8 Missing Channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
spencer777

Re: 8 Missing Channels

Postby spencer777 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Why not? My experiences with ***** have been very different than with HDP lately. Channel uptime has been 100%, they keep adding channels, and the picture quality is better than HDP.

HDP with the channels, reliability, and picture quality of ***** would be a "shut-up-and-take-my-money" proposition for me.
Because it's nothing I watch No Sports, no news No Fox, No Nbc universal besides it's part owned by Discovery, so not happening.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Why not? My experiences with ***** have been very different than with HDP lately. Channel uptime has been 100%, they keep adding channels, and the picture quality is better than HDP.

HDP with the channels, reliability, and picture quality of ***** would be a "shut-up-and-take-my-money" proposition for me.
Because it's nothing I watch No Sports, no news No Fox, No Nbc universal besides it's part owned by Discovery, so not happening.
Why not have more than one source. ***** and Omniverse. Strike deal with ***** and then negotiate a lower price with Omniverse for the remaining channels they provide minus the duplicates that are on *****. I'm saying all of Philos channels at the 16 dollar mark, then negotiate for $19 from Omniverse just these channels: TruTv, QVC, TNT, TBS, Cartoon network, HLN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN News, Bravo, FX, NatGeo, TWC, SyFy, Freeform, CNBC, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, USA, E!, Disney, CSPAN, TCM. Maybe also strike a deal to allow PlutoTV channels to stream in HDHomerun APP.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:16 pm

I used to subscribe to the newpaper. When I didn't renew they kept delivering for another year and tried to get me to pay up. I refused to pay for something I didn't renew. Is that theft?

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 pm

A deal with ***** would be nice.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 pm

…...
Last edited by NYPlayer on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Back to what I was saying, I bet if SD went to ***** and said we are interested in just your live feed as a source, no cloud DVR or on demand content, they could strike a decent deal. Then since Omni is in breach which could give SD a leg up in negotiating say we only want these channels from you for this price. Then SD could come out with an even more awesome channel package than they already had. They would pick up the current 8 missing channels from ***** as well as BBC America, DIY, SCI, Hallmark drama, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, Lifetime movies, Nick Jr, Teen Nick, and a few other lesser channels. Also keep the other duplicates from ***** source instead of Omnis source.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:22 pm

I understand the concern. No, not full on replacement of Omniverse with ***** - that wouldn't work for me either (ESPN MNF!). But I do like some of *****'s extra channels that HDP hasn't had; BBC America, Science, etc. If nothing else it's a perfect “backup" during the HDP outage for Disc & Hallmark.

Nevertheless, direct business with another OTT provider like ***** seems unlikely. SD is the competition, why help them? But I have no idea what options are available to SD. I was thinking of other companies like Omniverse who operate as a middle-tier provider but with more reliability, quality, and/or more diverse content. I had never heard of Omniverse prior to SD and I've yet to read about or experience anything especially flattering about the company. I have no idea if there are other players in that market. Thus my question.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

[removed by moderator - this forum is for HDHomeRun products]

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm

I understand the concern. No, not full on replacement of Omniverse with ***** - that wouldn't work for me either (ESPN MNF!). But I do like some of *****'s extra channels that HDP hasn't had; BBC America, Science, etc. If nothing else it's a perfect “backup" during the HDP outage for Disc & Hallmark.

Nevertheless, direct business with another OTT provider like ***** seems unlikely. SD is the competition, why help them? But I have no idea what options are available to SD. I was thinking of other companies like Omniverse who operate as a middle-tier provider but with more reliability, quality, and/or more diverse content. I had never heard of Omniverse prior to SD and I've yet to read about or experience anything especially flattering about the company. I have no idea if there are other players in that market. Thus my question.
Well technically PTV subscribers would be customers of ***** if that were to happen, but ***** would make out, only live feed, no cloud or on demand content. It would cut *****'s cost having those extra customers without the need to have larger servers for cloud dvr and on demand content. Just saying, I think it would be great to have them as a second distributor if they were open to that. ***** would still make the dough so saying they are competition doesn't hold up.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:55 am

[removed by moderator - this forum is for HDHomeRun products]
I'll be doing something similiar some time next week when my sub runs out.

No permanent recordings anymore but...I never had issues like the ones I've had with SD in the 3 years I used *****.

Gewithers

Postby Gewithers » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for the info. I can not really say noticed the channels were missing. I only noticed that the number of channels had dropped, but I could not figure out what was missing.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:03 am

Just realized we broke forum rules and were edited. No more mention of the philosophers and their slingshots. I still stand by my suggestion though and would love to hear if it's even something the team can look into

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:26 am

BTW - the licensing deals done by other OTT providers tend not to allow content to be used by third party apps (which is what the HDHomeRun app would be from their point of view).

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:51 am

Bummer. It's too bad you couldn't add content in the SD environment like you can with Androids Live Channels or the FireTV Live Channel Guide is starting to add. It would be great having the SD Software be the central APP that can view the other content :-( Even if it were just Pluto TV. Or even allow Live Channels and FireTV Guide to access the SD DVR software and record from those APPS directly to SD DVR

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm

BTW - the licensing deals done by other OTT providers tend not to allow content to be used by third party apps (which is what the HDHomeRun app would be from their point of view).
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Your board, your rules, my mistake. But wow that we can’t even mention the competition now. Good to know that’s how it’s going to be.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”