Stage2, Hallmark, ETC

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
TechTaiycho

Stage2, Hallmark, ETC

Postby TechTaiycho » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm

I would like to personally thank SD and the team for this AWESOME service you provide. This was the only viable option for me and my family to be able to cut the cord completely from big cable. I pay $35/month taxes and fees included. I get a ton of local channels and all the cable channels we actually watch.

Missing Hallmark is a bummer but there are times when life sucks. My wife is REALLY into holiday movies but I believe we will live! I thank you for your support and dedication in getting it back up and running. I don't care if the issues are pricing, technical, down or upstream. If I had asked Comcast why any channel is not working their call center ("nobody important") rep would just read a script saying "they are working on it." I think it's so awesome that we have Nick and Nate actually popping in forums and giving a crap!

I have not gone through all the channels but the ones I do watch are now properly deinterlaced. The quality has improved quite a bit. I am so anxious the get to stage 2. HEVC, higher resoloutions, etc.

I dont know why some of us nice folk are so negative and demanding. None of the Cable companies would take this. So I encourage my fellow SD HDHRunners to be nicer and instead of being negative and demanding, be encouraging and appreciative.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Stage2, Hallmark, ETC

Postby ACraigo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:53 am

I really could care less about Hallmark, it's been de-activated since the day I found out how that bit works, but the user irritation generated by this untimely Hallmark outage (not mentioned anywhere else on the internet) is just another part of what's wrong.
NONE of the channels I watch/record are properly de-interlaced.
ALL of the channels I watch are a glitch filled mess - any cable company on planet Earth would have a truck parked outside my home surrounded by traffic cones fixing the problem because the most basic requirements of a Pay-TV Service is to provide TV. Steady, Clear TV - something PTV has NEVER been able to provide.
The material that arrives via PTV is bit-starved, sub standard, encoded poorly and would not be tolerated by ANY Pay-TV Customer... ANYWHERE.

But, Hey. I knew this going in. I purchased PTV, pretty much in the same shape it is now - broken - because there are ZERO Options available to me. Cable TV/Pay TV via standard means isn't affordable and we ALL were told from day one this little problem would be handled in a timely manner - that time has come and gone. It's time to provide the service we expect, or explain why it isn't possible.
The PTV 'Idea' is a great one, but not one I'm willing to fund in this state while I wait to see if it ever gets any better.
I'm reasonable, not stupid. I'm not in the habit of buying broken things - just to have them.

I have been patient. SD is the provider. I am the customer. Deliver what was promised, or make me believe I'm not throwing my money away. Tell me this is as good as it gets and I'll just go back to downloading everything I watch. Been there, done that, still doing it, while waiting for PTV to evolve into the service I'm willing to pay for... and not yet getting.

This is not fear mongering or in violation of any forum rule.
The service is sub-standard. Let's call it what it is.
Is the service going to remain sub-standard?
No?
Then get with it already.
My patience is at an end.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:01 am

I'd love to say we do this out of the goodness of our hearts, but the reality is what we're doing, trying to maintain a dialog with users, is far more critical for us in our position than for Comcast in theirs. Our users can always simply stop using our service. We've intentionally built the service that way. If you cancel, you're on the hook for 30 days or less of service, and that's it. Comcast, knowing they have near monopoly status in a lot of places, can force you into year long contracts and do really ugly things like preventing you from canceling except over the phone.

We, and most internet companies, have to come up with unique and interesting ways to get your business. And one of those ways is to do our very best to maintain a dialog and be as open as we can. Sometimes, people would like us to be even more open than we can really be, and that's understandable too. Another is to build in acceptance that if our service isn't meeting standards, then users are free to look elsewhere.

Hallmark is definitely a bummer. When it went down, I spent about 30 minutes ripping my hair out. :) I really, really, really want everything to get resolved soon, because I dread having to write anything other than a positive note on Friday.

It's great to hear all the channels you watch are being more properly de-interlaced. I hadn't followed up on that, because it's an upstream thing and I wasn't sure if they'd finished the upgrade yet. For those interested, the affected channels are:

AMC
ANIMAL
BRAVO
CNBC
COMEDY
CSPAN
DISCOVERY
DISNEY
FREEFORM
MSNBC
TLC
TRAVEL

There may be more. Those are the ones listed in the original email. And it looks like they all got updated by the 22nd. But, of course, this is still very much a 1.5 thing.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:14 am

Thank you for the update on 1.5. I'm pleased to see more channels are updated. I'll check it out.

But I'm with ACraigo. I've paid for a few months of HDP and am likely allowing my sub to expire next week primarily due to the lack of any real progress or even information on 2.0. I'm not trying to violate terms or stir the pot, but it's simply a fact that every other OTT provider I've tried (all of the major ones) have better PQ than HDP for about the same price. But of course every service has pros and cons, else I'd run open-arms to them.

I gripe because I want HDP to have the same PQ that other services provide if they want to be a real competitor. Cord-cutting/shaving and OTT service subscriber counts are increasing rapidly now, and I want to see SD be successful catching that wave so they can continue to innovate and bring us awesome products and services. I'm just concerned they're going to get left behind since HDP is, IMHO, underperforming.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:39 am

I gripe because I want HDP to have the same PQ that other services provide if they want to be a real competitor. Cord-cutting/shaving and OTT service subscriber counts are increasing rapidly now, and I want to see SD be successful catching that wave so they can continue to innovate and bring us awesome products and services. I'm just concerned they're going to get left behind since HDP is, IMHO, underperforming.
Exactly.

My message is not one of hate. It's a plea from just inside the event horizon of a WV Black Hole where nothing arrives (not even light) without large deliveries of cash - too large to be absorbed as 'just the cost of watching TV'.

PTV IS our only hope (Obi Wan)... if it works. Currently it's not working.

TechTaiycho

Postby TechTaiycho » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:44 am

I mostly watch CNN and the picture quality is way better than when PTV started. I just took the time to look around and check out the other channels and I can honestly say I understand the complaints. I remember watching CNN one day and realizing that the scrolling bar at the bottom was a lot smoother. Then it hit me... this must be Stage 1.5 and it was. This gives me hope! I believe one day in the very near future, everyone PTV subscriber will be watching and say "hey, this looks a lot cleaner." Until then, I will continue my subscription as the alternatives are far worse IMHO. SD has a track record that proves their customer support and dedication. I would hate if they lose too many customers too early. My fellow PTV subscribers, I implore you, patience.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”