8 Missing Channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Andrroid

Re: 8 Missing Channels

Postby Andrroid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Considering that every single restaurant I've been to allows you to order just a steak or just a side if you want, I would propose that an a-la-carte restaurant like you are describing is expensive not because of being a-la-carte, but because they are catering to the top 1% of the population who want ultra premium ingredients and a premium ambiance. Not because selling the items separately raises the overall cost of things.
Are you really trying to tell me that buying items separately (a la carte) at a restaurant will be cheaper than ordering an equivalent meal that bundles those items together?

Again, I suggest you look to fast food if you're against the fine dining comparison. Is it cheaper to choose one of the number meals or order each item individually?

That's the analogy. Bundling is cheaper than selling separately.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Silly question
Agreed.
but would it be possible to get a Backup upstream provider
Of course. Are you willing to (say) double the current amount for the next month for up to a year? There is no content without an exchange of monies. And a different provider will expect to be paid their U&C rates for that content, typically with a longer term contract. I have little doubt SD has done a quick survey of alternatives, but they are not going to be willing to be tied down until it is clear what happens next with the O company and their upstream content provider contracts. The lawyers will eventually come to some agreements on rebates/refunds for lack of service, but one cannot presume that it will be the number you want it to be. Typically it never is what you think you are owed, but it is the number you can sort of live with, even with the bad taste in your mouth from the experience.

The best of the bad alternatives is likely for SD to refund you for not being able to deliver service as contracted for this month, and (perhaps) lower the monthly fee for future months with an abbreviated offering at this time if they do not have a clear expectation of a date for resolution(*). But after the existing month, you should not renew if the service at the price offered is not to your liking (don't buy futures/promises). Once the contract issues are resolved, make a new decision as to whether to newly subscribe. That is as much true for the Premium TV service as for any other subscription service (cancel your cable/satellite/ISP/Moble contract if the price is higher than the value it offers you today).

(*) I happen think that Dish, and Charter, and .... should also lower their monthly rate during contract blackouts. In some cases they will, if asked, offer a discount. It should happen automatically.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Considering that every single restaurant I've been to allows you to order just a steak or just a side if you want, I would propose that an a-la-carte restaurant like you are describing is expensive not because of being a-la-carte, but because they are catering to the top 1% of the population who want ultra premium ingredients and a premium ambiance. Not because selling the items separately raises the overall cost of things.
Are you really trying to tell me that buying items separately (a la carte) at a restaurant will be cheaper than ordering an equivalent meal that bundles those items together?

Again, I suggest you look to fast food if you're against the fine dining comparison. Is it cheaper to choose one of the number meals or order each item individually?

That's the analogy. Bundling is cheaper than selling separately.
Agreed. That analogy holds. Bundling is cheaper than selling separately.

But the counter point is that practically all restaurants, if not 100% of them, will allow a-la-carte purchasing for most of their items. So I can order a custom order of steak with cauliflower and while it's more expensive than a bundle it's cheaper than ordering two bundles of steak with potatoes and chicken with cauliflower to get the two items I want.

Any modern cable service provider should be able to offer the same as an alternative option even if the bundle is cheaper per channel.

The only reasons I can think of for the major studios to prevent cable distributors from a-la-carte is they know if unbundling ever happens then their secret contract pricing might get exposed (via deductive reasoning). So if it's not collusion, then it's like a secret unwritten agreement not to break ranks and actually compete for subscribers.

xnappo

Postby xnappo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Sigh. And I was just about to test WAF of switching from *****. No HGTV, no deal.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:10 am

Why is [removed by moderator] censored here? lol

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

Why is [redacted] censored here? lol
As has been explained by support staff on numerous occasions: This is meant to be a technical support forum for Silicon Dust products and services.

Likewise, as has been demonstrated by support staff on numerous occasions: They take a dim view of attempts to get around site policy via not-so-subtle word mangling.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 am

As has been explained by support staff on numerous occasions: This is meant to be a technical support forum for Silicon Dust products and services.

Likewise, as has been demonstrated by support staff on numerous occasions: They take a dim view of attempts to get around site policy via not-so-subtle word mangling.
Actually Iing, hilo and Atb Watch are great for SD since they don't provide locals.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

Actually [redacted] are great for SD since they don't provide locals.
They are not SD products + They arguably compete with an SD product + They don't utilize SD products = Prohibited topics.

Not seeing how this is a terribly difficult concept to grasp.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 am

They are not SD products + They arguably compete with an SD product + They don't utilize SD products = Prohibited topics.

[removed by moderator]

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 am

Don't see how it's difficult to grasp that these services actually help sell SD products.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 am

[removed by moderator]
Hehe. That's pretty funny. So, don't discuss the boundaries of the forum's censoring rules.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm

[removed by moderator]

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”