8 channels down now?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Sammy2

Re: 8 channels down now?

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm

PremiumTV is not the first Live Streaming TV service to be hit with an outage. It has happened at YTTV, DTVN and SlingTV to my knowledge.

It'd be nice to know though if this is an issue with the content owners not being pleased with the portability of DVR'd content or if it is simply a data outage. Because we've not been told one way or another, I have to wonder why other Omniverse based services have not been hit by this and come to think that no other service has portability of recordings like PremiumTV does. Please at least say it's not this.. Then we know it is a technical issue that can be resolved.

Zig

Postby Zig » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

mike3

Postby mike3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:53 pm

PremiumTV is not the first Live Streaming TV service to be hit with an outage. It has happened at YTTV, DTVN and SlingTV to my knowledge.

It'd be nice to know though if this is an issue with the content owners not being pleased with the portability of DVR'd content or if it is simply a data outage. Because we've not been told one way or another, I have to wonder why other Omniverse based services have not been hit by this and come to think that no other service has portability of recordings like PremiumTV does. Please at least say it's not this.. Then we know it is a technical issue that can be resolved.
I sure hope not. How do providers with traditional TV allow DVRing locally then?

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Both Dish & Mediacom formatted the hdd in a format that was encrypted. Just an fyi.

OTOH, when I had Mediacom ( cable ) tv, I used windoze media center, so protected channels had DRM in the recordings that only wmc could play back.

If SD has to perform something similar with recordings in their DVR service, I'd be down with that too. My wife just wants to use 1 app to watch tv.

Zig

Postby Zig » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

ptaylor

Postby ptaylor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm

+1 bothered subscriber

And I just got a new quad tuner that was on sale around Thanksgiving.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 pm

I think the issue that bothers me the most now is the lack of ability for Silicon Dust to figure out the problem. I can understand not having an answer for 24 hours, or a weekend, or even over the entire Thanksgiving holiday, but now we are back into full business times. SD should be able to call someone and get some kind of answers.

Are they really trying to tell us there's no one at Omniverse they can call to ask what's going on? Or worse, is Omniverse saying, "huh, we don't know why you are our only customer without Hallmark."

Alternatively, if there is some kind of contract they agreed to that says they can't talk about the backroom dealings, well that'd be nice to know too.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 am

Has there been any confirmation from SD that Premium TV is powered by Omniverse?

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 am

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

near the bottom is a blurb: Streaming in cooperation with Omniverse One World Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Andrroid

Postby Andrroid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

near the bottom is a blurb: Streaming in cooperation with Omniverse One World Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks!

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 am

I'm actually surprised the issue is with Discovery channels. Disney/ESPN is the most restrictive when it comes to carriage deals. There's a well know OTT provider where you can't even record any Disney based channel.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:37 pm

@Nick, can you please give me a honest yes or no, will these channels come back in the next 2 to 3 weeks? Please do not let us just hang-in there

cjwalkeriii

Postby cjwalkeriii » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:57 am

@Nick, can you please give me a honest yes or no, will these channels come back in the next 2 to 3 weeks? Please do not let us just hang-in there
I completely agree. I really do enjoy the service but the channels blacked out are important to me. If it will only be a few weeks, I can work with that. But if not I need to look elsewhere.
Regardless, those affected to deserve a prorated price.
This is about as fair as I can be as I moved from my prime to quattro and have all of my eggs in one basket now.
Let us know Nick
thanks

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

One suspects their past assurances they would be were based as much on optimism as anything else and they really don't know for sure.

editingfx

Postby editingfx » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:38 am

This is the proverbial straw. Poor encodes, stuttering video, wacky timezone mix so you can't use Plex guides, and multiple channels dropping, without even a notice on the channel stream, just "poof" gone.

Cancelling if support does not address this immediately. Nick's post in the Health/Status thread, while laudable, means nothing without the information of whether these channels are gone for good. And a $10 credit for the NEXT month's service means nothing when I was just billed the day before the outage for a month without these channels, if they do not return. (I'll cancel for sure without Discovery.)

I provide my clients everything they pay for, I expect the same from my vendors.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”