TV Everywhere Registration

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
rrussis82

TV Everywhere Registration

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Is there anyway that SD can register their lineup with TV Everywhere? Everyone who subscribes to PTV has to have an email address, why not go the one step further and have a password associated with it to make it an official SD Account that can be used to authenticate TV Everywhere.

This would allow any PTV account to view the individual networks streaming APPS. I think this is what the OP of the previous thread that was locked was trying to imply, but it went off in a different direction.

EricGRIT09

Re: TV Everywhere Registration

Postby EricGRIT09 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

SiliconDust has mentioned numerous times that this isn't a feature of their service - they do not have a contract in place with their provider(s) to allow access to the networks' apps.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 am

Yeah I can't see SD or Omniverse going to the networks asking for access

TechTaiycho

Postby TechTaiycho » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

plex or emby

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 am

plex or emby
?

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am

I think they mean, you can set up Plex or Emby to watch Premium TV and your DVR recordings anywhere.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

I think they mean, you can set up Plex or Emby to watch Premium TV and your DVR recordings anywhere.
Ok , that's not what tv everywhere means

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 pm

SD sources their Premium lineup from Omniverse. Omiverse doesn't have the kind of contract in place that allows for provider logins and is unlikely to get it. I.e. what you want isn't possible or likely at least with the current setup.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 am

SD sources their Premium lineup from Omniverse. Omiverse doesn't have the kind of contract in place that allows for provider logins and is unlikely to get it. I.e. what you want isn't possible or likely at least with the current setup.
I'm not sure how TVEverywhere contracts work. Is it between the providers and networks, or are they third party which contracts between providers and themselves and just verify the from the provider the account and what they subscribe to, and have a contract themselves with the networks to provide the streams to the APP with verification the user pays for that contract?

If the latter, would SD be able to contract with TVeverywhere themselves?

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am

I'm not sure how TVEverywhere contracts work. Is it between the providers and networks, or are they third party which contracts between providers and themselves and just verify the from the provider the account and what they subscribe to, and have a contract themselves with the networks to provide the streams to the APP with verification the user pays for that contract?

If the latter, would SD be able to contract with TVeverywhere themselves?
It's much more like the former. "TV Everywhere" isn't even an actual entity, it's just a generic term for networks allowing authenticated access to streaming content.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Everywhere

Obviously networks use vendors to actually provide the authentication and streaming, but the networks still retain full access control. Adobe (the big authentication provider) doesn't own any access rights to the streams themselves -- they are just providing a service to the networks.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 am

Ok , that's not what tv everywhere means
Yeah, it's better.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Ok , that's not what "Advertising Everywhere" means
There we go... fixed that for ya.

lol

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I was just curious because there is an app that you sign in with your providers credentials, puts the channels you subscribe to that have a TVEverywhere into a grid style and allows you to watch those stations, it was mentioned in another threat that was locked. I tested it and it was a bit clunky to use and you couldn't get locals unless you were in an area that provided them with another account. Not sure I can name them here so I won't. but the theory behind it is great, that's why I was interested in the TVEverywhere credentials, because it would be awesome if SD had that ability for PTV, or for those/us with cable providers engineer their software to be able to do the same but less clunky, or even for those that subscribe to streaming services. That other APP I spoke of allows you to login with streaming TV providers also. I would just like to see SD do something like that, or provide us the ability to use it in that other APP.

I thought their goal was one APP for it all. and that would do it.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I was just curious because there is an app that you sign in with your providers credentials, puts the channels you subscribe to that have a TVEverywhere into a grid style and allows you to watch those stations, it was mentioned in another threat that was locked. I tested it and it was a bit clunky to use and you couldn't get locals unless you were in an area that provided them with another account. Not sure I can name them here so I won't. but the theory behind it is great, that's why I was interested in the TVEverywhere credentials, because it would be awesome if SD had that ability for PTV, or for those/us with cable providers engineer their software to be able to do the same but less clunky, or even for those that subscribe to streaming services. That other APP I spoke of allows you to login with streaming TV providers also. I would just like to see SD do something like that, or provide us the ability to use it in that other APP.

I thought their goal was one APP for it all. and that would do it.
Not only would a provider have to make a deal with each network, they would have to pay extra for access. I'm using a certain color service and even though they carry a channel, they don't have access the individual network app.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 pm

I see, But how great would it be to have an additional subscription to say that philosopher sounding service, and that hulahoop service and put those credentials into the SD APP and watch your OTA/cable, PTV, plutotv even and those streaming channels in SD's guide like you can in that other APP (sans PTV and OTA), SD APP is much less clunky to use, although updating is needed.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”