Noticeable Improvement in Picture Quality of TCM.

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
TheDetective

Noticeable Improvement in Picture Quality of TCM.

Postby TheDetective » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd just like to say that TCM looks much better than it did. The shimmer effect that used to appear around the edges during camera motion has been significantly reduced. Some of the other channels like Paramount and and FX also look much better. Good job improving the picture and keeping the bandwidth usage low! Now, just get those missing channels back if at all possible, or consider lowering the price to $30 a month. Whatever you do, hold onto TCM for dear life, please! It's definitely my favorite channel.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Noticeable Improvement in Picture Quality of TCM.

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:10 am

Not sure about 'the edges' because those giant stream-staggering glitches pretty much keep my eyeballs from seeing anything else...

Also, if you use something like Plex to dump all these recordings into you'll probably notice without a (YEAR) field exposed anywhere in the UI knowing which version of a Movie is going to be playing/stored is pretty important as is a language 'label' for the audio/subtitle tracks - otherwise Plex doesn't know if forced/not forced subs need to be displayed... or not.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 am

TheDetective - confirming, a number of channels recently got a deinterlace upgrade upstream which significantly improved the picture quality.

ACraigo - stop exaggerating. The problem you are describing is a typically a single frame glitch in a 1 hour TV show. We are QA testing the fix and expect it to roll out next week.

Nick

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:51 am

TheDetective - confirming, a number of channels recently got a deinterlace upgrade upstream which significantly improved the picture quality.

ACraigo - stop exaggerating. The problem you are describing is a typically a single frame glitch in a 1 hour TV show. We are QA testing the fix and expect it to roll out next week.

Nick
It would obviously be ideal if that glitch could be completely eliminated, but the main thing that bothered me was the shimmer, which was much more constant in the picture. I would like to second what he mentioned about file naming and Plex compatibility. At the moment, Plex only recognizes the movie about half the time without having to manually match the movie, and generally, this is due to the extra numbers at the end of the title. Perhaps an option could be added to the HD Homerun DVR software that would allow for a naming scheme that was a bit more compatible with the Plex movie scanners.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”