Network Regional Feeds

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
rrussis82

Re: Network Regional Feeds

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am

well that reply was mostly for James Kovach who wanted it added as a purchased add on. In most places, having internet and basic able is cheaper than just internet.

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Get a prime 6 when it comes out with a cable card, and subscribe to the most basic service from your cable company and use PTV for the rest. Then you have the local or regionals in your system you can DVR....
It is north of $50 a month for basic service and a cablecard rental. I am sure it could be done cheaper by SiliconDust with some creative negotiations.
offering those station is not smart for SD because a combination of their hardware and services can do that..
NOT for everyone.... hence this topic!

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm

well that reply was mostly for James Kovach who wanted it added as a purchased add on. In most places, having internet and basic able is cheaper than just internet.
What? Basic cable with internet is cheaper than internet only. In what world?

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Get a prime 6 when it comes out with a cable card, and subscribe to the most basic service from your cable company and use PTV for the rest. Then you have the local or regionals in your system you can DVR....
It is north of $50 a month for basic service and a cablecard rental. I am sure it could be done cheaper by SiliconDust with some creative negotiations.
offering those station is not smart for SD because a combination of their hardware and services can do that..
NOT for everyone.... hence this topic!
But at a cost to SD, doing that could reduce the sale of a 6 tuner prime. Why lose the sale of their hardware to provide 1 % of their customers those channels where most like 99% will have to pay for it or the 1 % that would subscribe wont meet the minimum to make that as a profitable add on package.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes! just about and Comcast package. If i cancel cable and went with just internet, my bill goes up

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm

You are sure? Why don't you demonstrate the way and do those negotiations on your dime, and let us all know the results. Anyone who thinks content carriage negotiations are quick, easy, or cheap is living at 33.8128° N, 117.9190° W. It took Apple many years (even with their billions of dollars of resources) to create the necessary arrangements, and they *still* have not launched.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

If i cancel cable and went with just internet, my bill goes up
With many providers there are all sorts of bundles that (at least for the first year) are discounted over the stand alone rate card pricing. It is sort of the "the first hit is free"/"the more you buy, the more you save" marketing strategy, to get you to like the phone, or the TV, or the security system, and then you will continue the service the following years (either because you like the service, or because you are not paying attention the following year after the prices go up after that first year discount). I am sure that strategy works for some of the people some of the time.

The good(?) news is that many C-level staff have publicly announced at industry events that they are rethinking the pricing of services, bundles, and the various new customer discounts. Be careful what you ask for, for you may get it.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm

If i cancel cable and went with just internet, my bill goes up
With many providers there are all sorts of bundles that (at least for the first year) are discounted over the stand alone rate card pricing. It is sort of the "the first hit is free"/"the more you buy, the more you save" marketing strategy, to get you to like the phone, or the TV, or the security system, and then you will continue the service the following years (either because you like the service, or because you are not paying attention the following year after the prices go up after that first year discount). I am sure that strategy works for some of the people some of the time.

The good(?) news is that many C-level staff have publicly announced at industry events that they are rethinking the pricing of services, bundles, and the various new customer discounts. Be careful what you ask for, for you may get it.
Yes I am bundled, and no, not within a year or even a second. I am not in a promotional price. i pay for just 150 mb/s internet and 120 channels. The price stays around the same if i drop to basic channels, but if i drop cable all together and just stick with the 150 mb/s internet, my bill goes up a few bucks. Comcast has a monopoly in my area. My options for internet are DSL or Comcast. Comcast offers a 60 MB/s internet only service that isn't much cheaper than my bundle. The only way to get it even cheaper is if i were a "new" customer and get the 1 year promotional price. I do not rent a modem, i use my own, and i rent a cablecard for free.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes! just about and Comcast package. If i cancel cable and went with just internet, my bill goes up
Not according to Comcast's website

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:02 pm

If you are not a comcast subscriber, you only see the promotional new customer 1 year price.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

60 MB/s internet only for non new customers is $75 a month. for the 150 MB/s is $90 for just internet no cable. my subscription now for 150mb/s with the 100+ channels bundled with showtime before taxes and fees is $87.50 a month and is way past the promotional price (at least 6 years past). Also includes the $2.50 discount using cable card and no other rental

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:23 pm

60 MB/s internet only for non new customers is $75 a month. for the 150 MB/s is $90 for just internet no cable. my subscription now for 150mb/s with the 100+ channels bundled with showtime before taxes and fees is $87.50 a month and is way past the promotional price (at least 6 years past). Also includes the $2.50 discount using cable card and no other rental
Irrelevant, because people can't get past prices. Comcast has internet only for new customers at $20 a month.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm

and ironically the price for 150 MB/s and basic 10 channels is also $90.

$20 a month for new customers? I do not see that, and ive been on xfinity website for 20 minutes with an address of a non xfinity customer pretending to shop for prices.. cheapest I see is $40 a month for first 12 months for 60 MB/s which climbs to $75 after promotion..

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm

and ironically the price for 150 MB/s and basic 10 channels is also $90.

$20 a month for new customers? I do not see that, and ive been on xfinity website for 20 minutes with an address of a non xfinity customer pretending to shop for prices.. cheapest I see is $40 a month for first 12 months for 60 MB/s which climbs to $75 after promotion..
Up to 25 Mbps
Download Speeds

PERFORMANCE STARTER INTERNET INCLUDES:
Limited time: save $15 with a FREE Self-Install KitSpeed good for up to 5 devices at the same time

Select to Compare
this offer in the compare drawer at the top of the page
19.99 dollars per month
$
.99/mo
for the first 12 months
Choose Contract LengthiContract Information
Check Availability

Pricing & Other Info
STARZ INCLUDED AND FREE SELF INSTALL KIT
INTERNET

Up to 60 Mbps
Download Speeds

TV

10+ locals
Channels

View Channels
INTERNET PLUS INCLUDES:
Limited time: save $15 with a FREE Self-Install KitSTARZ®Speed good for up to 5 devices at the same time

Select to Compare
this offer in the compare drawer at the top of the page
44.99 dollars per month
$
.99/mo
for the first 12 months
with 1-Year AgreementiContract Information

Check Availability
Pricing & Other Info
View De

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

This thread has gone too far off topic. Happy to talk about HDHomeRun related things.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”