how to remove channels

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
TeleFragger

how to remove channels

Postby TeleFragger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Ok so I have not paid for PTV and don't see myself doing so. My question is simple...
I go into the channel lineup and put an X on all the channels 1xxx and they are still there in the HDHomerun app. I don't want them listed and curious how to get them out.

thanks..

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: how to remove channels

Postby ACraigo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 pm

[removed by moderator]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi,

You can disable channels on the HDHomeRun device webpage, Channel Lineup.

The easiest way to bring up the page is to go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and click on the Channel Lineup link for your HDHomeRun device.

Once there, click the star of each channel to toggle the channel mode to disabled.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Occasionally the clients get some data cached... make sure the client gets restarted.

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

I have 30 OTA channels and have 23 of them "red x-ed" out yet I have to scroll through all 30 channels (Mostly Spanish and SD). This is true of PC and FireTV clients. Does disabling the channels actually do *anything*?

JLM

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:42 pm

I have 30 OTA channels and have 23 of them "red x-ed" out yet I have to scroll through all 30 channels (Mostly Spanish and SD). This is true of PC and FireTV clients. Does disabling the channels actually do *anything*?

JLM
This should be all you need to do to make them go away. Have you restarted your app since x ing the channels? Also, do you have more than one HDHomeRun?

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 am

This should be all you need to do to make them go away. Have you restarted your app since x ing the channels? Also, do you have more than one HDHomeRun?
I have three boxes. Two of the newer two tuner model and one of the old two tuner boxes. Presently one of the newer boxes is on a different subnetwork so sub from NextPVR can use it for testing and ironing out some issues.

So, at the time of writing, My two pc's see one new box and one old box. Both PC's have been rebooted numerous times and still all thirty OTA channels appear in the HD app even though most have red x's in the channel lineup. I power-cycled the newer boxes before posting yesterday to see if that would help.

If you want, I can give you the codes to remote into the test machine. (teamviewer).

JLM

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:38 am

By old do you mean legacy?(3rd gen or older) as there is no easy way to block their lineup wirh SD's software (or other software that relies on the modern methods of obtaining lineup) as the entire scan of found channels is hosted on SD's servers.

The only way to block such is to block the signal of those channels at the time of the scan .

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 am

Ah, I see. Yes I have one of the first or second gen white boxes (Model HDHR-US) that still works for OTA.
Bummer. If I disconnect it, all works as expected.
Shame that there is no way to enable/disable channels/tuners at the app level.

Thanks

JLM

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:30 pm

I think you can remove the demo channels even with your legacy tuners attached. I just tried it and it worked for me. I have two 2nd-gen white boxes and a 4th-gen Connect. I subscribe to PTV but this should also work for the demos.

In addition to X-ing out the channels on my.hdhomerun.com, find your local Digital Antenna.xml file. In Windows it's usually in C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun or C:\Users\All Users\Silicondust\HDHomeRun (they're actually the same directory). Edit it with any text editor and either delete or comment out the unwanted entries. I like Notepad++ because it shows commented-out lines in a different color. A whole section can be commented out by putting <!-- before it and --> after it. For example, this comments out CSPAN:

Code: Select all

<Program>     <Name>CNBC</Name>     <GuideNumber>1121</GuideNumber>   </Program> <!--   <Program>     <Name>CSPAN</Name>     <GuideNumber>1128</GuideNumber>   </Program> -->   <Program>     <Name>ESPN</Name>     <GuideNumber>1205</GuideNumber>   </Program>
You'll have to redo it every time you rescan channels.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Ah, I see. Yes I have one of the first or second gen white boxes (Model HDHR-US) that still works for OTA.
Bummer. If I disconnect it, all works as expected.
Shame that there is no way to enable/disable channels/tuners at the app level.
The old gen boxes still work fine for what they were purchased for, but have (very) limited support for the newer solutions, mostly called tolerance, rather than active participation, in the new ecosystem. As signcarver says, there are various solutions (I would probably add a few more, but they require different under the covers more head standing), but none are exactly as easy to deal with as the new methods. Perhaps time to look for a good deal on a newer gen tuner (or give the original one to NextPVR to play with, I think NextPVR has/had? support for the legacy tuners).

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 am

Dang it, I looked for an xml file to edit and scanned the registry trying to find out where the channel data was stored. Somehow I missed it. The quad tuner box is on sale for $99. That might be the best solution. Thanks for the info

JLM

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”