Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Noah0504

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby Noah0504 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Before I cancel my DirectTV I want to make sure that all advertised channels are available.
No, the channels are not back. However, they currently aren't advertising them either.

Gewithers

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby Gewithers » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Based on what data can you say most noticed? Other that a bit of feedback on these forums, how do you know the number that actually care and what percentage of the overall subscription base really is upset enough to go with a different provider? At best your assumption is supessition.
Supposition, but I think you did the same when you stated: "we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term"

Obviously none of us know the exact numbers, but it is commonly understood that SD's Premium TV margins are thin, and their current market share is small, so even losing a small number of subscribers at this point could hurt the service's prospects. (And that goes beyond customers who are upset and leave -- prospective customers are making first impressions of the service every day based on the smaller channel lineup, and those impressions could be hard to overcome down the road, even if those channels come back. Note that even though SD is taking care of us with a $10 credit now, the advertised price is still $35, just for fewer channels.)
t
With "we" I meant the two of us in our household, so that was not supposition.

I am confident this will be resolved without a major impact on the overall product's success. That is however supposition on my part.

brian4sd

Postby brian4sd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:00 am

Can someone at SD at least let us know if negotiations are still being discussed and give us assurances we will be notified via email if no agreement is reached and talks are over? I just came from VUE and do NOT want to go back. SD combined with Channels DVR is MUCH better. Another update would be nice. Thanks a million.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

Can someone at SD at least let us know if negotiations are still being discussed and give us assurances we will be notified via email if no agreement is reached and talks are over? I just came from VUE and do NOT want to go back. SD combined with Channels DVR is MUCH better. Another update would be nice. Thanks a million.
We will absolutely alert you if talks end and this is the final line up. Given that these are lawyers we're talking about, just personally, I'd be pretty surprised if anything noteworthy happened between now and Jan 1st, because of holidays. But from this point forward if we get any worthwhile updates, we'll definitely pass them along.

feelfree86

Postby feelfree86 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Without these channels I do not see how it will attract new users … it is important that they keep pursuing getting these channels back.
Well, considering we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term.
Yeah... Umm pretty sure my wife noticed immediately. And if it keeps going on for longer, SD will have lost a customer because of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

brian4sd

Postby brian4sd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am

Without these channels I do not see how it will attract new users … it is important that they keep pursuing getting these channels back.
Well, considering we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term.
Yeah... Umm pretty sure my wife noticed immediately. And if it keeps going on for longer, SD will have lost a customer because of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.
Same, my wife was not happy. I have confidence SD will get us going again!

brian4sd

Postby brian4sd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am

We will absolutely alert you if talks end and this is the final line up. Given that these are lawyers we're talking about, just personally, I'd be pretty surprised if anything noteworthy happened between now and Jan 1st, because of holidays. But from this point forward if we get any worthwhile updates, we'll definitely pass them along.
Thanks so much for the update Nate!

Nesfire18

Postby Nesfire18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm

These are channels that are important to my family members. We're returning the HomeRun and we went with ***** TV and Amazon Fire tv sticks 4k with an amplified digital antenna . Over 150 channels for 69.98 p/mo, no taxes or surcharges, includes DVR service.

jbis

Postby jbis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

control4reak

Postby control4reak » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Ill be forced to leave for another provider unless this is resolved soon. Hallmark is a critical channel for my family.

Griffclan14

Postby Griffclan14 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:54 pm

We've taken the $10 credit and subscribed to P h i l o in the meantime to supplement the lost channels. Yes, it does cost an additional $6 at the end of the day, but with my hdhomerun quatro setup, this will be a great all-in service (thanks to Channels DVR as well) when the upstream contract issue is resolved and to me, it's worth paying an extra $6/mo in the meantime until it is.
Last edited by Griffclan14 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... tensifies/

Just an FYI. Here's another major outage due to doubling of prices by content holders.

Whee

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 am

Just an FYI. Here's another major outage due to doubling of prices by content holders.

Whee
Here's the key take-away:
Providers such as Charter must pay significant sums to programming companies for the right to distribute their shows and channels. But as more Americans have canceled their cable subscriptions in recent years, financial pressure has risen for both sides as each seeks to adapt to shifting consumer tastes.
It's just as predicted years ago, when cord-cutting first started becoming "a thing": As more-and-more people leave the big subscription TV sellers (cable, satellite) and try to go à la carte, the cost of the increasingly Balkanized subscription services are becoming more than redistributors and their customers are willing to bear.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:05 am

Whee
Hard to say whether that is really comparable to SD's situation here. I still think it could relate to Omniverse's weird contracts -- maybe they don't have the right to sell unlimited recording of channels, or maybe Omniverse re-sold them to too many providers, etc. This doesn't feel like the usual channel/carrier dispute over a fee.

Obviously, even this could be put in monetary terms -- I am sure there is some price $X that Omniverse/SD could pay to resolve the situation, although in this case $X might be prohibitive, especially if Hallmark/Discovery would rather see Omniverse go away instead.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 am

Whee
Hard to say whether that is really comparable to SD's situation here. I still think it could relate to Omniverse's weird contracts -- maybe they don't have the right to sell unlimited recording of channels, or maybe Omniverse re-sold them to too many providers, etc. This doesn't feel like the usual channel/carrier dispute over a fee.

Obviously, even this could be put in monetary terms -- I am sure there is some price $X that Omniverse/SD could pay to resolve the situation, although in this case $X might be prohibitive, especially if Hallmark/Discovery would rather see Omniverse go away instead.
The "rebroadcast" fee will do nothing but push more people to antenna. I'd be on Charter / Spectrum otherwise but have all my Tribune Channels coming in nice and clear without re-compression via my Quatro and Emby.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”