Internet performance tracking

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
satinkzo

Re: Internet performance tracking

Postby satinkzo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:39 pm

love this feature (but I do similar stuff daily with data so maybe I'm biased).

one thing I can't track is when i randomly get the !connection lost message, but nothing on the data indicates anything happened. It would be nice to be able to maybe flag a time slice when we had an issue and help you guys track any issues back or see if it's widespread or localized.

mezz64

Postby mezz64 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Can you provide any insight on how we get routed through which data center? I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and notice I sometimes go through ATL and other times through NYC. NYC always has a lower RTT by about 5ms, but oddly enough it seems like I get fewer video hiccups when i'm routed through ATL.

I wouldn't say I've checked often enough to say that pattern is consistent at this point, just more of a curiosity since I've seen it bounce around.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Can you provide any insight on how we get routed through which data center? I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and notice I sometimes go through ATL and other times through NYC. NYC always has a lower RTT by about 5ms, but oddly enough it seems like I get fewer video hiccups when i'm routed through ATL.

I wouldn't say I've checked often enough to say that pattern is consistent at this point, just more of a curiosity since I've seen it bounce around.
The system picks any datacenter that is within 5ms of the closest datacenter.

We are working on enhancements that better take into account peering points and real-time performance.

Nick

jethrocne

Postby jethrocne » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:42 am

While streaming last night (recording in Channels) and watching ESPN this morning I get a break in the chart that looks like I've lost connection. Is the chart accurate? If so, what would cause the drop? I'm on Comcast and using "pro-level" gear (Ubiquiti USG, Ubiquiti APs and Dell Managed Gigabit switches). Anything that can be done from the user side to keep feeding data on this?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:20 pm

While streaming last night (recording in Channels) and watching ESPN this morning I get a break in the chart that looks like I've lost connection. Is the chart accurate? If so, what would cause the drop? I'm on Comcast and using "pro-level" gear (Ubiquiti USG, Ubiquiti APs and Dell Managed Gigabit switches). Anything that can be done from the user side to keep feeding data on this?
Every now and again you will see a 1 minute sample with no data - this is normal (related to normal connection pipelining limits).

If you see a drop rather than no-data we can take a look - best it to post right away and include the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

jethrocne

Postby jethrocne » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Every now and again you will see a 1 minute sample with no data - this is normal (related to normal connection pipelining limits).

If you see a drop rather than no-data we can take a look - best it to post right away and include the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick
Good to know! Thanks

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”