Best streaming hardware?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
emveepee

Re: Best streaming hardware?

Postby emveepee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Yep they fixed hardware decoding MPEG2 with the latest update.
MPEG2 was ok in the last version for me. I upgraded to 6.2.5.8 today and no change since interlaced h264 from the Extend is still bad.

Martin
Last edited by emveepee on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

It was ok in the last version for me. I upgraded to 6.2.5.8 today and no change since interlaced h264 from the Extend is still bad.

Martin
Must be something in the way the extend is recording as all my H264 Comcast channels all play fine maybe you should have SiliconDust look at this.

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:27 pm

It was ok in the last version for me. I upgraded to 6.2.5.8 today and no change since interlaced h264 from the Extend is still bad.

Martin
Must be something in the way the extend is recording as all my H264 Comcast channels all play fine maybe you should have SiliconDust look at this.
Comcast doesn't have any interlaced h264 channels. They deinterlace all the channels (looks like they're using a bob equivalent) and change the framerate on all channels to 59.94. They do still have full-quality network channels, which include MPEG2 1080i like NBC and CBS.

I think the only time someone would deal with interlaced h264 is when they have an HDHR transcoding interlaced MPEG2 to h264. I don't know of any cable company offering interlaced h264, but I obviously couldn't test them all.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Martin
Comcast doesn't have any interlaced h264 channels. They deinterlace all the channels (looks like they're using a bob equivalent) and change the framerate on all channels to 59.94. They do still have full-quality network channels, which include MPEG2 1080i like NBC and CBS.

I think the only time someone would deal with interlaced h264 is when they have an HDHR transcoding interlaced MPEG2 to h264. I don't know of any cable company offering interlaced h264, but I obviously couldn't test them all.
Why can't the Extend do de-interlacing during the transcode ?

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't remember if there's a reason given. It does deinterlace if you choose mobile quality. If you want full quality, it passes the video through with interlacing intact but transcodes to h264.

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Here in Canada our choices for recording cable are limited (why I want Premium TV) since we don't have Cablecard. My HDPVR also records interlaced 1080i but I have choosen to record everything as 720p

Interlaced h264 is very common in other countries.
I did request that feature several years ago but Silicon Dust told me it wasn't possible, old posts here don't stay around long.

Martin

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Interlaced h264 is very common in other countries.
Just for my own knowledge (and to avoid being US-centric), which countries have providers offering interlaced h264 content, and which providers are those? A quick web search was not fruitful.

tpm

Postby tpm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Amazon's FireOS is based on a heavily patched/modified version of Android 5.0. For comparison, the current release of Android (Pie) is 9.0. Also, FireOS is based on Android; Android TV is slightly different. Comparing Android and Fire devices is the same as equating Safari with Chrome: they share a common point in the past, but they've diverged quite a bit to reach their current states.
You're totally right about this, of course, but... for purposes of the basic apps, like HDHomeRun, Plex. Netflix, etc, they are still functionally the same to the end user. They both use the Android TV versions of those apps. At least, whenever I compare my Shield to my FireTV, there are no obvious differences, other than the occasional codec support.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot one other very important difference: Google's services like Music and Movies are unavailable on Fire TV despite it being based on Android. That's an important omission. With Amazon bringing their services to Android right now, I hold out hope that the petty little fight between Google and Amazon may be thawing, and this may change eventually.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Amazon's FireOS is based on a heavily patched/modified version of Android 5.0. For comparison, the current release of Android (Pie) is 9.0. Also, FireOS is based on Android; Android TV is slightly different. Comparing Android and Fire devices is the same as equating Safari with Chrome: they share a common point in the past, but they've diverged quite a bit to reach their current states.
You're totally right about this, of course, but... for purposes of the basic apps, like HDHomeRun, Plex. Netflix, etc, they are still functionally the same to the end user. They both use the Android TV versions of those apps. At least, whenever I compare my Shield to my FireTV, there are no obvious differences, other than the occasional codec support.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot one other very important difference: Google's services like Music and Movies are unavailable on Fire TV despite it being based on Android. That's an important omission. With Amazon bringing their services to Android right now, I hold out hope that the petty little fight between Google and Amazon may be thawing, and this may change eventually.
Also DirecTV Now (I hear) isn't available on Android TV, despite the fact that they have Android and Fire TV players plus their own beta streaming box which is also based on Android. Perhaps AT&T is trying to be like Amazon here and withhold the app from Android TV as a misguided competition strategy.

Presumably you wouldn't need something like DirecTV Now if SiliconDust can get their channels fixed, but if you are trying to keep the options open then apparently DirecTV falls short on the Android TV platforms.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Also DirecTV Now (I hear) isn't available on Android TV
True when I lasted look (admittedly many many months ago when a client was interested in DirecTV now).
despite the fact that they have Android and Fire TV players plus their own beta streaming box which is also based on Android. Perhaps AT&T is trying to be like Amazon here and withhold the app from Android TV as a misguided competition strategy.
And possibly they are trying to constrain their support costs to not further increase their losses(*). As many here have learned, not all "Android TV" devices (let alone devices based on Android) are equal (and then there are the number of boxes advertised as an "Android TV box" on the market which are not actually true "Android TV" devices, but are basically running the phone/tablet variant with an HDMI output). If I was responsible for the DirecTV Android TV client I would likely first focus development/support on specific devices, not the general name (i.e. perhaps support the shield and Sony TV's?).

(*) It is generally agreed that (especially at the entry prices) the major OTT providers are currently trading off losses for market share. The deep pocketed can continue losing money for some time, but this is likely to change moving forward.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”