8 channels down now?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ctalbot

Re: 8 channels down now?

Postby ctalbot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm

They're just another Ominiverse distributor, they even have the same background video as Skystream.

"FlixonTM Media is delivered In Cooperation with Omniverse One Word Television Inc"

Slimjim

Postby Slimjim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:14 pm

+1 frustrated customer. I don't want a $10 credit next month, I want it this month and every consecutive month that these channels are not available in the lineup that I pay for. It is also extremely disturbing that the channels are no longer listed in the marketing material online for premium TV. https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

As seen in the web archive back in September....discovery, hallmark, etc images were listed. Now visiting the same page today, they are not...

Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20180823090 ... remium-tv/

I am glad this service exists and appreciate them for providing it, but some transparency here would be nice folks.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 am

Unless there's a spot in the terms of service that says they can remove any channels anytime, then a $10 future credit is not sufficient. It's basically a discount to account for less channels being provided. There should be partial refunds at a minimum, if not full refunds if people do not think the full service they agreed upon was delivered. Hell, I'm sure a quick phone call to ones bank, requesting a chargeback, would be easily granted. This is likely what I will be doing at the end of my current billing period, if SD does not get these channels back.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 am

Premium TV is exactly the service we all needed right now - the timing is perfect. Personally, I have very little invested in this, but I'm extremely disappointed to see the rug being pulled out from under Silicondust after spending so much time and effort to build this service and configure your hardware accordingly. I have to believe this is an unforeseen setback, and I desperately want to see this endeavor succeed and grow, for my own sake and that of many others.

As part of your customer base, is there anything that I can do to help you?
THIS! This is the most positive post I've read in all these threads. Yes, Nick and Nate, is there anything WE can do to get things up and running again?

satinkzo

Postby satinkzo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:48 am

Premium TV is exactly the service we all needed right now - the timing is perfect. Personally, I have very little invested in this, but I'm extremely disappointed to see the rug being pulled out from under Silicondust after spending so much time and effort to build this service and configure your hardware accordingly. I have to believe this is an unforeseen setback, and I desperately want to see this endeavor succeed and grow, for my own sake and that of many others.

goodness, finally someone who doesn't apparently live on life support with these channels. Not saying I like it, but SD will make things right I'm confident. No one is forced to stay, no contracts, just go to provider that has the channels you want. I have ***** in addition to PTV so I'm not missing anything and got it at a discount with their promo's, but I find myself barely watching it, so I'm not missing much. Also, these channels are available on many providers so the people who absolutely need them can find something easily.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am

goodness, finally someone who doesn't apparently live on life support with these channels. Not saying I like it, but SD will make things right I'm confident. No one is forced to stay, no contracts, just go to provider that has the channels you want. I have ***** in addition to PTV so I'm not missing anything and got it at a discount with their promo's, but I find myself barely watching it, so I'm not missing much. Also, these channels are available on many providers so the people who absolutely need them can find something easily.
Can we save the hyperbole and judgment? Just because people expect to be provided with the advertised service does not mean they "live on life support with these channels." Furthermore, I'm sure you can understand that not everyone shares your confidence, particularly when SD has indicated that they were just as shocked as us and it seems as though this may be outside of their control.

People have a right to be upset. The product is not as advertised. That is a problem, regardless of what the product or price might be.

sspell

Postby sspell » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am

Ha! This is funny about the only thing you guys can do is keep paying your money if you happy with the service. Me at about $25 I would be happy to stay but at $35 me gone.
Think you missing the point satinkoz that makes premium tv great is recording the channels bandwith savings when viewing those recordings and the fact that you own them for your personal use and they're not in the online cloud that every other service is using.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 am

Think you missing the point satinkoz that makes premium tv great is recording the channels bandwith savings when viewing those recordings and the fact that you own them for your personal use and they're not in the online cloud that every other service is using.
You don't own anything - technically. In fact, it's very likely Disney/Other has their @$$-Crack plumb full of wadded up panties because they found out some 'Pirates' (that would be us) are stealing their content by recording it.

Good luck with that lawsuit. Disney has way more lawyers than you (that would be us) could ever bring to the fight.

If we want to record our content for... any reason... we're going to have to be happy with what SD can provide... legally. When it's all said and done the Premium TV Price may have to be adjusted, but it's sho-nuff not likely to look like it did when we signed up. That's just the way it is. in the end if what SD can provide isn't what you need... cancel. Simple as that.

I'm still waiting for what we have to be kicked up to stage 2.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:58 am

... and the fact that you own them for your personal use and they're not in the online cloud that every other service is using.
Re: The emphasized bit: No, you don't own them. They remain © the copyright holder. And that mistaken bit, that, right there, is very likely the crux of the problem.

sspell

Postby sspell » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 am

oh! yep! may be the problem here, but I had cable before this and could record almost all of the said channels they were not DRM. The recordings are on my hard drive that I own and for my personal use all are from charter spectrum cable so tell me how this is different? Been using MS Media Center since 1995 and still have a lot of recordings from that. May not be ownership with rights to distribute but personal use they are mine till someone comes here and deletes them or forces me to..

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 am

oh! yep! may be the problem here, but I had cable before this and could record almost all of the said channels they were not DRM the recordings are on my hard drive that I own and for my personal use all are from charter spectrum cable so tell me how this is different. Been using MS Media Center since 1995 and still have a lot of recordings from that. May not be ownership with rights to distribute but personal use they are mine till someone comes here and deletes them or forces me to..
You, Sir... are a Pirate!

I wouldn't worry too much about it and there are some rather involved technicalities, but make no mistake - you don't own anything. You can watch it, but if two other sets of eyeballs (let's say outside of your immediate family) fall on it - go ahead and turn yourself in to the authorities because you are an outlaw.

Plex serving remote users - outlaws
Emby serving remote users - outlaws
PTV recordings of protected content - outlaws

The FBI isn't likely to kick down your door, but as soon as they win this war on drugs and get bored...

Hang 'Em High and Watch 'Em Dance!

lol
Last edited by ACraigo on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sspell

Postby sspell » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am

Ha! Ha! now that is funny. We are talking "PERSONAL USE" Like in one person allowed to use as he sees fit. That is use ownership or personal rights ownership not content ownership....
Last edited by sspell on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

Ha! Ha! now that is funny. We are talking "PERSONAL USE" Like in one person allowed to use as he sees fit.
Nope... wrong.
Again... some provisions were made for personal in home use.
You still own - nothing - and going outside those provisions is so easy - you can be in The Grey Bar Hotel before you even know what happened.

... and that whole 'Fair Use' thing is limited and is only limited to the United States and UK (I think). Outside US or UK soil - law breakers abound.

tpm

Postby tpm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 am

... and the fact that you own them for your personal use and they're not in the online cloud that every other service is using.
Re: The emphasized bit: No, you don't own them. They remain © the copyright holder. And that mistaken bit, that, right there, is very likely the crux of the problem.
Technically IIRC you DO own the files. You just don't own the content on the files. Which is acceptable for personal use. It's all semantics. So it's not unreasonable to say you "own" them as long as you're cognizant of what you're owning.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 am

Technically IIRC you DO own the files. You just don't own the content on the files. Which is acceptable for personal use. It's all semantics. So it's not unreasonable to say you "own" them as long as you're cognizant of what you're owning.
How about services like Plex where you can invite friends to view your server remotely?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”