Plex and Emby Integration/Tricks

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
elmerF

Plex and Emby Integration/Tricks

Postby elmerF » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

I'd like to start a new thread dedicated to using HDhomeRun Premium with Plex and Emby. Please share your experiences, along with useful tricks for integrating Premium into these apps. Especially interested in techniques to work around the single source Plex guide data problem. Thanks!

Sammy2

Re: Plex and Emby Integration/Tricks

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 am

I'd like to start a new thread dedicated to using HDhomeRun Premium with Plex and Emby. Please share your experiences, along with useful tricks for integrating Premium into these apps. Especially interested in techniques to work around the single source Plex guide data problem. Thanks!
No tricks in Emby. You can use multiple guides or xmltv from another source such as epg123. Emby is changing it's guide provider to Gracenote in the near future but I don't think they'll disallow multiple guides as they've said so on their forum. I run a beta server on the side and all is working well now.

Plex was a PITA to set up. After several tries it just started working with no real explanation..

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:40 am

I actually made a short video on setting up Premium TV with Emby. https://youtu.be/jdjQx1DRDH8

I believe they're going to start transitioning away from using Schedules Direct, but this should work for the moment.

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

I actually made a short video on setting up Premium TV with Emby. https://youtu.be/jdjQx1DRDH8

I believe they're going to start transitioning away from using Schedules Direct, but this should work for the moment.
What are they transitioning to?

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:55 am

Of course now my guide in each has channels I cannot tune at present.

I figure if it goes beyond 14 days they'll just fall off the guide altogether too as they aren't in the channel list generated on the tuners even right now. Seems they're kaput.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am

Gracenote. I believe Schedules Direct is dropping EMBY .. because it is a Premium paid service. It is not on the approved list.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Gracenote. I believe Schedules Direct is dropping EMBY .. because it is a Premium paid service. It is not on the approved list.
Exactly, and the scheduling results should end up being equivalent. Gracenote is the upstream for Schedules Direct (and SiliconDust for that matter), and while the details of the Gracenote contract for Schedules DIrect (and SiliconDust for that matter) is under NDA (so the rest of us have no actual clue), it was reported (by Schedules Direct) to be aggressively priced (for a small client) as long as the downstream apps were truly open source projects(*). Emby is no longer qualified being a paid offering (other apps have fallen into this too), and is in process of migrating to their own contract.

(*) There is a very long involved and convoluted history involved here, and while I could go into it, most likely no one cares.

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Exactly, and the scheduling results should end up being equivalent. Gracenote is the upstream for Schedules Direct (and SiliconDust for that matter), and while the details of the Gracenote contract for Schedules DIrect (and SiliconDust for that matter) is under NDA (so the rest of us have no actual clue), it was reported (by Schedules Direct) to be aggressively priced (for a small client) as long as the downstream apps were truly open source projects(*). Emby is no longer qualified being a paid offering (other apps have fallen into this too), and is in process of migrating to their own contract.

(*) There is a very long involved and convoluted history involved here, and while I could go into it, most likely no one cares.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate you taking the time to basically do a TL;DR of the situation. I understand it better now.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”