8 channels down now?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
rrussis82

Re: 8 channels down now?

Postby rrussis82 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 pm

This is the proverbial straw. Poor encodes, stuttering video, wacky timezone mix so you can't use Plex guides, and multiple channels dropping, without even a notice on the channel stream, just "poof" gone.

Cancelling if support does not address this immediately. Nick's post in the Health/Status thread, while laudable, means nothing without the information of whether these channels are gone for good. And a $10 credit for the NEXT month's service means nothing when I was just billed the day before the outage for a month without these channels, if they do not return. (I'll cancel for sure without Discovery.)

I provide my clients everything they pay for, I expect the same from my vendors.
Every PTV subscribers feels your pain and are frustrated. SD updated the health forum mentioning a credit. They have stated they are as frustrated as you and are also actively looking for the answers. Yes this is a blow to them in this new service, Yes new services have growing pains. Yes you are welcome to express your frustrations here. But with SDs past they always come ahead. They listen to their customers. They expressed they have exciting news in the next 30 days in regard to this service. I am sure with this blow to their service they will come out with something even better. This is still considered an outage and not a drop in the channels permanently. Once they have the answers themselves they will update us. I'm sure if this is permanent from Omniverse, they will negotiate this with another provider. Just be patient and I am positive in the end you will be happy.

dinki

Postby dinki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm

It's great that some user have a really positive attitude about the current situation, but I don't feel the same way. It seems like SD either has no idea what's going on (bad) or knows what's going on and won't tell us (worse). It's not like this outage occurred on the weekend. It's been going on several days and they still can't get an answer on why these stations are unavailable? I'm doubtful SD has any leverage on negotiations if they can't even get a straight answer about why this is going on. Is this even a real business or some sort of experimental venture?

It's fantastic that additional channels are coming, but the channels we've lost are the ones my family watches the most. Adding some fringe channels won't do us any good. I will be cancelling if these stations do not return and would expect a refund should I not renew for the next month.

In regards to the refund, I was promised a refund for the two days of outage we had a few months ago. I was told that a credit system was being put in place and that I would receive a credit for the outage. That never happened and now it seems like the credit system still is not in place?

Again, kudos to those of you who are patiently awaiting, but my patience has worn out. I too have been a SD customer for many, many years. I had several of the old dual tuners from many years ago. SD excels in the hardware department but Premium TV is a big departure from the excellent customer service I've received previously. Please do not judge me or tell me I should feel otherwise.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm

We will see about the new channels. Got a bad feeling its Klowd tv like the other Omniverse sellers offer

RVRover

Postby RVRover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 pm

For me, the $10/month credit is enough to keep me hanging in there, waiting for a better resolution. The credit is meaningful (almost 30% of the fee). You can use the money to pay for *****, which may solve the wife/GF issue for many.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm

For me, the $10/month credit is enough to keep me hanging in there, waiting for a better resolution. The credit is meaningful (almost 30% of the fee). You can use the money to pay for *****, which may solve the wife/GF issue for many.
I understood the credit will apply to renewal of your next month? Is that correct ?

RVRover

Postby RVRover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 pm

That's the way I read it.

Marino13

Postby Marino13 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Nickk,

What will be the refund for those of us moving on and not renewing? My second month renewed as these channels went down. I'm not interested in the service without Discovery and HGTV.

KryptoNyte

Postby KryptoNyte » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Premium TV is exactly the service we all needed right now - the timing is perfect. Personally, I have very little invested in this, but I'm extremely disappointed to see the rug being pulled out from under Silicondust after spending so much time and effort to build this service and configure your hardware accordingly. I have to believe this is an unforeseen setback, and I desperately want to see this endeavor succeed and grow, for my own sake and that of many others.

As part of your customer base, is there anything that I can do to help you?

dgronceski

Postby dgronceski » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

First Hallmark for the Christmas season and now another batch, what's next ESPN, TBS and TruTV just in time for the college bowl games?

A credit for November and December outages would be nice but of a bigger concern we need SiliconDust to please be honest with us now so we do not get trapped over the holidays.

Not to start more rumors, however after trolling the web looking for answers I suspect the silence is an indication that Omniverse did not own the rights for redistribution and PremiumTV is falling apart while SiliconDust is attempting to make other arrangements to avoid stopping the service outright.

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 pm

It appears as though another Omniverse distributor, Tikilive, has Discovery and HGTV offline at the moment. The channel shows "We regret to inform that currently this network is in negotiations and has been temporarily unpublished". I'd post the link but don't know if it violates TOS.

raygu303

Postby raygu303 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm not trying to spread FUD, but in this case maybe it really is Omniverse OWT's fault! Maybe their business model violates some kind of clause in their distribution terms??? If that's really the case then I feel bad for SD! Hopefully we can get these channels back through someone else! And, hopefully without sacrificing the ability to record stuff with tons of DRM!!!

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm not trying to spread FUD, but in this case maybe it really is Omniverse OWT's fault! Maybe their business model violates some kind of clause in their distribution terms??? If that's really the case then I feel bad for SD! Hopefully we can get these channels back through someone else! And, hopefully without sacrificing the ability to record stuff with tons of DRM!!!
[removed by moderator]

raygu303

Postby raygu303 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah,

I Don't know what stage on the seven stages of grief I'm at yet. But in retrospect, SD isn't this huge, massive corporate conglomerate like a lot of these other OTT providers (Sony, AT&T, Dish, etc.) they are a company that makes a niche product for a niche section of geeks and nerds like us. We all are rooting for them to succeed but it looks like they're victims in this too! I just hope that we don't lose the Turner or Viacom nets next! I've been watching [adult swim] religiously since 2001!

travysh

Postby travysh » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm

I decided about 2 weeks to go through with he service. Bought a new quatro (previously just duo), got signed up, started configuring plex and... wait, where's the channels I expected?

I'm still in the trial period, so I can and will back out if these channels aren't coming back. Otherwise I'll just stick with youtube tv, which is a better lineup for me (and same price, since I got in before the price increase)

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm

A quick google search of OTT Distributors I see Flixon is an big up and coming distributor. it would be nice of they could at least temporarily contract the missing channels from them?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”