2-week free preview -- looks promising

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
cactussheep

2-week free preview -- looks promising

Postby cactussheep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Lots of channels that my wife and I watch have been added since I last looked at HDHomeRun Premium TV. This progress is very encouraging. Hallmark, notably, is missing still.

But I will cancel before I get charged because there's no Apple TV app. Plex on Apple TV has not worked well for me. When the Apple TV app becomes available, I will try the service again with the HDHomeRun DVR. If/when everything looks good, I'll switch from DirecTV Now.

jseymour

Re: 2-week free preview -- looks promising

Postby jseymour » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

But I will cancel before I get charged because there's no Apple TV app.
That's one of the reasons we switched to Channels. We don't have any Apple TVs now, but I suspect that will eventually change. I've been underwhelmed with the performance of the one brand of Android TV we've tried (and want to get as far away from Google as I can, anyway), and I'm only slightly less underwhelmed with Fire TV.

epayson85

Postby epayson85 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:26 am

Plex is underwhelming. Emby is the way to go and works great on an appletv. However the Android experience is the best on a shield tv. Now that they added the mini TV guide that overlays while watching live TV... It's such an incredible experience.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Lots of channels that my wife and I watch have been added since I last looked at HDHomeRun Premium TV.
FYI, no channels have been added to Premium TV since it launched in August. They've only lost channels since then.

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am

Plex is great for watching your video library, but it is God awful for live TV. Download the Channels app for your Apple TV and iOS devices. It is far and away better than Plex and the HDHomeHun app. It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment. You won't be sorry!

https://getchannels.com/

cactussheep

Postby cactussheep » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:13 pm

FYI, no channels have been added to Premium TV since it launched in August. They've only lost channels since then.
My mistake; you are right. Internet Archive proves you right. I don't know how I overlooked them, but I did.

cactussheep

Postby cactussheep » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Plex is great for watching your video library, but it is God awful for live TV. Download the Channels app for your Apple TV and iOS devices. It is far and away better than Plex and the HDHomeHun app. It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment. You won't be sorry!

https://getchannels.com/
I like the HDHomeRun app on macOS. I'm hoping to see an Apple TV edition in the future. I'm not thrilled with Channels, but I agree it's much better than Plex.

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am

I like the HDHomeRun app on macOS. I'm hoping to see an Apple TV edition in the future. I'm not thrilled with Channels, but I agree it's much better than Plex.
Just curious - What don't you like about Channels?

cactussheep

Postby cactussheep » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm

Just curious - What don't you like about Channels?
Let me correct that. I don’t dislike Channels; I like the HDHomeRun interface on mac better.

Update: my wife likes Channels better than DirecTV Now and she watches much more TV than I. I like the Channels DVR more than DirecTV Now. So we may keep Premium TV and Channels after all!

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:41 am

Let me correct that. I don’t dislike Channels; I like the HDHomeRun interface on mac better.
I love Channels. But I agree - Their Mac interface stinks. Because they don't have one; all they have is a web interface. But I found a pretty cool way around it. There is an app called Fluid (and it's free!) that allows you to create an "app" out of any web page. So I used it to create a Channels app. It opens in its own window, completely separate from Chrome. It still isn't as good as a native app, but it works well enough. You can watch all of your channels or recorded shows.

I gave up on the HDHomeRun Mac app when I realized it randomly omitted the center channel on some programming. I contacted their tech support, and they blamed my computer and speakers. Channels works perfectly for the same show, but somehow it was my hardware? Come on...

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”