Channels Disappearing

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
palpatine

Channels Disappearing

Postby palpatine » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am

Looks like all the "offline" channels listed here are now no longer on the channel list as being offered in the package. I'm sure there's some complicated reason for it, but it feels a lot like the ole Bait 'n Switch.

Hallmark
DSC
TLC
OWN
APL
TRAV
FOOD
HGTV

I'm not too impressed with Support at this point either. I logged a ticket, and after a few days, I got a response to go and look at this thread for updates.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=69262

I guess I'll start looking for the new "Cord Cutter Holy Grail." Can anyone give me a reason to stick around? The theory was good. I love the Plex integration, although it took a lot of work to get the right air/premium channel guide for it. And the channel lineup was good when I signed up. Not so much now.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Channels Disappearing

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

Hi,

Most of these channels stopped being delivered to us a few days ago. We are still trying to get a clear answer as to why these channels were disabled.

We understand the frustration and we will make things right.

Nick

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:12 am

Last edited by jseymour on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAHomeRunner

Postby GAHomeRunner » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 pm

I added two more Connect Quatro tuners to my network and have just gotten billed for my second month of premium service.
Hallmark was removed from service before Thanksgiving.
As others noted (7 other channels, ones most interested in buying the premium service for) were removed (Discovery, TLC, OWN, E!, FOOD, Travel, HGTV)
Little has be divulged to customers about Hallmark's disappearance.
My household bought into HDHomerun as an all in one TV viewing experience. But whatever is happening behind the scenes with Silicon Dust and the provider is turning out to be less than favorable.

Maybe, just maybe, those channels have been pulled because the above networks don't like a company developing hardware to record their programming on personal computers.

However, I find it appalling that other than a board you have to log into, that Silicon Dust is not taking a better approach with customers to get ahead of the situation. You've got the ability to email to our premium subscription customers but have chosen not to do so. There should really be more communication coming from SD other than this old school forum bulletin board. I can't help but be disappointed, frustrated and angry as I know more subscribers are. Especially as we compare the list of programming we had up until a month ago, vs what you have updated your website to show for premium subscribers.

palpatine

Postby palpatine » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Yeah, well I hope you figure it out pretty soon. Nearly 18% of your channel lineup has been missing for a while now, and you say you don't know why. Probably not the best way to make a splash in the premium TV market. But on the bright side for you guys, I just got my first monthly bill the other day, so that part's definitely working. :D

I've gotta say that I'm not seeing a sense of urgency out of you guys so far. When Hallmark went out, the response was that everyone was off for the holidays, and they would take a look at it when they got back. And that's pretty much all I've heard, until the notification that 7 other channels are also out now.

I guess the good thing for your customers (not so much for you) is there's no contract with this service. You could lose a considerable percentage of your customer base over an outage like this, especially if it continues. If it were my company, and I wanted it to be successful, and I had an outage of this magnitude for weeks and didn't know why, I'm not sure that I or my employees would be going home, much less taking holidays off, until it was fixed. And if you're relying on an upstream provider who is truly that unreliable and disconnected from its customers, that's a plan to fail.

I know it's not life an death. You're reselling TV, not making pacemakers. I get it. But it doesn't matter. You're selling a service that you're currently not providing. People aren't getting what they're paying for from you. And in America, we just don't go for that. Unfortunately our only recourse is to cancel. That should make it a big deal for your company. There are already plenty other players in this market. I could sign up for another one and be watching it tonight. But I would love for you guys to make it. I like what you're trying to do, but it seems like you're not taking it seriously enough to be successful.

I want to believe that you're doing everything you can to resolve this, and I'm willing to give it up to one more billing cycle. But if at that time it's still like it is today, or worse, I'm going back to a company that knows how to do TV.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Deleted own comment
Last edited by rrussis82 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsinema

Postby dsinema » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Hmm something seems fishy here. Another duplicate forum name?
[ Deleted my comment ] - my apologies for jumping the gun. Welcome!

BTW, I’ve owned 4 different HDHR (I’ve used it for OTA Channels) for many years and have found SD very responsive, including swapping out hardware that failed. New services like PTV are going to have growing pains, I was ***** when they first started and channels dropped or were missing many times. But, ***** got it stabilized and it is pretty good for the most part. I’m guessing SD will as well, it just takes some time.
Last edited by dsinema on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:41 pm

BTW, I’ve owned 4 different HDHR (I’ve used it for OTA Channels) for many years and have found SD very responsive, including swapping out hardware that failed. New services like PTV are going to have growing pains, I was ***** when they first started and channels dropped or were missing many times. But, ***** got it stabilized and it is pretty good for the most part. I’m guessing SD will as well, it just takes some time.
Deleted own comment
Last edited by rrussis82 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I don't know why, but I do find this awfully humerus.

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 pm

I also find it humorous. :)

dsinema

Postby dsinema » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 pm

I also find it humorous. :)
Totally! I just wish the biggest problem in my life was loosing 8 channels on a month to month streaming service, that I had spend that much time creating accounts and threads to blast SD...instead of just cancelling.

dwaleke

Postby dwaleke » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 am

Not sure about the other guy, but I'm also not happy about losing these channels.

Is there a thread with more information?

tpm

Postby tpm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 am

Not sure about the other guy, but I'm also not happy about losing these channels.

Is there a thread with more information?
I won't lie to ya, this hasn't been a very pleasant situation. They've been out for a while, and there are more questions than answers. There's not even a sticky thread about it, so I can't blame you for not being sure where to look.

Somewhere around here is a recent update: SD folks don't know why the channels are gone either, are trying to get answers, and say they're as frustrated as us. No ETA for return but said they hope soon.

CaptSmokey6

Postby CaptSmokey6 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am

Come to think of it, SiliconDust and ***** weren't the only ones that suffered from lost channels... Big cable giants and also satellite TV companies occasionally experienced lost channels too! Two very notable examples are dish and direct, they both had disputes at multiple occasions in the past with some networks that resulted in the loss of one or more channels, often multiple channels, which lasted for several days. They, of course, eventually settled the disputes and the channels were brought back to the lineup. I'm pretty sure that the lost channels will return to the HDHomeRun lineup. You guys need to give SiliconDust the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to work things out with whoever is in charge with those networks. These kinds of things often take time to settle, so have patience, everyone. I'm currently on the 2-week premium trial and so far, I'm happy with it. Everything works flawlessly and I have no problems streaming. Of course, it'll be better once those missing channels are back. I'll, unfortunately, have to cancel the subscription a day before the trial is over so I can have enough money to survive the rest of the month, but I plan on re-subscribing when my next paycheck arrives if my finances allow. It's not easy living on a fixed monthly income...

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 am

Come to think of it, SiliconDust and ***** weren't the only ones that suffered from lost channels... Big cable giants and also satellite TV companies occasionally experienced lost channels too! Two very notable examples are dish and direct, they both had disputes at multiple occasions in the past with some networks that resulted in the loss of one or more channels, often multiple channels, which lasted for several days. They, of course, eventually settled the disputes and the channels were brought back to the lineup. I'm pretty sure that the lost channels will return to the HDHomeRun lineup. You guys need to give SiliconDust the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to work things out with whoever is in charge with those networks. These kinds of things often take time to settle, so have patience, everyone. I'm currently on the 2-week premium trial and so far, I'm happy with it. Everything works flawlessly and I have no problems streaming. Of course, it'll be better once those missing channels are back. I'll, unfortunately, have to cancel the subscription a day before the trial is over so I can have enough money to survive the rest of the month, but I plan on re-subscribing when my next paycheck arrives if my finances allow. It's not easy living on a fixed monthly income...
+1..I hear ya Brother..all Americans at one time or another need to
experience living on a budget & fixed income..builds character
and discipline..

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”