Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
gtb
Expert

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby gtb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm

MGM HD is an all high-definition television cable network. It features movies from the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer library of approximately 1,200 movies mastered in a high-definition-compatible format.
Because MGM owns the rights to their films (and pretty much no one wants to license those (often older, limited interest) movies), the content contract is basically "free money" for MGM(*). However, even when offered for "cheap", when you multiply "cheap" by 20 million subscribers it turns into real money(**). MGM and Comcast delayed the termination of the channel carriage for around six months because they probably thought they would come to an agreement, but it would appear that such an agreement was not achievable.

(*) Of course, all that free money never results in a profit for the movie itself (which is important for different contractual purposes).

(**) And there are additional costs than *just* the carriage fees.

robak1965

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby robak1965 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:17 pm

"Tom Smykowski: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the #%$/ customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

Who's dealing with the customers?

heimdm

Postby heimdm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm

I logged into my HD Homerun and noticed that the missing channels no longer show up. Not sure if that is a new development, but I am guessing these channels are gone for good.

urbnsr

Postby urbnsr » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 pm

I logged into my HD Homerun and noticed that the missing channels no longer show up. Not sure if that is a new development, but I am guessing these channels are gone for good.
I can only go off of the demo channel list and the missing channels never were included in my list. Maybe that's a demo channel-only thing??

Yes, I choose not to subscribe to the idea that the channels are gone :-)

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:21 pm

They haven't been there for quite some time.

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:44 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”