Stream Differences?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
robmich

Stream Differences?

Postby robmich » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Is there a difference in how you send OTA channels through a Quatro vs. the PTV channels. I use Kodi as a front end and all the various commands pause/play/skip, etc. work with OTA but the commands do not work (grayed out or missing) for the PTV channels. I am running this on a Nvidia Shield with an Emby server backend.

Rob

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Stream Differences?

Postby nateb » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm confused. Are you running the channels through emby, and then using an emby addon to watch the channels in Kodi?

The channels are all fed the same, but it's possible emby is doing something funny in the middle?

robmich

Postby robmich » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Running Kodi 18 on the Shield. Using HDHomerun app for the PVR so the channels show up in the Kodi EPG. I use ServerWMC to pull OTA recordings into Kodi and the EMBY to record the Premium channels (WMC cannot see them) and the Emby app for Kodi so all the premium recordings show up in the library. I know it sounds complex but it works great.

As I have seen, some of the commands such as pause do not show up in the OSD only when watching live premium channels. The live OTA channels are all OK. Hope that explains it better.. It's acting like a non time shifted stream that cannot be paused??

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Running Kodi 18 on the Shield. Using HDHomerun app for the PVR so the channels show up in the Kodi EPG. I use ServerWMC to pull OTA recordings into Kodi and the EMBY to record the Premium channels (WMC cannot see them) and the Emby app for Kodi so all the premium recordings show up in the library. I know it sounds complex but it works great.

As I have seen, some of the commands such as pause do not show up in the OSD only when watching live premium channels. The live OTA channels are all OK. Hope that explains it better.. It's acting like a non time shifted stream that cannot be paused??
Is it because you are direct streaming PTV but server is transcoding OTA? The stream types will be different so Emby may be transcoding fir some reason on OTA. Bitrate or deinterlacing would be my bet.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 pm

Is it because you are direct streaming PTV but server is transcoding OTA? The stream types will be different so Emby may be transcoding fir some reason on OTA. Bitrate or deinterlacing would be my bet.
This was my first thought as well.

The only real difference in between the OTA and PTV streams is that OTA is MPEG-2 (H.262) and PTV is H.264. Both should be sent in a .ts container.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 am

I still need help with this. I have narrowed it down and I do not believe it is an Emby or Kodi issue. In a vanilla Kodi with no add-ons, I can pause any of the OTA signals/channels, but I cannot pause any of the PTV channels. It works just fine in Emby. Even you HD app for Kodi will not pause the PTV channels. Is there anything I need to look at?

Rob

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 am

I still need help with this. I have narrowed it down and I do not believe it is an Emby or Kodi issue. In a vanilla Kodi with no add-ons, I can pause any of the OTA signals/channels, but I cannot pause any of the PTV channels. It works just fine in Emby. Even you HD app for Kodi will not pause the PTV channels. Is there anything I need to look at?

Rob
Someone already mentioned it, but do you know if your OTA streams are being transcoded? There may be something Emby/Kodi doesn't like with streams in a .ts container and if the OTA streams are being transcoded, the container would probably be changing as well. Everything you've tried involved Kodi, so methinks the problem might be there.

Have you tried just using the Emby client?

EDIT: Also, maybe read through this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... anscoding/

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 am

I don't think Kodi gives me the opportunity to set the streams to direct or transcode, I'll have to doublecheck.

Main reason I use Kodi is my Wife likes the looks and commands and I like that is uses EDL files for commercial skip.
Last edited by robmich on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 am

Rob
Could you give some more details about your Kodi setup? When I use the Kodi PVR addon (what I'm assuming you're talking about when you say Kodi with no addons), I can't get any channels to pause. I also can't get live channels (of either variety) to pause with the official addon, which is actually wrong. The official addon should probably be able to do live tv play pause when I think about it.

So I'm actually somewhat impressed you got any channels to pause in Kodi.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I use ServerWMC for the PVR portion as I still record with WMC (to utilize the PrimeTime feature of ServerWMC). I don't think ServerWMC doews anything other than act as a conduit for WMC recordings. Now here is the weird one. I just tried my other Shield in my Bedroom that is setup the s,e way and ALL channels pause. In the BR, I use ServerWMC and the Emby app so all the channels can show up in the EPG.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm

All channels do pause correctly inside the Emby app, none of them pause at all in your HD app??

Rob

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:12 pm

As I recall, the official kodi addon has not been updated to take advantage of the DVR for live stream and/or for self buffering the tuner directly (some versions of kodi may buffer a little as pause would "appear" to work but often on many devices just for a few seconds or not at all, as it immediately resumed to "live"). You are compounding where the issue lies buy using ServerWMC and Emby (premium tv can't be used (live-to be recorded) by wmc).

The HDHomeRun App (not add on) will buffer locally if there is sufficient memory on the device or if one uses SD's DVR. I am nor sure how the "unofficial" kodi addon "buffers" if there is no (sd's hdhr) DVR engine but I do know it can be used without the dvr.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 pm

OK, so here is my "final"discovery... Nothing seems to pause the HD streams inside Kodi, not the actual HD app or any add-on EXCEPT ServerWMC which WILL allow Kodi to pause the HD OTA streams. Since it cannot see the PTV channels, when I add the HD PVR so those channels are added to the EPG, the PTV channels will not pause. The Standalone Emby app works and pauses all streams. So I'll just have to make some choices..

Thanks everyone!

Rob

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:22 am

OK, so here is my "final"discovery... Nothing seems to pause the HD streams inside Kodi, not the actual HD app or any add-on EXCEPT ServerWMC which WILL allow Kodi to pause the HD OTA streams. Since it cannot see the PTV channels, when I add the HD PVR so those channels are added to the EPG, the PTV channels will not pause. The Standalone Emby app works and pauses all streams. So I'll just have to make some choices..

Thanks everyone!

Rob
Have you tried the unofficial HDHomeRun KODI app … you can pause livetv and recordings.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776

robmich

Postby robmich » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Friend, you have made my day!! It works, now as soon as I figure out how to import the EPG info, (guess I'll have to read the instructions), I am all set.

Thanks!

Rob

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”