to also buy this 6 tuner during the same month.

So, if the sun, planets, moons could align for an September release would be terrific.

My bank account needs some time to recover :D

cbdudek

Post by cbdudek » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 pm

At this point I wonder if this is going to come out at all. Xfinity already released a new streaming app. Its just a matter of time until it is working on all platforms. When that happens, we won't need cable cards anymore, or at least the option to not have to have one will be there. Yes, I realize that they also need to figure out how to bypass the caps on Xfinity, but that is going to come with time as well. I am now questioning if it is even worth it to upgrade my 3 tuner HDHomerun Prime when the streaming app is on the horizon for the Nvidia Shield.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm

cbdudek wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 pm
At this point I wonder if this is going to come out at all. Xfinity already released a new streaming app. Its just a matter of time until it is working on all platforms. When that happens, we won't need cable cards anymore, or at least the option to not have to have one will be there. Yes, I realize that they also need to figure out how to bypass the caps on Xfinity, but that is going to come with time as well. I am now questioning if it is even worth it to upgrade my 3 tuner HDHomerun Prime when the streaming app is on the horizon for the Nvidia Shield.
I've played around with the Roku app, and it's pretty nice, yes, but Comcast/Xfinity has stated that they intend for TV-connected apps (but not mobile apps) to cost money, just like renting a box, when they exist their beta period. So you still have the major problem with the cable companies charging anywhere from $5 to $10 per month per TV. Years ago, long before I worked for Silicondust, that was the driving motivation for me to find the original PRIME (which I've paid for in savings from those box rental fees).

They also had the app working on the Nvidia Shield and were showing it off a few years ago, back when the FCC (under a different chairman) was threatening to require an internet-based option as an alternative to rentals and CableCARD. When the FCC changed direction, Comcast stopped talking about Android TV, even though the work as pretty much done (it was just the mobile app with remote-control support). I still think they'll eventually release it, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it will ever be a priority for Comcast, and it will certainly come with a monthly fee.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:35 pm

NedS wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm
I've played around with the Roku app, and it's pretty nice, yes, but Comcast/Xfinity has stated that they intend for TV-connected apps (but not mobile apps) to cost money, just like renting a box, when they exist their beta period. So you still have the major problem with the cable companies charging anywhere from $5 to $10 per month per TV. Years ago, long before I worked for Silicondust, that was the driving motivation for me to find the original PRIME (which I've paid for in savings from those box rental fees).
They wanted to only have single tuner cablecards and fees on each one. So that is really old news and probably a fight they lost when switched digital video was being sought by TWC and Charter.
They also had the app working on the Nvidia Shield and were showing it off a few years ago, back when the FCC (under a different chairman) was threatening to require an internet-based option as an alternative to rentals and CableCARD. When the FCC changed direction, Comcast stopped talking about Android TV, even though the work as pretty much done (it was just the mobile app with remote-control support). I still think they'll eventually release it, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it will ever be a priority for Comcast, and it will certainly come with a monthly fee.
It was more than just a program. It was a stb that would convert all sources [satellite, cable, and future 4K broadcast both encrypted and drm content on all platforms]. That Dream died January 20th 2017. I used the comcast app on my shield right up until they made it phone or tablet only.

cbdudek

Post by cbdudek » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 am

NedS wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm

Where do you see that they intend to charge a monthly fee? All the literature that I see talks about Xfinity giving it out for free so long as you have a TV subscription package.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Mobile-Ap ... -p/2940358

I will say that if what you say is true, then the cablecard becomes a no brainer. I just see the trends in the industry and the movement away from set top boxes. Comcast has said the movement is going that way as well.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/co ... et-top-box

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 am

cbdudek wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 am
Where do you see that they intend to charge a monthly fee? All the literature that I see talks about Xfinity giving it out for free so long as you have a TV subscription package.
Back in Feb 2017, Comcast was *very* explicit regarding their intent to charge any device displaying to a "big screen" (i.e. a TV) at some equivalent of various STB prices. The mobile apps (such as the streaming apps) intended for small screen (mobile) devices were no cost (but do not run (properly, if at all) on "big screen" devices, and could not "cast" to a "big screen" device), which differentiated the market. That explicit statement caused great consternation for many at the time, but it was very explicit as to the intent.

It is not entirely clear how Comcast is going to be pricing things moving forward (the only ones who might actually know are likely in that nice new tower I see out the plane window when I fly through PHL, and they are not sharing). To put things in a bit of perspective, Comcast made the original statement regarding pricing a few years ago now, and (a) none the "big screen" apps (Roku, Samsung) have exited the trial beta since then (so are still not charged), (b) Comcast has, in some markets, been adjusting their entire STB fee structure as part of their various alternative delivery options(*), and (c) Comcast now offers some more pure IPTV solutions for some subs, which has further muddied the waters.

I believe the only take away is that things are in still in flux, and do not make assumptions that what one sees today will be what one experiences tomorrow.

(*) Note that for Comcast, there are two parts of the total cost, the STB rental itself, and what used to be named a "outlet fee", and has been renamed to be "service to an additional TV". It was the "service to additional TV" that was expected to be imposed on the Roku/Samsung apps when they exited the trial, so there would be a savings, just not as large of a savings as some were hoping for.
Last edited by gtb on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.