If Upload is saturated, will your HD Homerun Premium TV recordings be affected?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
TheDetective

If Upload is saturated, will your HD Homerun Premium TV recordings be affected?

Postby TheDetective » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

If something on your network is consuming most of your upload bandwidth during a recording, can that cause problems with your Premium TV recordings? Such as, dropped frames, skipping in the video, things of that nature? I should mention that I'm on a DSL connection. My max upload speed is About 1.9 mbps. My download speed should be sufficient.

Andrroid

Re: If Upload is saturated, will your HD Homerun Premium TV recordings be affected?

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Your upload speed is irrelevant for distributing throughout your local network/recording to a local drive. It would only come into play if you were trying to access the content remotely through Plex or something.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Re: If Upload is saturated, will your HD Homerun Premium TV recordings be affected?

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm

If something on your network is consuming most of your upload bandwidth during a recording, can that cause problems with your Premium TV recordings? Such as, dropped frames, skipping in the video, things of that nature? I should mention that I'm on a DSL connection. My max upload speed is About 1.9 mbps. My download speed should be sufficient.
I believe it does when receiving a packet of data … I believe that a confirmation that the data was received is sent.

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Your upload speed is irrelevant for distributing throughout your local network/recording to a local drive. It would only come into play if you were trying to access the content remotely through Plex or something.
So, I could, for example, be remote streaming something through Emby, using all the upload speed, and HD Homerun could be recording something off the Internet at the same time, and it should not cause any problems?

I run into some recordings where frames freeze, and sometimes its like the video hits a "bump" that it can't go past unless I fast forward through that section. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing that. Most of the recordings come out alright.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 pm

So, I could, for example, be remote streaming something through Emby, using all the upload speed, and HD Homerun could be recording something off the Internet at the same time, and it should not cause any problems?

I run into some recordings where frames freeze, and sometimes its like the video hits a "bump" that it can't go past unless I fast forward through that section. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing that. Most of the recordings come out alright.
Remember Premium TV is not coming from your home network … It is using the same Pipeline as your uploads … so if you are uploading lots of data it will affect your downloads...

For every packet of data that has been sent to you from the server you are downloading from, it expects your computer to return an acknowledgement packet confirming that it has received that piece of data correctly.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Remember Premium TV is not coming from your home network … It is using the same Pipeline as your uploads … so if you are uploading lots of data it will affect your downloads...

For every packet of data that has been sent to you from the server you are downloading from, it expects your computer to return an acknowledgement packet confirming that it has received that piece of data correctly.
Yes, depending on the protocol used with the packet. if i recall udp video streams do not require an acknowledgment like HTTP would

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:50 pm

The real question is what protocol PTV uses. is it UDP TCP or HTTPS? or something else? that will determine if your upstream saturation is causing glitches as some of those protocols need to receive acknowledgement of receiving packets and if not will sent it again. I'm not up to date with any newer protocols, but I remember 10 years or so ago most video was UDP and required real time where a few packets lost did not make a huge difference and was better then having buffering waiting for any lost packets.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:07 pm

The underlying protocol is HTTPS (TLS 1.2) over TCP.

If your upload path is saturated to the point you are seeing web pages slow to load then Premium TV will likely be sluggish as well.

Nick

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pm

If your upload path is saturated to the point you are seeing web pages slow to load then Premium TV will likely be sluggish as well.

Nick
During times when my upload bandwidth is saturated, I'm getting recordings that have spots where the video will suddenly freeze, restart or skip ahead a few frames once you've reached that point in the video. These recordings also seem to have problems with seeking. That hardly ever happens in recordings made during other times when the upload bandwidth isn't full.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:52 am

Nick
During times when my upload bandwidth is saturated, I'm getting recordings that have spots where the video will suddenly freeze, restart or skip ahead a few frames once you've reached that point in the video. These recordings also seem to have problems with seeking. That hardly ever happens in recordings made during other times when the upload bandwidth isn't full.
What is your up/down speed?

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 am

Nick
Under normal circumstances about 15 Mbps down and 1.9 Mbps up. At this speed I don't encounter many issues, ecept for the occasional while screen pixelation that others have reported. It's if something like Google Drive is using all my upload speed that I start getting recordings with missing frames and seek problems.

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Under normal circumstances about 15 Mbps down and 1.9 Mbps up. At this speed I don't encounter many issues, ecept for the occasional while screen pixelation that others have reported. It's if something like Google Drive is using all my upload speed that I start getting recordings with missing frames and seek problems.
As Nick said if your upload speed is saturated then you are going to have issues with Premium TV - just the nature of TCP as confirmations of received packets use some of your upload pipe. To resolve the issue you will need to either limit Google Drive upload (for example), setup QoS on your uplink (via router/firewall) or boost that upload speed so you aren't saturating that when uploading to Google Drive. I doubt you will be able to upgrade to something fast enough to go beyond what Google offers for upload, so limiting Google Drive or setting up QoS is the way to go.

Also, this applies to web pages, etc. Anything that uses the TCP protocol is going to be negatively impacted if you are totally saturating the uplink (as will UDP, but in the way of total loss and not necessarily overall RTT).

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”