Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
acoulson2000

Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby acoulson2000 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 pm

FYI, if Silicondust doesn't resolve this contract issue soon, I too will be cancelling and moving on to another service.

Noah0504

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby Noah0504 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Okay.

rrussis82

Re: Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:56 am

SD locked the other posts about this because well, its been posted over and over and over... but yet a new topic pops up. we get it, everyone gets it, we don't need to keep hearing it.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 am

+1 on rrussis82's post.

SD is working on it. They are very aware that folks are frustrated. They are frustrated too. They're issuing credits. They're doing about all they can do. It's in the hands of the attorneys. Not much else can really be said about the issue.

If you're really upset, there's not much use in complaining about it here since it’s a known issue. Pick another provider and go in peace. Or stick around and be patient. Another 17 page epic doesn't help much.
Last edited by Zorg on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:36 am

Without these channels I do not see how it will attract new users … it is important that they keep pursuing getting these channels back.

darcilicious

Postby darcilicious » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:22 am

Without these channels I do not see how it will attract new users … it is important that they keep pursuing getting these channels back.
And clearly, they are. But hey, let's have another thread on the topic!

feelfree86

Postby feelfree86 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 am

Honestly, I think this is a bigger issue than what SD is making it out to be. SD gets their service from Omniverse One World Television service. Omniverse acquired the rights for internet-based TV service through a years-old cable contract. I bet once Discovery figured out how popular this contract was getting, they looked into it and terminated it. So it's either Omniverse renegs with Discovery (which likely won't happen), or SD negotiates with them directly, which will be costly, and probably raise the price on the subscription service.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 pm

It's probably in the hands of contract lawyers. I'm sure there was a contract between SD and the supplier stating these channels for this price for this time period. I'm sure it cant be discussed, and alternatives cant be discussed. But i'm sure if the contract is not being fulfilled, then the full price won't be paid, just like the credit SD offered us. I'm not sure why we keep beating a dead horse when at this point all SD can tell us is what they did and they offered money off. I'm sure we'll know more once its settled.

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm

It looks like the other Omniverse distributor that had Discovery and HGTV offline has them back online now...

Gewithers

Postby Gewithers » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Well, considering we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:19 pm

It's probably in the hands of contract lawyers.
I can't imagine it is not in the hands of lawyers. Who are effectively arguing over what the meaning of is is (bad joke, but still relevant).
I'm sure we'll know more once its settled.
I actually doubt the details of the various negotiations or the contract will ever be fully shared (NDAs, and all that). Either the channels will come back, or the service will remove them from the offering. Obviously the OP needs their MTV (again, bad joke, and in this case, Hallmark, etc.), and the right choice for this service, just like any other, is that if the value is not there for you at this time, go elsewhere. Not everyone is going to find the Premium TV to be the right mix for them. So be it.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Well, considering we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term.
I disagree this was noticed right away by most ... as this time of the year Hallmark runs their Christmas specials. Maybe you didn't notice but believe me most did. This was reported as far back as a month ago.

Gewithers

Postby Gewithers » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:58 am

I disagree this was noticed right away by most ... as this time of the year Hallmark runs their Christmas specials. Maybe you didn't notice but believe me most did. This was reported as far back as a month ago.
Based on what data can you say most noticed? Other that a bit of feedback on these forums, how do you know the number that actually care and what percentage of the overall subscription base really is upset enough to go with a different provider? At best your assumption is supessition.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Based on what data can you say most noticed? Other that a bit of feedback on these forums, how do you know the number that actually care and what percentage of the overall subscription base really is upset enough to go with a different provider? At best your assumption is supessition.
Supposition, but I think you did the same when you stated: "we did not notice that these channels were missing at all until I read about it in these forums, I do not think this will have much impact on the overall success of SD’s product over the long term"

Obviously none of us know the exact numbers, but it is commonly understood that SD's Premium TV margins are thin, and their current market share is small, so even losing a small number of subscribers at this point could hurt the service's prospects. (And that goes beyond customers who are upset and leave -- prospective customers are making first impressions of the service every day based on the smaller channel lineup, and those impressions could be hard to overcome down the road, even if those channels come back. Note that even though SD is taking care of us with a $10 credit now, the advertised price is still $35, just for fewer channels.)

Nesfire18

Postby Nesfire18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Before I cancel my DirectTV I want to make sure that all advertised channels are available.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”