One Premium TV account, 2 locations

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
snipeman

One Premium TV account, 2 locations

Postby snipeman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I already have a monthly subscription activated at my home in the city on a HDHR Duo. We're happy with the service.

We recently acquired a "cabin in the woods" and I installed a HDHR Quatro there connected to an antenna.

Is it possible for me to use my current subscription at the cabin with the 2nd HDHR Quatro?

I don't care about the maximum # of streams, 4 total is more than enough. I don't need a 2nd subscription just to get more streams. When I am at the cabin I would never use more than 1, and never more than 3 at the 2 locations.

I didn't know if this is technically possible and also acceptable or not in regards to rules. I'm not at the cabin a lot and would just love to access news when I am there.

spencer777

Re: One Premium TV account, 2 locations

Postby spencer777 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 am

The only thing you can do is set up a server, with
Plex, Emby or Channels and watch remotely from home.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:38 am

You can use the activation link a second time on a different HDHomeRun box and it will "push out" the other location. It's not exactly a supported use case, but there's nothing actually stopping someone from just re-activating whenever they change their location. Just understand that only one location will work at a time.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:29 am

What defines a location? It appears that we can have two (at least) devices registered at one time. Is it the IP address?

If so, what happens if the dynamic IP address changes at the registered location? Do we end up with no Premium TV access until re-activated?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am

What defines a location? It appears that we can have two (at least) devices registered at one time. Is it the IP address?

If so, what happens if the dynamic IP address changes at the registered location? Do we end up with no Premium TV access until re-activated?
The activated tuner occasionally calls home. If two activated boxes call home from different networks, the most recently activated tuner will be the winner.

edit: At least, I think that's how it works. I'm not a dev, so I'm not totally certain.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

OK - Sounds fairly automatic. Meaning that an IP address change at the current location would automatically re-register and service would not be interrupted?

How many streams can one location have? It is not clear to me if four streams is the maximum. Can one location have 2 four-tuner HDHomeRuns for 8 streams of Premium TV (if the locations internet connection was wide enough)?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm

OK - Sounds fairly automatic. Meaning that an IP address change at the current location would automatically re-register and service would not be interrupted?

How many streams can one location have? It is not clear to me if four streams is the maximum. Can one location have 2 four-tuner HDHomeRuns for 8 streams of Premium TV (if the locations internet connection was wide enough)?
Only 4 streams.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Only 4 streams.
Thanks

snipeman

Postby snipeman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks for the answers.

Pushing my main home tuner off the one subscription in favor of the other isn't a great solution for me as the original is recording in Plex.

My workaround is that I've setup 2 Plex servers, one with the HDHOME Premium service at my main house, the cabin location with the antenna.
Ironically the cabin is able to get antenna signals, while the main house is in a river canyon and can not.

I don't have the program guides integrated of course, but I can watch things from either source at either location.

I'm saving a ton compared to 2 satellite subscriptions...

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”