An Outsider's Perspective on Premium TV and Silicon Dust in General

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Primative Cool

An Outsider's Perspective on Premium TV and Silicon Dust in General

Postby Primative Cool » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm currently a cable subscriber that's considering cutting the cord. I have researched the various streaming options and found Silicon Dust to have a good strategy to deliver both local channels and premium channels using a single interface similar to cable offerings at a considerable savings.

I was planning to begin testing with HDHomeRun at the first of the year, but postponed once the upstream content problem started. The original channel lineup was good for a fair price but as a new subscriber it sounds like I'd still pay the full price even with the missing channels. The $10 credit is apparently only for existing customers. They should consider reducing the cost for all users to $24.99 until the original channel lineup is restored.

I understand that legal issues can be complicated to comment on but the inconsistent communication and approach by Silicon Dust during this outage has given me great concern. I have also spent more time looking into their support in general and I see that same lack of consistency with other issues like technical problems (stream quality, etc.).

I understand that there are many items out of their control but the lack on communication and consistency is a big red flag. No one should expect perfection but good communication and consistency are two very important qualities of good companies.

Having problems (like upstream providers) then post something clearly stating what you can or can't tell us and then update it regularly. Point all other related questions back to that post to avoid inconsistency and confusion. You kind of started doing that but then there were additional comments made on other posts and recently the original post was removed with no further updates.

Customers are forgiving but they don't like to be kept in the dark. Tell them what you can and keep them updated even if the update is that there is no update. Tell them the problems you're aware of and your plans and timetables to deal with said problems. I have been in technical support for almost 35 years and I can tell you that good communication and consistency make most customers very loyal to you even if you can't fix everything.

I think Silicon Dust has some good ideas but they need to execute their plans better. Good communication and consistent delivery will go a long way in improving their company. I hate people who bitch with no suggestions for improvement so I wanted to give you some constructive feedback and hope others will chime in with constructive criticism of their own.

Thanks.

ColoChuck

Re: An Outsider's Perspective on Premium TV and Silicon Dust in General

Postby ColoChuck » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Very nicely said.

satinkzo

Postby satinkzo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:48 pm

I wish SD would take the OP post to heart. I like their hardware but this whole premium TV thing is beyond them it seems. I just got billed $34.99 again no credit. My renewal date isn't for 2 more days though. So I go in to cancel and it allows me and says it will take effect in two days. So I guess a CC chargeback is now in order. So odd that a simple database change to reflect the 24.99 is all it would take and be done with this credit BS. I'd gladly take current lineup for 24.99. But having to monitor for credits is not worth it.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 am

I wish SD would take the OP post to heart. I like their hardware but this whole premium TV thing is beyond them it seems. I just got billed $34.99 again no credit. My renewal date isn't for 2 more days though. So I go in to cancel and it allows me and says it will take effect in two days. So I guess a CC chargeback is now in order. So odd that a simple database change to reflect the 24.99 is all it would take and be done with this credit BS. I'd gladly take current lineup for 24.99. But having to monitor for credits is not worth it.
That's because the "rack rate" is $34.99 for new comers apparently.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 am

Amen and well-said. I and several others have tried to make similar points for many weeks. I hope this thread helps encourage a positive dialog from SD on these issues.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”