8 Missing Channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Andrroid

Re: 8 Missing Channels

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

You have the wrong idea of a-la-carte. It would still be under a single cable distributor like Dish or hopefully Silicon Dust, but instead of tiers with 30 or 60 or 90 channels the selection would be more fine grained. Still a single bill, but the user could choose which channels they want, either individually or based on the parent studio group, like Discovery group or NBC Universal group, or whatever.
And such a thing will never work/be feasible. Channels are not created equally. Unfortunately, some channels will never get critical mass and will eventually shut down. But the bottom line needs to stay the same/go up so now the per channel cost for the rest will go up.

Anyone who has ever eaten at an a la carte restaurant knows two things: its not cheap and the selection is not huge. The same would hold true for cable tv.
Spectrum has a 10 channel a la carte

10 channels. Exactly my point

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Anyone who has ever eaten at an a la carte restaurant knows two things: its not cheap and the selection is not huge. The same would hold true for cable tv.
But obviously there are enough people who like a la carte restaurants to keep some of them in business.
Sure, there are some a la carte restaurants.

But is it the norm? Do people really see an industry as massive as the cable industry switching to such a model?

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm

But obviously there are enough people who like a la carte restaurants to keep some of them in business.

But is it the norm? Do people really see an industry as massive as the cable industry switching to such a model?
Every single restaurant I go to lets you order just what you want and nothing more. Basically I don't know of a single restaurant that I wouldn't consider to be a-la-carte. What the heck are you guys talking about with a-la-carte restaurants costing more?

I think this line of reasoning doesn't hold any weight.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Every single restaurant I go to lets you order just what you want and nothing more. Basically I don't know of a single restaurant that I wouldn't consider to be a-la-carte. What the heck are you guys talking about with a-la-carte restaurants costing more?

Are you joking or do you really not know what I'm talking about? I'm talking about a proper, a la carte steakhouse, for instance. Where you order a steak thats $50-60. And then a side thats $20-30. And maybe another side thats $20-30. That is "a la carte" dining. I.e. your "meal" doesn't come with sides/additions. Each piece of food is a separate order.

The point is that this usually results in 1. the cost of the meal being much higher and 2. the options on the menu being much more limited.

If cable were to go to "a la carte" like people seem to think they want, it would be more expensive and many channels would disappear. What would ultimately end up happening is that as the providers drop channels, the individual prices rise to cover down for the lost revenue and we're back to square one, except with less channels.
Last edited by Andrroid on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

The comparison is silly.

You want a hamburger. There is only one back end supplier of hamburgers and all restaurants that carry hamburgers have to buy from that same source. Restaurants are all given the same contract - hamburgers can only be sold if they are sold together with a drink, fries, and desert.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:25 pm

The comparison is silly.

You want a hamburger. There is only one back end supplier of hamburgers and all restaurants that carry hamburgers have to buy from that same source. Restaurants are all given the same contract - hamburgers can only be sold if they are sold together with a drink, fries, and desert.
Right because a hamburger stand is the same as an a la carte restaurant :roll:

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:32 pm

How about this

Go to McDonalds. Would it be cheaper to order a pre-defined meal or to order each item from a pre-defined meal separately?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:35 pm

You guys are making me hungry... and I just had lunch.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:37 pm

How it works...

We go to content company X and say we want to distribute some or all of their channels and do so on an À la carte basis.

They say no.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 pm

How it works...

We go to content company X and say we want to distribute some or all of their channels and do so on an À la carte basis.

They say no.
Is there anyway to put a thumbs up button on these forums?

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

How it works...

They say no.
If you went to Universal (NBC, USA, Syfy, etc) and asked to distribute their collection of channels, do they really come back with a requirement that you have to bundle their group with CBS, Disney, and Fox channel groups or else you can't distribute us at all.

Are you saying Universal, Disney, Fox, or others won't let you sell just their own channel lineup exclusively, without bundling their competition into the pack?

That seems collusive at best and almost like an antitrust violation at worst, akin to how Microsoft required PC makers to sell a Windows license with every PC sold (to get a special rate) regardless of whether the end user wanted Windows on it.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Are you joking or do you really not know what I'm talking about? I'm talking about a proper, a la carte steakhouse, for instance. Where you order a steak thats $50-60. And then a side thats $20-30. And maybe another side thats $20-30. That is "a la carte" dining. I.e. your "meal" doesn't come with sides/additions. Each piece of food is a separate order.

The point is that this usually results in 1. the cost of the meal being much higher and 2. the options on the menu being much more limited.

If cable were to go to "a la carte" like people seem to think they want, it would be more expensive and many channels would disappear. What would ultimately end up happening is that as the providers drop channels, the individual prices rise to cover down for the lost revenue and we're back to square one, except with less channels.
Considering that every single restaurant I've been to allows you to order just a steak or just a side if you want, I would propose that an a-la-carte restaurant like you are describing is expensive not because of being a-la-carte, but because they are catering to the top 1% of the population who want ultra premium ingredients and a premium ambiance. Not because selling the items separately raises the overall cost of things.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Right because a hamburger stand is the same as an a la carte restaurant :roll:
It was an analogy. Hamburgers aren't sold that way and everybody knows it. I'm trying hard not to venture into personal insult territory, but I have to ask: Are you being purposely obtuse?
How it works...

They say no.
The problem Nick, is you're trying to reason with people who are arguing from a position of how they'd like things to be, rather than how they really are.

alexander7567

Postby alexander7567 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Silly question that I'm ure has already been though if, but would it be possible to get a Backup upstream provider for the broken channels? Such as the one ***** uses? Possibly even do talks with ***** to maybe use them as an upstream provider? I'm sure these has been thought of, but just a suggestion.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm trying hard not to venture into personal insult territory, but I have to ask: Are you being purposely obtuse?
I see you went ahead and powered right through though, thus indicating to me you don't actually want to have a reasonable conversation, so I'll ignore you from here forward.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”