Network Regional Feeds

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
pixelstuff

Re: Network Regional Feeds

Postby pixelstuff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Silicon Dust may have an uphill battle trying to get national feeds for NBC and the like. Local broadcasters tend to complain. SD would have to figure out a way to sell only to people without reception or something ... or else setup true local channels in all the areas (like Youtube and friends are doing).

And for people saying why compete with the hardware, well a recurring monthly revenue tops single purchase hardware almost every time.

wellthatsnotgood

Postby wellthatsnotgood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Here is what I am suggesting. Find one of each ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW affiliates in middle of nowhere Kentucky and one of each in middle of nowhere Oregon or wherever. Now you have an east and west feed for each Network so people can watch and DVR Prime Time TV shows like Big Bang Theory, 911, Ellen, Dr Phil, Arrow, Flash, etc. "Blackout" any sports broadcasts, commercials or anything else that some corporate lawyer might find offensive to broadcast to someone is not in that "market". Those "black-outages" could be used to do some advertising, another revenue stream.

The corporate lawyer will find any network content offensive and it will have to be blacked out. All you will be able to watch is the locally produced/non-network content from that station (like the news). If they want to show network content to people with affiliates in their area (even if the person can't get it OTA), they have to have an agreement with the affiliate in that area. That's why Youtube TV rolled out market by market as they got agreements with the local affiliates in that market.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Local broadcasters tend to complain.
FCC DMA rules and carriage compensation rules are effectively a government sanctioning of certain exclusivity and income. A number of the FCC rules regarding TV broadcasters no longer serve their original (sometimes aspirational) purposes, but you are not going to see them change any time soon. The existing system of broadcast TV is probably incurably broken, but throwing it away for some new system will results in a different kind of brokenness which most people are not going to want to experience either(*). Rock, meet hard place.

(*) Personally, I think I could be fine with a number of the proposed alternatives, but it would be traumatic to many, who want their cake, and to eat it too.

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:58 am

The corporate lawyer will find any network content offensive and it will have to be blacked out. All you will be able to watch is the locally produced/non-network content from that station (like the news). If they want to show network content to people with affiliates in their area (even if the person can't get it OTA), they have to have an agreement with the affiliate in that area. That's why Youtube TV rolled out market by market as they got agreements with the local affiliates in that market.
Sorry, but I have seen it happen. My current streaming TV provider did just what I mentioned above. They could not reach an agreement with one of the Network affiliates in my area so they gave us a "regional" feed of that Network. It was just no local/non-network content. We were able to watch and cloud DVR all the Network produced TV shows. So I have to think it is possible.
Silicon Dust may have an uphill battle trying to get national feeds for NBC and the like. Local broadcasters tend to complain. SD would have to figure out a way to sell only to people without reception or something ... or else setup true local channels in all the areas (like Youtube and friends are doing).
As I mentioned above, it has been done already. Also, I believe that "Youtube and friends" offer "true local channels" because they believe that is what people want. They want their local news and weather stations. They are looking for the "News at 5, 6, and 11". Offering all these local stations means MANY agreements/contracts to offer them with their service. Which = $$$$$$$. Also, with so many ways to "consume" new media, that getting it via TV is not as needed as it used to be.

But SiliconDust is in a unique position. They can already integrate local channels into their streaming/DVR ecosystem, as long as you can pick them up OTA. This is fine for some, not so much for others. Some will put up a simple antenna and get all the channels they want. Some may have to do a little extra and put up a mast on their roof. Then there are the others that getting OTA channels is a challenge, expensive and sometimes impossible. This is where SiliconDust could offer another service. Rather then go out and negotiate 100's of local channel agreements, negotiate 10 agreements and offer "regional feeds" to those who cannot get their OTA locals.

Honestly, I was looking for a response from Nick or Nate along the lines of.... we have looked into this already or this is something we can look into or not gonna happen. Not all these sub debates that have started.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:04 am

Buy a prime and get basic. Its doable. Those networks will want outrageous money for them which will bring the PTV price up, even if it's an add- on the price of the add on would be high. Get basic cable with a prime and everything you are requesting is available to you.

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am

And you have first hand knowledge of this? You have worked for a streaming TV service and negotiated these types of agreements?

An addon price might be less than what it would cost for basic cable because it is NOT a cheap option. If it was... then what is the point of streaming TV services? Most streaming services offer the same channels that comes with basic cable. In most cases, basic cable offers more channels. So why are people dropping basic cable and going to streaming TV services?

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:21 am

And you have first hand knowledge of this? You have worked for a streaming TV service and negotiated these types of agreements?

An addon price might be less than what it would cost for basic cable because it is NOT a cheap option. If it was... then what is the point of streaming TV services? Most streaming services offer the same channels that comes with basic cable. In most cases, basic cable offers more channels. So why are people dropping basic cable and going to streaming TV services?
Fees, slimer packages. Multiple streams, no contracts.

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am

Fees, slimer packages. Multiple streams, no contracts.
Fees= STB rental $ Cable Card $ & additional Broadcast fees ; Cox here in LV adds
an additional $8 for such a fee + asundry taxes; the downside of the streaming TV services is
that now one has to be worried about blowing thru a 1TB data cap most ISP's have on their
service; few of us can afford the unlimited bucket for internet coming into our home..the ISPs still
have the upper hand even if you cancel TV service; only the promise and widespread availability of
LTE 5G or Google fiber will end this cruel monopoly..IMHO...your mileage can and will vary of course..

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Buy a prime and get basic. Its doable. Those networks will want outrageous money for them which will bring the PTV price up, even if it's an add- on the price of the add on would be high. Get basic cable with a prime and everything you are requesting is available to you.
This

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Honestly, I was looking for a response from Nick or Nate along the lines of.... we have looked into this already or this is something we can look into or not gonna happen. Not all these sub debates that have started.
Oh, sorry, I could have sworn we've answered this question before, but maybe not.

At the moment, we are not working on getting national network feeds, because as others have noted, this is really intended for a person who already has those channels via their antenna. That doesn't mean we never will pursue those feeds, but probably not any time in the near future. The people we have who can negotiate these things are already crazy swamped with existing discussions and goals.

I'd love to speculate on what kind of inducements we'd need to interest the national networks in getting a feed like that, but I genuinely have no idea. Clearly, we just need as much money as Google has lying around, and everything should get much easier. :)

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:38 am

Yes, this situation is as old as time itself - at least right from the time Big Cable started thinking up ways to separate Citizens from their money with the help of Government.

Those with enough $$$ have many options. Those without do something else.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:07 am

Sorry, but I have seen it happen. My current streaming TV provider did just what I mentioned above. They could not reach an agreement with one of the Network affiliates in my area so they gave us a "regional" feed of that Network. It was just no local/non-network content. We were able to watch and cloud DVR all the Network produced TV shows. So I have to think it is possible.
Just curious, to what provider are you referring? I don't mean to violate forum rules by discussing other providers (and apparently I am not allowed to send private messages here), so a simple answer/clue will suffice.

shspvr

Postby shspvr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:37 am

Unfortunately for me, getting local OTA channels is quite a challenge and not one that I am willing to accept at this point. Has SiliconDust looked into providing regional feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW? My interest is more in the DVR freedom than anything. But with not being able to pull in local networks OTA, it keeps me from switching to the service.
So just wondering why is so challenge ?.
For what it's worth give it up that not going to happing because all local networks OTA will whine and cry do you recall Aereo TV Steaming service.
[removed by moderator]

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”