Outage / missing channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
scollatz

Outage / missing channels

Postby scollatz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:17 am

I understand outages and things happen. What I don't understand is why you don't keep us informed.
is this a hardware failure or is this a dispute with the programmer?
I also understand when you say you are working to resolve the issue, what I don't understand is what exactly are you doing to resolve the issue and what is the ETR.
customer service is the deciding factor when I make a decision to cancel or not. I won't jump ship because of some technical issues, but I will jump ship if I am not kept informed. Customer service is everything!

spencer777

Re: Outage / missing channels

Postby spencer777 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 am

Maybe they CAN'T talk about it

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 am

Maybe they CAN'T talk about it
Exactly this. We're way past the point of "we don't know". Given that SD is usually pretty good at announcing & fixing problems (as recently as *yesterday*), there's no other logical reason why the silence persists. The only thing louder than a chorus of complaining customers is a team of attorneys. That or they have an NDA in place and are honoring that commitment.

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:15 am

I could have sworn I saw a status/health update saying the channels are back dated either yesterday or a couple of days ago. I just tried those channels and they appear to still be missing for me. Do I need to reboot or something? Or am I just hallucinating while in my Hallmark withdrawal?

Also, a notice in status/health indicated we would see a $10 credit. The notice was Dec 9th. I got a payment notification in my email on Dec 11th for $35. I was expecting $25. Again, am I just hallucinating while in my Hallmark withdrawal? I don't really care at this point, like someone else said it not the money, it the principle of offering something and not providing it and not giving a reason why not.

Regarding status in general, I agree with those who are unhappy with the level of status shared. I also agree with those who say maybe they CAN'T share. It would be nice if SD said "We can't share". Or, maybe their NDA says they can't say they can't say. :lol:

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 am

Threads relating to temporary 8-Channel disruption for west coast customers on Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2018:

Question for Admin about today's announcement.
A&E Part of the 8 Channel Issue ? Seeing It Down Today
Confused about the 8 channel issue

No offence intended, but, good grief, people: All it takes is a bit of reading. The threads are all right here in the one sub-forum, with fairly descriptive titles and everything.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:26 am

No offence intended, but, good grief, people: All it takes is a bit of reading. The threads are all right here in the one sub-forum, with fairly descriptive titles and everything.
Also not intended to insult, but:
https://forums.plex.tv/latest
Generally speaking, your standard 'Customer' hasn't been frequenting forums for (gasp!) ever. They don't read 'Forum Rules'. They don't look for other similar posts. They have a problem and are looking for the button to make a post. That's about as far as it goes for them and that's fine. Moderator duty is 'cleaning up' if necessary.

It's interesting to note SD's forums are much easier to navigate and use than the disaster movie posted above, but as a hilarious anecdote to this whole thing - the moderators at the link above climb all over the now inflamed customer base because they don't use the forum correctly.

Query:
How, exactly does one use a Discourse Forum Correctly?
In my book if you got registered on a Discourse Forum, Mr. Robot is wanting to hire you 'cause obviously your part hacker.

lol

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:59 am

The information is there, but it's scattered in 17 different threads. For someone who hasn't been following all the drama or is otherwise new and arrived here from SD's support page, what would they check? Sure, a quick glance down the topics shows a half-dozen threads of outage outrage. But that user seeking help should just check the official Health/Status thread.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=69262
To paraphrase..
Sunday, Dec 9th - We have 8 channels out, we're frustrated and working on it; stay tuned. We're also working on a refund plan.
Tuesday, Dec 11th - We have confirmed 8 channels out affecting Pacific/Mountain Customers. Update - it's fixed.

So, is that one group of 8 or two? If you know the history you probably understand it's two different issues. And the key being the second post specifically calls out Pacific/Mountain customers. But not everyone may catch that or wishes to peruse 150 pages of posts to understand what's going on. And yes, it has been posted that it's just an unfortunate coincidence that both outages involved 8 channels, but again, it's buried in some thread.

I don't understand why the official sticky simply doesn't list which channels are affected for each outage. Or better yet, why there aren't separate official & locked threads for Hallmark and the Discovery group outages with official updates from SD. Very small actions would go a long way towards customer patience and understanding.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 am

Please direct all future conversation about the missing channels here: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=70439

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”