8 channels down now?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
RVRover

Re: 8 channels down now?

Postby RVRover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 am

I had cable before this and could record almost all of the said channels they were not DRM.
AFAIK, this is still the case. So, with an HD Prime and a starter cable plan (here in Houston, about $50 for 140 channels) you can have all of the missing channels (plus more) in Plex and the guide will be 100% accurate (no timezone mischief). It's simply a question of a bit more cost. You can record any of the non-DRM channels via Plex.

tpm

Postby tpm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am

Re: The emphasized bit: No, you don't own them. They remain © the copyright holder. And that mistaken bit, that, right there, is very likely the crux of the problem.
Technically IIRC you DO own the files. You just don't own the content on the files. Which is acceptable for personal use. It's all semantics. So it's not unreasonable to say you "own" them as long as you're cognizant of what you're owning.
How about services like Plex where you can invite friends to view your server remotely?
Well technically you're allowed to loan your movies to your friends as part of personal use. It's just a virtual version of that I'd think.

As far as multiple people seeing it at once? Shhhh. (Also, I don't think it's something studios want to fight as long as it's fairly obscure)

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

So it seems cordcuttersnews put out an article about this and put in a lot of speculation... This is not good.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomer ... -channels/

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am

So it seems cordcuttersnews put out an article about this and put in a lot of speculation... This is not good.

Lots of inaccurate information in there as well. Someone from SD PR might want to reach out to them.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 am

Lots of inaccurate information in there as well. Someone from SD PR might want to reach out to them.
What’s inaccurate about this?

dinki

Postby dinki » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 am

What’s inaccurate about this?
"....but it does still include many popular channels not typically available on other services like The Weather Channel and CSpan"

CSPan is a popular channel? I think that's probably inaccurate ... Oh wait, does that mean that the Phase 2 channels we are getting might include CSPAN2??! We can all dream.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am

I question the statement in the article that people saw a DirecTV screensaver prior to the outage. I do not recall anyone posting that in relation to this particular outage. The "DirecTV" question has come up in past (very brief) outages though, which is probably what the writer saw when perusing forum posts. SD has been very clear that DirecTV is not the source. Though a couple of folks claim to have taken screenshots to suggest otherwise. That remains a mystery.

Otherwise seems pretty accurate to me and one mis-statement does not invalidate the rest. Channels are out, SD isn't saying much. Telling that SD couldn't even make a statement to cordcutters for their article. That's troubling.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am

It has not been over a week (except for hallmark)... That they aren't responding in the forums.. there have been multiple responses on the issue (far more than deserved), but since SD does not know the problem, there is little more than they can say other than there is a current outage (I don't expect them to need to repeat that 100's of times). As far as no longer listing those stations, that has already been explained here... they removed them as they currently are not available but at the same time announced not to make anything of that action as that as far as they are concerned, it is an outage, until they know otherwise and at which time they will update us. The responses in that thread are also highly inaccurate (such as not being able to record the channels).

In reading that post, all I could think about is that the bulk of it is fake news... the only thing they got right was that (currently) the channels are not available (and the way they stated such was not accurate), and that sd did not (yet) respond to their email (and I would not expect them to in the time since the bulk of the outage)

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:02 pm

"Over a week" is not technically true but it's awfully close. Hallmark has been out since November 21st, and I believe Discovery & crew went offline early in the morning on Tuesday, 12/4.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinki

Postby dinki » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm really not comprehending how some of you guys can be so understanding when it comes to all this. Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty weird that they can't get a straight answer from their channel provider after this much time? The channels have not been gone for hours but for days, and now you can count it as a week. What kind of deal do they have with this provider that they can't get a straight answer?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Bottom line is people signed up for 45 Channels and they did so based on the channels that were being offered .. this has changed so those that choose to dropout or complain are within their rights... but looking through this thread it appears that many are blaming the customers for being impatient … rather than the provider of the service.

editingfx

Postby editingfx » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Correct, I signed up for Premium based upon the channel offering.

I was willing to be a nice customer and overlook growing pains (encoding, stuttering, etc).

Now the channel lineup has changed and I voted with my wallet.

Service cancelled.

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm understanding to a point in that the channels affected don't bother me that much. The ones I bought the service for are still working. Hallmark is a little annoying due to the time of year (Christmas) and my wife's habit of watching all their shows.

I watch little on the discovery network so those channels vanishing don't matter, and from my view the service is now cheaper and missing things I didn't care about anyway :)

That said, I hope this gets addressed and watching for the results lets me know what to expect should something happen in the future. I lost many a channel on Dish due to contract issues but this doesn't appear to be the same thing, more a tech issue.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty weird that they can't get a straight answer from their channel provider after this much time?
Never been involved with these types of corporate disputes, have you? Typically it goes through many stages, often starting initially at the ticket stage as just another outage (they happen), expecting this to get resolved quickly/amiably, moving to trying to get the various sales/management teams involved to escalate because it is not getting resolved at the tech level, and various delays, deferrals, non-responses happen, and then, at this point, it gets really slow because it has been escalated to legal. And, often most importantly, legal has likely recommended a gag order on staff to outside communications, as any comment can impede the negotiation/resolution/future litigation. Whether you are on the inside, or the outside, life goes difficult.

FD: I am not currently subscribed to the offering. I have no standing.

parkertanner

Postby parkertanner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm

This blogger is a hack. He basically regurgitates stuff he reads on Reddit or other message boards.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”