How long should we wait?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
dsinema

Re: How long should we wait?

Postby dsinema » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 pm

The difference is that with SD Premium TV we all had to invest into their hardware to get the service. With the other OTT's you don't. Now that we bought into their system the channels get pulled. Everyone can say just cancel and switch providers, but what the heck do you do with the HDHomeRun Box?
OTA with HHR box is still there, that's what I was doing before. And ***** for premium type channels, SD's PTV made it enticing to put it all in one interface/app. Not every OTT service offer local channels as part of a base package, so HHR would save on that. ***** was basically the same price as SD, but the limitations on the Disney channels were frustrating.
Not just the box, but the extra storage
Hey, I get it...you don't need to explain it to me. I have 2 HHR and storage. Although storage is not required for PTV, fwiw. And I've tired of this little back and forth on this, everyone here gets it. We all have the setups, I paid money also.

lsawyer

Postby lsawyer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm

You can still use the equipment as it was meant, with an antenna and recording your OTA to a NAS. That's how the equipment was marketed and used before PTV was even a dream.

or if you cancel, you can always sell your equipment. NASs are useful for much more than a DVR. Use free Plex and store movies on it, use it to backup computers, store files.

You are the one whos is being impatient and wanting to cancel with a bump as SD is consistently improving their service. Yes Hallmark is off air for 2 weeks and now 7 other channels are off air for 3 days, but SD already said they were negotiating with other providers and a lot is happening in the next 30 days. If they cannot get them back from Omniverse, they will just have to negotiate those channels from elsewhere. I do not see them throwing in the towel. Things happen, they said they will compensate. No need to threaten lawsuits and bullying them when they are trying to bend over backwards to save you money from cable.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:31 pm

SiliconDust is definitely dedicated to saving money by fighting off the cable industry. Look at what they've done with the Prime and cableCARD. I have a high level of confidence they will get this sorted too.
Last edited by Sammy2 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwhaley29

Postby kwhaley29 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 pm

How long should we wait? The answer to that is going to be different for each person which makes this question seem really asinine. I subscribe to PTV but probably don’t use it as much as other subscribers so to me the loss of channels is having a minimal impact. I’ll probably wait it out but I can certainly understand if others need to move on more quickly.

I like what SD is trying to accomplish wth their service and have been impressed with how accessible these guys are with these forums.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:52 am

My subscription ends on the 19th. So 11 days for me

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 am

Looks like Tiki live Pulled Discovery off their listings
Last edited by spencer777 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:13 am

You can still use the equipment as it was meant, with an antenna and recording your OTA to a NAS. That's how the equipment was marketed and used before PTV was even a dream.

or if you cancel, you can always sell your equipment. NASs are useful for much more than a DVR. Use free Plex and store movies on it, use it to backup computers, store files.

You are the one whos is being impatient and wanting to cancel with a bump as SD is consistently improving their service. Yes Hallmark is off air for 2 weeks and now 7 other channels are off air for 3 days, but SD already said they were negotiating with other providers and a lot is happening in the next 30 days. If they cannot get them back from Omniverse, they will just have to negotiate those channels from elsewhere. I do not see them throwing in the towel. Things happen, they said they will compensate. No need to threaten lawsuits and bullying them when they are trying to bend over backwards to save you money from cable.
well stated...+1000

parkertanner

Postby parkertanner » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 am

Looks like someone is back from their one week "break".

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 am

Oh yeah I forgot about that, he went around it anyways by creating another user name, then started posting as 2 members. Never saw someone so angry over a few channels. Yes many people are frustrated and should be, but under those 2 names he just continued to hammer SD and wouldn't let it go and was egging others on to continue the frustration and spread more FUD through the forum.

Things happen out of our control, we can either let it go and wait for a fix or let anger subdue us and bash, I for one don't let that kind of anger get to me.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:20 am

Oh yeah I forgot about that, he went around it anyways by creating another user name, then started posting as 2 members. Never saw someone so angry over a few channels. Yes many people are frustrated and should be, but under those 2 names he just continued to hammer SD and wouldn't let it go and was egging others on to continue the frustration and spread more FUD through the forum.

Things happen out of our control, we can either let it go and wait for a fix or let anger subdue us and bash, I for one don't let that kind of anger get to me.
Absolutely agree. The channel loss & lack of information is troubling. And everyone's tolerance for the outage is different. But if you fall on the deep end of the anger scale, going rogue with multiple accounts and threats doesn't help anyone get their channels back. Just cancel your service and move on.

None of that excuses SD for the continued ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but I believe them when they say they're just as frustrated as we are.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 am

Oh yeah I forgot about that, he went around it anyways by creating another user name, then started posting as 2 members.
Slow learner, I guess. Thread got locked. Going around that by creating a new thread got him a one-week time-out. So he created a new I.D. and carried on. Then followed-up to one I.D. with the other one, as if they were different people. Sounds like a good way to get perma-banned Image

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:42 am

Exactly, I am so impressed with the technology SD has produced and so happy with their dedication to improve and save me money. I have only been a customer of theirs for a year buying their Prime tuner and DVR and the amount I have saved from cable is amazing. I promote their equipment and services frequently. I show it off to everyone who stops by my house. I have a friend ready to make the switch when the prime 6 come out. Even a friends elderly parents I convinced to go with a quatro and set it up for them, even though they didn't want to go with PTV or DVR, they love it. They went with FireTVs and watch their OTA, PlutoTV, and Hulu and are tickled pink. When someone on my town facebook page complained about Comcast price gauging I promoted SD and got many people interested in how I save money using this equipment. Even folks I work with have been looking into it. When I explain the hardware costs, they reply with that's the price of one months bill, I can do that.

I bought myself a connect duo to test how it would fare in my house with OTA to help me decide what the best path to take. I have used it to bring to friends houses to show what it can do for them. currently It's sitting on a shelf until I can find a decent enough outdoor antenna for the right price. TV fools shows I should be able to get 8 channels with a blue zone antenna with a pre-amp. Once I pull the trigger on that Ill get a quatro and use the duo and prime with it and cut my cable down to the basic lineup and get PTV.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am

Allow me to derail this mere user irritation thread with a complete, fully involved dumpster fire thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/latest

That's what happens when users realize what used to be "Your Media Your Way" is now "Your Media Our Way - or - Make Room For Our Media By Putting Your Media Last".

Roku was the last holdout on the sane app design. It's the express elevator to Crazy Town from here on out.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 am

Allow me to derail this mere user irritation thread with a complete, fully involved dumpster fire thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/latest

That's what happens when users realize what used to be "Your Media Your Way" is now "Your Media Our Way - or - Make Room For Our Media By Putting Your Media Last".

Roku was the last holdout on the sane app design. It's the express elevator to Crazy Town from here on out.
Ha. Yeah, people are freaking out for sure. Of course, I've been using the new app since it was a beta and we've been quite pleased with it. Not really sure what the big fuss is about -- although if you think some of the whining here is bad, it's pretty much constant on the Plex forums. Funny how most of those users never seem to move on though. Guess their complaints aren't really the end of the world.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”