Network Regional Feeds

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
James Kovach

Network Regional Feeds

Postby James Kovach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 am

Unfortunately for me, getting local OTA channels is quite a challenge and not one that I am willing to accept at this point. Has SiliconDust looked into providing regional feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW? My interest is more in the DVR freedom than anything. But with not being able to pull in local networks OTA, it keeps me from switching to the service.

mike3

Re: Network Regional Feeds

Postby mike3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 am

No, they have no intentions on bringing local channels.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 am

That just wouldn’t make good business sense for a company whose main focus is on Over The Air broadcast home distribution, (At this point, they do not even sell a CableCard tuner, although they are promoting a 6 tuner CableCard tuner available in 2019).

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I'd like to hear from someone actually working for SiliconDust.

IMO, they seemed to have shifted their "focus" to providing unparalleled DVR service more than network distributed OTA TV.

Providing Regional Network TV would not hurt their business, it will expand it. Someone like myself is reluctant to subscribe to their streaming service because it does not offer Network stations that I cannot get OTA. Most of the TV shows that we would want to DVR are on Network TV. I am saying provide "local channels". They could offer an eastern time zone feed and a western time zone feed. Doesnt matter what city it originates in. It has been done by other streaming services in the past.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm

They already responded, it's not happening

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:57 pm

You are correct, they have responded to the question of "will you offer local channels?". That is NOT what I am asking them.

I am asking if they have considered offering REGIONAL Network TV feeds. Not LOCAL stations.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi,

By regional feeds are you revering to regions sports?

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm

That is what I thought of at first on the more recent post but then reread the original post and abc, cbs, fox, nbc were mentioned.

I think what OP is looking for is similar to satellite service to white areas but that would go against 99% of your current customer base (don't know if the rule still exists but at one time one also needed to be not subscribed to cable fo 90 days before such service could even be offered).

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:35 pm

James,

what would be their incentive? They are a hardware vendor that sells great OTA devices. This would add an increase the original 35/month subscription as regional feeds of ABC, NBC, etc are not free.

wellthatsnotgood

Postby wellthatsnotgood » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:11 pm

While I live in an area that's difficult to get OTA signal as well, I support SD's decision to not provide those. It just bumps up the cost for all the people that can get OTA. Rather, I'd like to see a DVR platform that worked with ****** and/or LocalBTV as well as HDHR Premium TV (I understand if SD wouldn't want to make their DVR service support it, but would be nice if a 3rd party DVR service could support it).

James Kovach

Postby James Kovach » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 am

Hi,

By regional feeds are you revering to regions sports?

Nick
Nick, no.... nothing to do with sports.

Here is what I am suggesting. Find one of each ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW affiliates in middle of nowhere Kentucky and one of each in middle of nowhere Oregon or wherever. Now you have an east and west feed for each Network so people can watch and DVR Prime Time TV shows like Big Bang Theory, 911, Ellen, Dr Phil, Arrow, Flash, etc. "Blackout" any sports broadcasts, commercials or anything else that some corporate lawyer might find offensive to broadcast to someone is not in that "market". Those "black-outages" could be used to do some advertising, another revenue stream.

Offer this as an addon package, not part of the base package so those that do not need access to the streams won't be offended by paying for something they don't need. Even those that can get local OTA stations might want it as it might be a more "reliable" feed for those channels to DVR popular Network TV Shows.

IMO, it seems SiliconDust is a better DVR platform more than anything as there is no other service out there that gives you the freedom to use your recordings as you want. The ability to push OTA TV around your house is nice, but not what is attractive about your services, again, IMO.

What keeps me from jumping into your product is that I personally will not be able DVR the majority of what I would want to use the service for. Additionally, I would have to pay for another service that offers those Networks so we can watch the TV shows we want. So my cost would be $35 a month plus on average $40.

Just a suggestion for something to consider.

Also, if this does come to fruition, I will gladly invoice you for the consulting time. :lol:

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 am

This has already been suggested, begged for, then shot down in flames.

Where I live a network signal has never entered - ever. The only network options are un-affordable (big cable has us right where they want us - and they aim to keep us here). There is a serious, gaping hole in programming, that many users would gladly pay extra for (within reason), but SD isn't listening.

Here's a message for Big Cable. I still get EVERYTHING I want to watch - "one way or another" and you get NOTHING. I am willing to help your poor executives buy more luxury yachettes - but NoooOOOOOooooOOOooo!

So be it.

;)
Last edited by ACraigo on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:50 am

Get a prime 6 when it comes out with a cable card, and subscribe to the most basic service from your cable company and use PTV for the rest. Then you have the local or regionals in your system you can DVR.... offering those station is not smart for SD because a combination of their hardware and services can do that..

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 am

[removed by moderator]

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am

Get a prime 6 when it comes out with a cable card, and subscribe to the most basic service from your cable company and use PTV for the rest. Then you have the local or regionals in your system you can DVR.... offering those station is not smart for SD because a combination of their hardware and services can do that..
Let's see if I'm allowed to say:
I can't afford the 'Pay TV' option.
There are no regionals or locals broadcasting into this ravine.
I have super internet - running in on the same poles that bring in the sunshine.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”