Let us choose what channels we want

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
beefjerky

Let us choose what channels we want

Postby beefjerky » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:39 am

I ask the SiliconDust team to offer us the ability to choose what channels we want, and only pay for those. That's part of the reason I gave up cable to begin with; the forced bundling. For example, I have zero interest in sports, and do not want to pay for those channels. I will never watch them, and they're also some of the more expensive channels. Should you at some point offer this ability, I would strongly consider subscribing. Until then, no thanks.

CaptSmokey6

Re: Let us choose what channels we want

Postby CaptSmokey6 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:39 am

+1 to that! I too don't watch sports at all and would love to not have to pay for those channels and any other channels I don't want. But very often, those networks require that providers carry many of their channels in order to be able to carry programming from a particular channel or else, the provider wouldn't be allowed to carry that one specific channel, It's how it goes. But who knows? Maybe SD's upstream provider can negotiate a special deal to allow customers to pick only what they want, but it's highly unlikely the networks will allow for such an arrangement because these networks wanna be greedy and milk as much money from the consumers as possible by forcing them to take bundles of channels rather than individual channels rather the consumers like it or not.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 am

This sounds like what may happen when you fall asleep at night and... dream.

Unfortunately, the real world greeting you when you wake up is something very different.

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:46 am

This sounds like what may happen when you fall asleep at night and... dream.

Unfortunately, the real world greeting you when you wake up is something very different.
Right on, AC..here in Vegas land I'd like to choose only those slot machines that pay off..
Lets see..I'd like CNBC and TCM and Lifetime for $5/month..SD can you do this for me..?
No offense meant to the OP but ala carte pricing has been beaten down by the majors for going on
three decades flexing their monopolistic power..SD is attempting to disrupt this power..go team!

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 am

SD already stated it's not happening. Use ***** or Att watch if you want no sports

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 am

No offense meant to the OP but ala carte pricing has been beaten down by the majors for going on
three decades flexing their monopolistic power..SD is attempting to disrupt this power..go team!
... and we're all living in the nightmare of the present watching SD, like our hero Don Quixote, tilting at those windmills without much effect while channels are being ripped from our feeble grasp - and we can't do a thing about it.

Ya'll can dream about things you can't have, but if I'm gonna dream about things I can't have it's gonna be flyin' cars and warp drive. At least those two things are do-able - in the movies.

I did have total Ala Carte' back when I had a C-Band Satellite dish. Big Cable scrambled for a few years until they convinced government something that is Free For All when broadcast, magically turns into their private property once they pipe it down a wire. That kind of magic is absolutely the stuff dreams are made of, but for us, it's all too real.
Last edited by ACraigo on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 am

Ya'll can dream about things you can't have, but if I'm gonna dream about things I can't have it's gonna be flyin' cars and warp drive. At least those two things are do-able - in the movies.
:lol:

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 am

It's good to have dreams, even if they're entirely unrealistic.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 am

Taken from another thread, posted by a SD member (nickk)
How it works...

We go to content company X and say we want to distribute some or all of their channels and do so on an À la carte basis.

They say no.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm

I ask the SiliconDust team to offer us the ability to choose what channels we want, and only pay for those. That's part of the reason I gave up cable to begin with; the forced bundling. For example, I have zero interest in sports, and do not want to pay for those channels. I will never watch them, and they're also some of the more expensive channels. Should you at some point offer this ability, I would strongly consider subscribing. Until then, no thanks.
I see that you gave up cable due to "forced bundling". What service did you find to replace cable with that does not "force bundling"?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”