Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
KryptoNyte

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby KryptoNyte » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I just noticed the revised health/status post here;

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=69262

That the post regarding the loss of these services has been removed. Have these channels been reinstated, or is the service just losing ... services?

dinki

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby dinki » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:11 pm

I just noticed the revised health/status post here;

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=69262

That the post regarding the loss of these services has been removed. Have these channels been reinstated, or is the service just losing ... services?
This is certainly a new development. Not sure what it means, but according to a cache of the page :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... e&ie=UTF-8

The blurb about:
With regard to the HDHomeRun Premium TV line up, there is an upstream contract dispute relating to Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN.

We will continue to issue updates as they come.
was still up as of yesterday. Certainly hoping this leads to good news. I just signed up to an additional service to get Hallmark for 'Puppy Bowl' for the kids tomorrow.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:33 pm

I am watching this forum while waiting for these channels to return. I'm sure my wife won't consider Premium TV as a cable replacement until they're available. I know the next thing she will want to know is if this channel removal will happen again someday. I hope a lasting agreement is in the near future.

It would be nice if the status posts would not be removed for historical purposes.

raygu303

Postby raygu303 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 am

Hopefully we hear something one way or the other. It's pretty weird that the post isn't there anymore!

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 am

I know the next thing she will want to know is if this channel removal will happen again someday.
There is nothing lasting forever with carriage contracts. While any specific contract is usually multi-year, they are regularly renegotiated (for all providers). Most of the time there is little or no drama, but never say never (again). As I recall, there were over 100 "blackouts" last year regarding various carriage disputes across the industry. Some are resolved quickly, and some have lasted for years.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 am

I know the next thing she will want to know is if this channel removal will happen again someday.
There is nothing lasting forever with carriage contracts. While any specific contract is usually multi-year, they are regularly renegotiated (for all providers). Most of the time there is little or no drama, but never say never (again). As I recall, there were over 100 "blackouts" last year regarding various carriage disputes across the industry. Some are resolved quickly, and some have lasted for years.
While I understand this, we would be coming from cable that has never (that I can remember) lost a channel for any length of time. They have moved a channel from one tier to a higher one and at least we have the opportunity to pay more if we want the channel, but it is available.

Right now, these select channels via Premium TV have been unavailable with very little news on what is going to happen. If we had dropped cable for Premium TV and my wife asks how long we will be without Hallmark, etc, I wouldn't have an answer other than some lawyers, somewhere, out of our reach, are supposed to be talking about it. I don't even know what the actual problem is. I can speculate, but that doesn't mean much.

I want to believe that the streaming of cable channels is sort of in it's infancy and all vendors are learning as we go forward. With cable, my wife and I only have one choice. Streaming would increase competition. Or so I think.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Hopefully we hear something one way or the other. It's pretty weird that the post isn't there anymore!
Absolutely agree. It would be awesome to get some sort of official statement from SD on the change before people post assumptions and invoke the moderation furies.

dinki

Postby dinki » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm

You would think that if a moderator took the time to delete that post that they would have the time to let us know if something has changed. I wouldn't think that would be asking too much, but hey, I'm just a customer.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:25 pm

You would think that if a moderator took the time to delete that post that they would have the time to let us know if something has changed. I wouldn't think that would be asking too much, but hey, I'm just a customer.
There are many that want the health to indicate operational status of the documented channels (and these mentioned channels have been removed from formal availability, so their health is not relevant), and not some carriage negotiation issues regarding future channel availability.

So there is no pleasing all of the people all of the time.

dinki

Postby dinki » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Hmm.. perhaps you're right. It's just odd that that post that has been up for close to two months just disappeared suddenly on a Saturday. Some clarification from SD would be great though.

I guess you can hear my frustration or perhaps it comes across as pettiness. I would have dropped this service a while back had I not invested money in a quatro and more drive space for my server. I also really like that all my tv is in one unified place which makes life a lot easier for the rest of the family in not having to switch between apps. It's sad to admit, but I check this forum daily for news on these 'missing' channels in the hopes of their return. I guess I'm trying to justify keeping the service.

I'm trying out another service now and perhaps I may just have to suspend my Premium Channels account until all this is straightened out one way or the other. I want to support the service but these channels make up the core of what we waste our time in watching tv on.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:29 pm

I my opinion they no longer list the missing channels in the Premium TV Service - Health/Status , because what you see is what you get for $24.99... They do not have any idea if they will ever comeback that is why it is no longer listed as an issue... So either you are satisfied with the offered channels for $24.99 or not, it is up to the individual.

This is just my opinion.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm

When I select the Buy Now from the Premium TV menu on the main page, I am greeted with an image showing $34.99. Maybe they will change that out soon. I am hoping they restore those channels, BTW.

Mattgob86

Postby Mattgob86 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am

Something smells fishy :?:

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Funny I have Comcast and just lost the MGM HD Channel … so losing channels seems to be the norm regardless of provider.

Why is Comcast no longer offering the MGM HD channel?

Changes to our ability to bring you channels can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes contracts expire and we are able to renew them without interruption to service. Other times, the network cancels the business agreement with Comcast and we are not able to renew. This second situation is the case for our contract to carry the MGM HD channel, so we are no longer able to offer this programming.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Funny I have Comcast and just lost the MGM HD Channel … so losing channels seems to be the norm regardless of provider.

Why is Comcast no longer offering the MGM HD channel?

Changes to our ability to bring you channels can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes contracts expire and we are able to renew them without interruption to service. Other times, the network cancels the business agreement with Comcast and we are not able to renew. This second situation is the case for our contract to carry the MGM HD channel, so we are no longer able to offer this programming.
MGM HD is an all high-definition television cable network. It features movies from the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer library of approximately 1,200 movies mastered in a high-definition-compatible format. Wikipedia
Founded: 2006
Dish Network: 385
Headquarters: Warsaw, Poland

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”