Scribe and dvr services

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
ycavan

Scribe and dvr services

Postby ycavan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 am

Awesome news about the scribe and the free year of dvr that goes with it!

Couple of questions...

Can we load balance the dvr with multiple scribes?

If we purchase multiple scribes, will the the credit still be 1 year or will they all add 1 year?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Scribe and dvr services

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 am

Any active engine gets the same set of rules and as a result if 2 engines were running both would record provided sufficient tuners are available.

One way you could do it is isolate the networks and register the devices with different email addresses then each would have its own account and different set of rules. One might think it be possible to have half the channels available on each and balance that way but if on the same network, my understanding based on what they said about the "duo+" last year they should detect each other as available tuners and actually try to use each other if the rule was for a channel it didn't have.

Though since transfer may be coming, they might allow one to be a storage only engine (typical way to do this is specify null as the first RecordPath) thus allow one to balance the load for serving previously recorded programs but not for actual recording.

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 am

SD doesn't really have the best track record with hardware announcements. Where is the Prime 6 that was announced at last year's CES?? Not to mention all of the missing channels with their Premium TV service. I think they need to focus on fixing what they have before announcing anything else new...

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 am

Can we load balance the dvr with multiple scribes?
Yes, if you have two Scribe models you will have 4 tuners and 2TB of storage available for recordings.
If we purchase multiple scribes, will the the credit still be 1 year or will they all add 1 year?
I actually don't know... I will have to get back to you on that.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am

So we are getting an update to the record engines as the current engine won't do that. I'm concentrating more on the "load balancing" part of the question in aspects to recording rather than yes one would have 4 tuners and 2TB of available storage that can load balance for already recorded content by having some files on one and others on another.

I don't expect an answer soon (lots of stuff going on this week) but an update on how things can be accessed on the devices would also be appreciated as there have been mention of transfering files... will it be a traditional "share" (what protocol/version ), any other major protocols supported to manage device that one might expect from a NAS.

Also what speed is the ethernet port... gigabit can come in handy for file transfer but I have seen mention of a 4 stream limit for recording- particularly with servio- was that a lowball estimate as more may encounter issues and/or was that also taking in to an account of not having gigabit (even 100 should support 6 if you go by what is being said about the prim6 6)

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am

Neat, but can you use either of these with an AppleTV? Since there's still no native HDHomeRun app for AppleTV, seems like there'd be no way to interface with the devices for ATV users, right?

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 am

SD doesn't really have the best track record with hardware announcements. Where is the Prime 6 that was announced at last year's CES?? Not to mention all of the missing channels with their Premium TV service. I think they need to focus on fixing what they have before announcing anything else new...
I agree. Several things are incomplete now.

DRM recordings for Prime3.
Prime6 in its entirety.
Hallmark and Discovery on PremiumTV .

I'd like a fix on these before another product rolls out but I know SiliconDust needs to keep on target with the market to grow.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Neat, but can you use either of these with an AppleTV? Since there's still no native HDHomeRun app for AppleTV, seems like there'd be no way to interface with the devices for ATV users, right?
Not right now there isn't. In time I bet they will eventually have and AppleTV app. Right now they are trying to Fix the UI for UWP (Windows, Xbo), MacOS, iOS, Android(Phone/Tablet, AndroidTV, FireTV). The only major ones missing are Roku and AppleTV. Of all of these AppleTV has the smallest market share (15%) of all streaming devices and it doesn't support web based UIs like everyone else does. So smallest market share and more difficult to develop for means it gets put on the back burner until everything else is where it needs to be.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

robak1965

Postby robak1965 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Will Quatro's/Duo's on the same network have the ability to record to the Scribes drive?

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Will Quatro's/Duo's on the same network have the ability to record to the Scribes drive?
Yes that is the way it's intended to work.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”