Feature Request- Dual Live Buffers

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
itzme

Feature Request- Dual Live Buffers

Postby itzme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm

I’m looking to easily flip between two tuners while both maintain a live buffer. **** has that feature,and DirectTV calls it DoublePlay. It lets you watch two somewhat live shows at the same time and skip commercials on both. Is there any way to it with my HD Homerun Quattro?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feature Request- Dual Live Buffers

Postby nateb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm

You could set both to manually record. I'm curious about the alternate versions out there. Do they like intelligently skip once a commercial starts or something?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:27 pm

You could set both to manually record. I'm curious about the alternate versions out there. Do they like intelligently skip once a commercial starts or something?
No, you pause one when a commercial break starts, and switch to the other tuner. Then, when you have a commercial break on the second tuner, pause it and flip back to the first tuner. Usually, enough time has elapsed to allow you to fast forward through the commercials on the first tuner. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is only the simplest example of watching with DirecTV's DoublePlay feature. The other feature that having two tuners simultaneously available for live viewing enables, though, is picture-in-picture, in all of its various configurations (PiP, side-by-side, etc.). By enabling a second tuner for live viewing on clients for HDHR tuners, you could also implement PiP.

itzme

Postby itzme » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 am

No, you pause one when a commercial break starts, and switch to the other tuner. Then, when you have a commercial break on the second tuner, pause it and flip back to the first tuner. Usually, enough time has elapsed to allow you to fast forward through the commercials on the first tuner. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is only the simplest example of watching with DirecTV's DoublePlay feature. The other feature that having two tuners simultaneously available for live viewing enables, though, is picture-in-picture, in all of its various configurations (PiP, side-by-side, etc.). By enabling a second tuner for live viewing on clients for HDHR tuners, you could also implement PiP.
Exactly. I use the feature alot, whether its for two football games or a news network and ESPN (back and forth). So which party has to design this feature? It sounds like a multi-tuner Homerun has the specs to handle it, so should one of the 3rd party software companies add this? When this feature comes about I'll be ready to fully cut the cord :D

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

This feels simultaneously really easy to make and really hard to make. It's "easy" because you can theoretically do this right now. If you manually start recording two shows, you can switch back and forth in the way described pretty much right now. It's "hard" because what you're looking for is clearly a UI change to make it look like you didn't start 2 recordings that automatically tosses those recordings when you're finished and that allows you to switch rapidly between recordings from either a pop up menu or from live tv, maybe by grouping the channels next to each other or by hitting the last channel button. Oh! Or taking the cue off that pause comment, there could be a little indicator that shows a channels is paused in slice that only works on the last channel you paused and the channel you are currently viewing. That could be neat.

Another question about this feature. Do you have to designate the channels beforehand, or are you always keeping two streams buffering? What I mean is, do you need to hit pause, or can you switch back and forth between 2 channels and hit rewind to get to the right point?

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Except that there is no last channel option. Also, the lack of a one touch record option means that you have to completely back out of what you're doing, then navigate to the two programs by either searching or maneuvering through the discover section until you randomly land upon the two programs. There is very little grace in the process. Windows Media Center allowed you to simply go into the guide and press the record button on both programs while you were playing one of said channels. Why can't we simply hit record from the slice menu while watching TV?

itzme

Postby itzme » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

This feels simultaneously really easy to make and really hard to make. It's "easy" because you can theoretically do this right now. If you manually start recording two shows, you can switch back and forth in the way described pretty much right now. It's "hard" because what you're looking for is clearly a UI change to make it look like you didn't start 2 recordings that automatically tosses those recordings when you're finished and that allows you to switch rapidly between recordings from either a pop up menu or from live tv, maybe by grouping the channels next to each other or by hitting the last channel button. Oh! Or taking the cue off that pause comment, there could be a little indicator that shows a channels is paused in slice that only works on the last channel you paused and the channel you are currently viewing. That could be neat.

Another question about this feature. Do you have to designate the channels beforehand, or are you always keeping two streams buffering? What I mean is, do you need to hit pause, or can you switch back and forth between 2 channels and hit rewind to get to the right point?
DirectTV does it now fairly elloquently. Tune to a channel, hit the down arrow (a msg tells you that youve activated doubleplay and that itll be active for 90 mins) select a 2nd channel. Thats it. If you hit pause, it'll be at the same place when you return. If you dont, youll simply remwind to where you want. And you're right, it all there already we just need a GUI tweak to make it elloquent and easy. BTW, you never need to hit record unless you want to.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Added to the list. After going through the user story for this, there are several other issues/features that would need to be addressed to make this happen, including better conflict handling and such. So could take a bit before we're able to do this.

itzme

Postby itzme » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Excellent! Let me know if / how I can help you test.

scyto

Postby scyto » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Added to the list. After going through the user story for this, there are several other issues/features that would need to be addressed to make this happen, including better conflict handling and such. So could take a bit before we're able to do this.
That’s cool, thanks, btw the box that shall not be named also does this along with good conflict management. Might be good for reference.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”