8 Missing Channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
3rob3

Re: 8 Missing Channels

Postby 3rob3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 am

This is really disappointing. I started my trial the day before the channels disappeared. Just got charged full price for the next month (guessing the credit will come some time later). I really want the service to work, but am thinking the silence on updates is telling. This will be my last month if Discovery channels don't return.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am

This is really disappointing. I started my trial the day before the channels disappeared. Just got charged full price for the next month (guessing the credit will come some time later). I really want the service to work, but am thinking the silence on updates is telling. This will be my last month if Discovery channels don't return.
Just curious. What more update do you need other than their provider is negotiating with the discovery group and will update when more information is available. I'm pretty sure their provider cannot discuss any negotiations with Discovery to SD. SD has provided all the updates we can possible get at this point until this is solved and no one at this point except Omniverse and Discover Group could possible know when that could be.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am

Here is my take on Discovery and other channels gone. If we (as customers, not saying me personally) keep threatening to cancel PTV, Discovery wins. What you are essentially saying is the service is worth paying more for to keep these channels. That is the reasons why this happen on all providers, the channels demands more money and pulls the channels from lineups. When customers get angry at the provider, the channels say see? they want you to pay more for our channel! The providers cave and the customer suffers by paying more for the services. We should be angry with Discover Group and not SD or Omniverse.

3rob3

Postby 3rob3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am

Just curious. What more update do you need other than their provider is negotiating with the discovery group and will update when more information is available. I'm pretty sure their provider cannot discuss any negotiations with Discovery to SD. SD has provided all the updates we can possible get at this point until this is solved and no one at this point except Omniverse and Discover Group could possible know when that could be.
I didn't say anything about needing more updates from SD. You are right, they have nothing to say at this point, which is why it is disappointing.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 am

Here is my take on Discovery and other channels gone. If we (as customers, not saying me personally) keep threatening to cancel PTV, Discovery wins. What you are essentially saying is the service is worth paying more for to keep these channels. That is the reasons why this happen on all providers, the channels demands more money and pulls the channels from lineups. When customers get angry at the provider, the channels say see? they want you to pay more for our channel! The providers cave and the customer suffers by paying more for the services
That's why a-la-carte channel packages is the only real solution. If say, Hallmark demands more because the Hallmark fans threaten to cancel, and Discovery demands more because a different set of Discovery fans threaten to cancel, or AMC, Syfy, whoever, then you end up with every channel demanding more because they each have their own group of fans. People who aren't fans of Hallmark are still having to pay more because Hallmark threatens another segment of the subscriber base.

I keep seeing arguments that breaking up the channels into discrete studios would increase the costs since you aren't subsidising channels anymore, but I'm having doubts on that theory. If a group of channels like the Discovery group charges too much, then people will just stop paying for that group. Discovery, on it's own, will have to strike the right balance that customers are willing to pay for. There would be no way for Discovery to obfuscate their price hikes inside the bundle.

For customers who actually want 120+ channels from DirecTV or other providers they may end up paying more, but at the very least the customer has more leverage to stop paying for a channel that over values itself.

Having said all of that, I don't think Discovery is demanding more money here. This is more likely an issue where Hallmark and Discovery are afraid people will record their shows on an unencrypted device and share the files with the rest of the world. Other DVRs from Dish, DirecTV, and CableCard systems can be encrypted to make copies a little harder.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

Here is my take on Discovery and other channels gone. If we (as customers, not saying me personally) keep threatening to cancel PTV, Discovery wins. What you are essentially saying is the service is worth paying more for to keep these channels. That is the reasons why this happen on all providers, the channels demands more money and pulls the channels from lineups. When customers get angry at the provider, the channels say see? they want you to pay more for our channel! The providers cave and the customer suffers by paying more for the services. We should be angry with Discover Group and not SD or Omniverse.
Obviously the Omniverse contracts are on very shaky grounds, this will go beyond Discovery

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 am

Dupe
Last edited by Sammy2 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 am

Decided to go with a particular color service for a month. Hopefully we can get the PQ and channels sorted soon. Selling my 16 TB pr2100 on eBay if anyone is interested.
That's too bad.
Still have a My cloud, but it can't transcode. Deciding if I want to keep my duo and split the Antenna.
How much?

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am

That's too bad.
Still have a My cloud, but it can't transcode. Deciding if I want to keep my duo and split the Antenna.
How much?
I think the last bid was $355

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:22 am

Obviously the Omniverse contracts are on very shaky grounds, this will go beyond Discovery
But these disputes do happen with larger cable companies too!
Here is my take on Discovery and other channels gone. If we (as customers, not saying me personally) keep threatening to cancel PTV, Discovery wins. What you are essentially saying is the service is worth paying more for to keep these channels. That is the reasons why this happen on all providers, the channels demands more money and pulls the channels from lineups. When customers get angry at the provider, the channels say see? they want you to pay more for our channel! The providers cave and the customer suffers by paying more for the services
That's why a-la-carte channel packages is the only real solution. If say, Hallmark demands more because the Hallmark fans threaten to cancel, and Discovery demands more because a different set of Discovery fans threaten to cancel, or AMC, Syfy, whoever, then you end up with every channel demanding more because they each have their own group of fans. People who aren't fans of Hallmark are still having to pay more because Hallmark threatens another segment of the subscriber base.

I keep seeing arguments that breaking up the channels into discrete studios would increase the costs since you aren't subsidising channels anymore, but I'm having doubts on that theory. If a group of channels like the Discovery group charges too much, then people will just stop paying for that group. Discovery, on it's own, will have to strike the right balance that customers are willing to pay for. There would be no way for Discovery to obfuscate their price hikes inside the bundle.

For customers who actually want 120+ channels from DirecTV or other providers they may end up paying more, but at the very least the customer has more leverage to stop paying for a channel that over values itself.

Having said all of that, I don't think Discovery is demanding more money here. This is more likely an issue where Hallmark and Discovery are afraid people will record their shows on an unencrypted device and share the files with the rest of the world. Other DVRs from Dish, DirecTV, and CableCard systems can be encrypted to make copies a little harder.

A-la-Carte will not work, people want all their content in one app. and having 15 subscriptions to them cost more than these service cost. I do not think it is a recording issue, I have those channels non DRM using my prime device and have no problem recording them and viewing on Plex. Discover Group is a new company formed this year where these channels were previously owned by Scripps. I definetly believe it is a pay issue. Discover probably said the contract you had was with Scripps, not us so it is void, pay us this much per subscriber to keep these channels or we will pull them. This was probably ongoing since June and Omniverse kept saying no until finally POOF Gone.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 am

But these disputes do happen with larger cable companies too!

A-la-Carte will not work, people want all their content in one app. and having 15 subscriptions to them cost more than these service cost. I do not think it is a recording issue, I have those channels non DRM using my prime device and have no problem recording them and viewing on Plex. Discover Group is a new company formed this year where these channels were previously owned by Scripps. I definetly believe it is a pay issue. Discover probably said the contract you had was with Scripps, not us so it is void, pay us this much per subscriber to keep these channels or we will pull them. This was probably ongoing since June and Omniverse kept saying no until finally POOF Gone.
You have the wrong idea of a-la-carte. It would still be under a single cable distributor like Dish or hopefully Silicon Dust, but instead of tiers with 30 or 60 or 90 channels the selection would be more fine grained. Still a single bill, but the user could choose which channels they want, either individually or based on the parent studio group, like Discovery group or NBC Universal group, or whatever. It would add more transparency to how each studio is trying to jack up their prices. If CBS is trying to charge double what NBC/Universal is charging, I can decide whether or not their package is worth the price hike instead of having to settle for all or nothing.

If Discovery group decided to raise their prices, then SD or Omniverse would just increase that line item on the bill. The end customer would see next month their bill went up because the Discovery package increased and then the customer could decide if they wanted to keep paying for just that group.
Last edited by pixelstuff on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 am

When I used the Prime, these channels were copy freely so that could happen with the Prime already.

Nothing on any of these channels needs to be watched live and they are available cheaply elsewhere not to be mentioned here.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am

You have the wrong idea of a-la-carte. It would still be under a single cable distributor like Dish or hopefully Silicon Dust, but instead of tiers with 30 or 60 or 90 channels the selection would be more fine grained. Still a single bill, but the user could choose which channels they want, either individually or based on the parent studio group, like Discovery group or NBC Universal group, or whatever.
And such a thing will never work/be feasible. Channels are not created equally. Unfortunately, some channels will never get critical mass and will eventually shut down. But the bottom line needs to stay the same/go up so now the per channel cost for the rest will go up.

Anyone who has ever eaten at an a la carte restaurant knows two things: its not cheap and the selection is not huge. The same would hold true for cable tv.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Anyone who has ever eaten at an a la carte restaurant knows two things: its not cheap and the selection is not huge. The same would hold true for cable tv.
But obviously there are enough people who like a la carte restaurants to keep some of them in business.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

You have the wrong idea of a-la-carte. It would still be under a single cable distributor like Dish or hopefully Silicon Dust, but instead of tiers with 30 or 60 or 90 channels the selection would be more fine grained. Still a single bill, but the user could choose which channels they want, either individually or based on the parent studio group, like Discovery group or NBC Universal group, or whatever.
And such a thing will never work/be feasible. Channels are not created equally. Unfortunately, some channels will never get critical mass and will eventually shut down. But the bottom line needs to stay the same/go up so now the per channel cost for the rest will go up.

Spectrum has a 10 channel a la carte

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”