How long should we wait?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: How long should we wait?

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:04 am

Plex underestimated user hate levels with their '50 Clicks To Nowhere' app design. The missing 'feature list' is pretty much equal to the 'previously unfixed bugs list' and they're both running neck and neck with the 'brand new bugs list'.

One user put it nicely when he said that Plex is famous for:
'Release Ugly - Release Often'.

Can't argue with that.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:13 am

Sounds a lot like what Ubuntu tried with their Unity desktop. That was a train-wreck, too.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am

One user put it nicely when he said that Plex is famous for:
'Release Ugly - Release Often'.

Can't argue with that.
Yeah, that's probably fair. I do think one of Plex's problems is trying please and reach everyone. They need to give up on Smart TV apps and just focus on mainstream client hardware. (Of course, I don't know what the international market looks like.)

Either way, I enjoy Plex well enough and it works for us.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am

Sounds a lot like what Ubuntu tried with their Unity desktop. That was a train-wreck, too.
No kidding. Made me go to Debian-proper and never look back.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 am

Yeah, that's probably fair. I do think one of Plex's problems is trying please and reach everyone. They need to give up on Smart TV apps and just focus on mainstream client hardware. (Of course, I don't know what the international market looks like.)

Either way, I enjoy Plex well enough and it works for us.
The real issue is that Plex has completely taken Users OUT of the design process. They have/had a group of volunteer beta testers, but never listened to a word coming back in from that group, opting instead to continue right down the original path... come hell or high water. Plex also began ignoring their 'Power Users', many of whom have been around for a LONG time and have invested heavily in the Plex ecosystem. Plex has effectively alienated the single group that could tell them what is wrong, what is needed and what isn't needed.

Plex has evolved into something nobody wants. Power Users asked Plex long ago why does a family unit need Discovery Hubs? The answer is they don't. People that run a Plex server add that content to the server themselves. They carefully construct the Plexiverse to their own liking, making it easy for family and friends to find exactly what they're looking for. Plex comes along and undermines what the user needs, and has created for themselves, with something Plex cooks up on their own disregarding user outrage completely.

Plex is positioning themselves to highlight 'Other' content and you can see it in every app update they spring on hapless users. Endless Discovery Hubs, just like Netflix or Prime so all the little users can see the Pay Per View (or whatever is next) that is now up front and in your face. Plex, by design, makes navigation '50 Clicks To Nowhere' so more opportunity to buy something pops up while you're looking for something you already have (and can't seem to find).

Plex thumbs it's nose at user dissatisfaction. Some feel that Plex is grooming a brand new user base because they're certainly not listening to their Veteran Users, don't care what they want, and don't seem to mind as more and more take off for Emby. The users that remain, quietly accepting whatever Plex decides is best for them, are the future meat and potatoes for Plex. Noisy, needy Plex Veterans are nothing more than a hazard to navigation - on the road to whatever happy place the New Plex is headed toward.

I'm not sure if Plex was just unaware that Roku Update was a disaster waiting to happen or if they knew exactly what they were doing. Either way they don't seem too worried about it. The employees out there in crowd control are insulting the masses right and left and so far upper management has nothing to say. It's almost like this disaster was planned from the beginning - best to rip the bandage off quickly so the New Plex can scab over and heal with a brand new user base.

The coming days will be interesting - and turbulent. These old users just won't go quietly... like they were supposed to.

Edit:
Ya'll know this guy. He's a Plex Veteran. His words explain perfectly the current situation:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plugins-removal/312587/243
Thanks Carlo... that's it... exactly.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”